Church fathers on slavery

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1995
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 23 2017 12:19 AM

Are there any books that talks about church fathers and what the individuals believes about slavery in their time?

Posts 1086
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 23 2017 6:13 AM

This isn't quite what you're asking for, and I don't know if he's early enough, but Augustine talks about slavery in City of God, book 19, chapter 15, if you have that. I don't have Logos installed where I am so I can't give you a direct link. [Best I can do at the moment is a biblia link.]

I was just at the Abraham Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL, with my 4th grade son, and there was a "theological justification" given for chattel slavery (different from ancient slavery), and reading it made me sad. Unfortunately I cannot remember the author's name at the moment. Lincoln expressed his disgust with the ideas in that letter, but it's a clear call to do careful exegesis and avoid eisegesis. 

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 23 2017 7:27 AM

You may find discussion of this in some dictionaries. For instance, there is some treatment of it in the IVP Dictionary of Later New Testaments & Its Developments (which often includes discussions of early fathers).

Posts 977
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 23 2017 9:40 AM

I don't own this, but I wonder if volumes of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture have citations from church fathers when commenting on passages that mention slavery explicitly.

Posts 1035
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 23 2017 9:54 AM

From the net I came across this post, I have not looked into its accuracy:

Many monks contributed much toward a more just and moral society. From the ranks of the monks emerged the earliest condemnation of slavery. Gregory the Theologian, bishop of Nazianzus first, and later Patriarch of Constantinople, denounced the practice of holding slaves. His friend Basil of Ceasarea did not favor it but tolerated the institution as an established evil. Their contemporary Eustathios of Sebasteia condemned slavery and even advocated revolts by slaves. Later in the eighth and early ninth centuries, Theodore the Studite denounced slavery and forbade monks to possess, and the monastery to employ, slaves. In his rules for the hegoumenos of the Studios Monastery, Theodore advised: “You shall not possess a slave either for your own use or for your monastery or for the fields, since man was created in the image of God.” Eustathios, the twelfth century monk, archbishop of Thessaloniki, and critic and reformer of monasticism, condemned slavery as an evil and unnatural institution and advocated manumission.

– Christian Faith and Cultural Heritage: Essays from a Greek Orthodox Perspective, p. 162.

This link to the Catholic encyclopedia is also very interesting http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14036a.htm

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 23 2017 12:05 PM

Mike Pettit:

This link to the Catholic encyclopedia is also very interesting http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14036a.htm

The Catholic Encyclopedia (17 vols.) It is a shame there is less traction on this wonderful resource.

-dan

Posts 1035
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 23 2017 12:30 PM

Dan Francis:

Mike Pettit:

The Catholic Encyclopedia (17 vols.) It is a shame there is less traction on this wonderful resource.

-dan

That's the tragedy, it has more bids than anything else but people have bid so ridiculously low that it will never go into production unless Logos funds it as part of a base package.

Posts 2919
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 24 2017 5:54 AM

Mike Pettit:

That's the tragedy, it has more bids than anything else but people have bid so ridiculously low that it will never go into production unless Logos funds it as part of a base package.

Follow the trend line.  Looks like if all that have bid $30 bid $90 it would ship. 

Posts 1704
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 24 2017 7:15 AM

David Ames:
if all that have bid $30 bid $90 it would ship. 

I did but I don't see much difference

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 2919
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 24 2017 9:06 AM

Veli Voipio:

David Ames:
if all that have bid $30 bid $90 it would ship. 

I did but I don't see much difference

Just wait until EVERYONE else also does!!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS