I bought Collector's first...

Page 4 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 103 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:10 PM

aboutthelord:

Dan Francis:

But it is good for him to examine them himself we can all offer our opinions but we are all different. Tyndale is not all that helpful to me, indeed I just looked into Galatians 5 and found much useful material in AYBC and Hermeneia but virtually none in Tyndale but that is me. Were price not a concern and I had to choose between the three Hermeneia would likely be my choice, but Tyndale would definitely hit last place for me. For Mark B, it very well might be Tyndale would be his best choice. 

-dan

I was looking into some of the suggestions on here and one of the good ideas to me was Baptist Portfolio. BUT... I was just looking at standard platinum and then dynamic pricing over to Baptist platinum. I would then have a good mix of commentary in my opinion. if you go do a side by side of platinum and Baptist platinum it looks good to me. I could use my 10% cash back on NICOT/NICNT. Any one think this is good/dumb?

What do you see in Platinum which you want but cannot get in Gold? For both standard and Baptist,  the bump from gold to platinum is the worst step up in my opinion.  I would get gold for each,  then pick up BDAG separately if you will use it. 

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:10 PM

aboutthelord:

Dan Francis:

But it is good for him to examine them himself we can all offer our opinions but we are all different. Tyndale is not all that helpful to me, indeed I just looked into Galatians 5 and found much useful material in AYBC and Hermeneia but virtually none in Tyndale but that is me. Were price not a concern and I had to choose between the three Hermeneia would likely be my choice, but Tyndale would definitely hit last place for me. For Mark B, it very well might be Tyndale would be his best choice. 

-dan

I was looking into some of the suggestions on here and one of the good ideas to me was Baptist Portfolio. BUT... I was just looking at standard platinum and then dynamic pricing over to Baptist platinum. I would then have a good mix of commentary in my opinion. if you go do a side by side of platinum and Baptist platinum it looks good to me. I could use my 10% cash back on NICOT/NICNT. Any one think this is good/dumb?

What do you see in Platinum which you want but cannot get in Gold? For both standard and Baptist,  the bump from gold to platinum is the worst step up in my opinion.  I would get gold for each,  then pick up BDAG separately if you will use it. 

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:11 PM

aboutthelord:

I mean, for example collectors was $9,7xx.xx... supposedly discounted 10% from $10,7xx.xx

Would I have been able to get it at $8,800ish?

Yes, you would get it probably less than that as an LN member (because the discount is cumulative and ends up being better than 20% off).

Once you decide which base package you want to buy, just call Customer Service. They can add an LN subscription to your order and refund the difference.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:12 PM

hermeneia, it the main reason for standard platinum.

Blessed Be Your Name O God!

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:14 PM

aboutthelord:

Sounds good.  I wouldn't sweat the decision too much. Platinum is always a good place to start with Logos. If you're combining that with Baptist Platinum I assume you're getting the NAC series which is a quality series that is accessible to non-scholars and covers the whole bible. You can always add other stuff as needed. Paying for Collector's over the course of 20 months is the equivalent of a car-note, which doesn't seem necessary or wise.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:14 PM

PetahChristian:

aboutthelord:

I mean, for example collectors was $9,7xx.xx... supposedly discounted 10% from $10,7xx.xx

Would I have been able to get it at $8,800ish?

Yes, you would get it probably less than that as an LN member (because the discount is cumulative and ends up being better than 20% off).

Once you decide which base package you want to buy, just call Customer Service. They can add an LN subscription to your order and refund the difference.

I really hope that you are correct! This has me excited!

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:15 PM

and I hope that this did just change, cause I asked about the LN discount before I purchased and was told no...

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:19 PM

aboutthelord:

As an evangelical,  I find Hermeneia useless for studying the Bible. It is very rarely interested in the meaning of the biblical text. Check out its comments before you make your decision and see if you think it will be helpful.  I only use it academically. If that is not a factor for you,  that is money down the drain.  Gold is the best value and will be paid off in a hurry if you maintain your current payment.  Add NIC and the IVP dictionaries, buy the LearnLogos.org training and save your money for the Christmas and March Madness sales.

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:19 PM

aboutthelord:

As an evangelical,  I find Hermeneia useless for studying the Bible. It is very rarely interested in the meaning of the biblical text. Check out its comments before you make your decision and see if you think it will be helpful.  I only use it academically. If that is not a factor for you,  that is money down the drain.  Gold is the best value and will be paid off in a hurry if you maintain your current payment.  Add NIC and the IVP dictionaries, buy the LearnLogos.org training and save your money for the Christmas and March Madness sales.

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:22 PM

aboutthelord:

and I hope that this did just change, cause I asked about the LN discount before I purchased and was told no...

As an aside, when you get the LN membership, you might only want to buy a library (books), instead of a base package (books, features, and tools), as one of the benefits of LN is that it includes all the features and tools (of the Full Feature Set).

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:22 PM

Justin Gatlin:
 I only use it academically

First off, this is not to be offensive to you... BUT...

What is the difference in study and academics? If it is bad it is bad, correct?

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:27 PM

aboutthelord:

Justin Gatlin:
 I only use it academically

First off, this is not to be offensive to you... BUT...

What is the difference in study and academics? If it is bad it is bad, correct?

I mean I generally only cite it to refute it in a paper or a comparison of viewpoints. That is not helpful when studying to understand. At least, it is not helpful enough to justify the cost.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:28 PM

Justin Gatlin:

aboutthelord:

The main benefit of platinum for me is the original language resources. He may want to get into the original languages at some point in the future, with platinum he'll already have the best lexicons for Greek and Hebrew and he'll have the NA28 and BHS. My humble opinion. I also don't think it hurts evangelicals to read non-evangelical resources, although Hermeneia is a bit (more than a bit) on the technical side. Doesn't hurt have it though, he may find some useful info in them among all the technical stuff.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:33 PM

Yeah it is $540 more and that is a good deal for Hermeneia in my opinion considering the cost of it. Also Like Kiyah said, it does come with some other cool stuff... now as far as Baptist Gold vs Baptist Platinum I may look into that more. NAC, College press, and Holman commentary was a few that had my attention.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:40 PM

Spurgeon, Josephus, NIV College Press, and founders journals are not in Baptist Gold either... Those seem cool to me, maybe worth it if the price isn't too bad

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:42 PM

aboutthelord:

Yeah it is $540 more and that is a good deal for Hermeneia in my opinion considering the cost of it. Also Like Kiyah said, it does come with some other cool stuff... now as far as Baptist Gold vs Baptist Platinum I may look into that more. NAC, College press, and Holman commentary was a few that had my attention.

540 is a good deal if you will use it.  But humor ne and read the comments on a random passage (Matthew 10:34-39) and see if you will ever use it.  If not,  Platinum is a poor value,  because if you learn to responsibly use the original languages,  you can buy those tools cheaper and skip the public domain filler. I started with diamond in L5 because I was starstruck, and regretted not starting with Gold and adding as I learned.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:59 PM

Dan Francis:

I just looked into Galatians 5 and found much useful material in AYBC and Hermeneia but virtually none in Tyndale but that is me. Were price not a concern and I had to choose between the three Hermeneia would likely be my choice, but Tyndale would definitely hit last place for me.

-dan

Dan the Man likes Hermeneia.... ;)

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 9:33 PM

So considering I was considering (temporarily) to go with Collectors, anything under $5k seems great to me... One thing I just looked at was getting: Platinum, and then adding Baptist Platinum, and Methodist Gold. That is looking like a good package to me. We will see tomorrow when I ask my sales rep at Logos. I will let you all know.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 11:36 PM

aboutthelord:

So considering I was considering (temporarily) to go with Collectors, anything under $5k seems great to me... One thing I just looked at was getting: Platinum, and then adding Baptist Platinum, and Methodist Gold. That is looking like a good package to me. We will see tomorrow when I ask my sales rep at Logos. I will let you all know.

Methodist Gold is good because it has the Interpretation series, which is very accessible and good quality scholarship. Good for preachers and teachers. Now I'm excited to know what you end up choosing (living vicariously through you). Plus the Methodist packages have a lot of overlap with the standard packages so you should get really good dynamic pricing on it.

Posts 44
aboutthelord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 8 2017 12:47 AM

Kiyah:

Methodist Gold is good because it has the Interpretation series, which is very accessible and good quality scholarship. Good for preachers and teachers. Now I'm excited to know what you end up choosing (living vicariously through you). Plus the Methodist packages have a lot of overlap with the standard packages so you should get really good dynamic pricing on it.

Yes, I really like this bundle! If you go do a side by side comparison of the Platinum, Baptist platinum, and Methodist gold, It is a pretty neat package for a layperson and a minister. Everything missing in each fills the holes I was looking to fill. Not sure about you scholarly folks out there...

I feel everyone agrees AYBC, ICC, and some other resources are overkill/unnecessary for me. Now if you all get back on here saying I should get them one day, I am returning collectors and selling my computer ;) cause I went with collectors original for future proof, but collectors really is missing some good stuff...

Page 4 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS