Logos Now

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1108
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 23 2017 6:00 AM

I just retired, so I have been cutting down on my expenses.  (Bought too many books in my life)

My Logos Now is coming up for renewal.  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I don't do a lot of fancy stuff with Logos, but I do  upgrade when upgrades are available.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 6:34 AM

Larry Craig:

My Logos Now is coming up for renewal.  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

In this thread, someone else is considering this question; maybe the replies there will be helpful to you: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/147051.aspx 

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 7:19 AM

When you upgraded to Logos 7, did you only buy a library (books), or did you buy a base package (books + feature set)?

I think the most significant question is which features you might lose, if you've been renting features, but not owning them. (Logos Now is the same as Logos Cloud in the comparison chart.)

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 1108
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 8:31 AM

I just bought the base program.  I already had thousands of books, and what Logos 7 had that I didn't have, I didn't need or want.

Posts 1108
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 8:39 AM

Thank you.  I am so overwhelmed with information that I don't understand that I will probably do nothing that automatically renew.

Posts 1108
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 8:41 AM

thank you.  Too much information that I am not understanding.  I'll probably just let it auto renew.

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 11:17 AM

Larry Craig:

thank you.  Too much information that I am not understanding.  I'll probably just let it auto renew.

Larry, I've been considering the same question, as mine's up for renewal next month too. Then I got an email from Logos that said they were going to offer a choice of a free book (to KEEP), monthly. I don't know if the list changes each month or if it ever changes... For at least this coming year, I found enough value in the 1st free book I picked + the potential for more that I'll renew.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1108
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 11:21 AM

That's still a hundred bucks.  I have A LOT of books.  I still buy a lot but a lot less.  

I'll probably just stick with it.

Thanks

Posts 64
JFritschJr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 11:48 AM

I do subscribe.  I dont remember a free book other than the normal monthly one. Details?

Posts 29615
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 23 2017 11:59 AM

JFritschJr:

I do subscribe.  I dont remember a free book other than the normal monthly one. Details?

You <should > have received an email. See this thread : https://community.logos.com/forums/t/146616.aspx 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 9:27 AM

Hi john Pavvo.  :-)

There is no news on Logos 8, other than the devs are working on features for it.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2889
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:00 AM

What would be the top five reasons to keep Logos Now?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1559
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:49 AM

I can only think of two at this point...

1) Continue to have access to some of the "features" because I didn't purchase the "feature set"... I'm basically renting it, I think;

2) Continue to *hope for* preview of new features that are supposedly in the pipeline.

The monthly free book, access to FL TV etc are not that important to me.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 9:22 AM

I'm not a Now-er, but it just seems like the whole thing is going to become squirrel-ly. 

- Having to re-buy features. Now-ers have to wonder, year after year, as it adds up.

- Now-er features slipping out of Now. The Bible Browser and web app. I fully accepted not for not-Now-ers. Now, I wonder about Now-er value.

- Clarity of value. On Amazon Prime, the pieces are pretty guaranteed ... easy to calculate. Now is a more hazy issue.

- Finally, Logos moves on. It's not unusual for Logos. And Now-ers? I'd assume Logos'd have to deliver owned features. Undo'ing their revenue stream.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 29615
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 9:30 AM

Re-buy features? Why?

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 9:48 AM

I'm in a similar situation, retired now- but just underwent one surgery, another scheduled for November- just my portion is thousands of $$$- so did what was right- cancelled NOW renewal, and all prepubs, CP's may come next if need be. I have 15k books, don't see the need for more or any of the media offerings, even though Hebrews was desired.

Do what is best for you and yours- I did and do not regret it, despite the so-called perks.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 10:17 AM

alabama24:

Re-buy features? Why?

Your question is apropo. If you stop Now'ing, you'll have to wonder about a loss. Or presume the features are no-value. Either way. 

I think you're in that boat, and have decided 'Now or never'. My impression, possibly (likely) wrong.

Posts 29615
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 10:51 AM

Denise:
I think you're in that boat, and have decided 'Now or never'.

The single most important feature to me about Logos is the unified, searchable library. That is available with the free, core engine. There are other features which I really enjoy, but I would be "ok" with losing those features if I could no longer afford NOW. Presumably, my needs for Logos would also be lessened under those circumstances. In the long run, Logos Now is a cheaper way to have access, as long as the user understands that (s)he will lose access to certain features when they stop subscribing. 

For that matter, someone could create a special "shush fund" with the difference saved between purchase and subscription, and be able to fall back on those funds for the period of time needed. 

Additionally, the savings that pop up make it more attractive (i.e. the $50 coupon recently given to LN members). 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 11:08 AM

I guess I'm a lazy-girl. Write'em a check every 2-3 years and call it a day. I don't like ifs, ands, and buts.  But in my more youthful days, an update was excitement time.  A discount?? Oh, wow!!

I still think Logos'd be smart to book a credit to feature ownership for Now'ers. Just enough to erase the issue (maybe 25% or so).

Posts 29615
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 11:29 AM

Denise:
I still think Logos'd be smart to book a credit to feature ownership for Now'ers.

I am not positive, but I think that they do. With dynamic and academic pricing, it is hard for me to keep up with how my pricing is calculated. 

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS