Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:04 PM | Locked

Philip Spitzer:
I thought we got our count with pointless posts and making fun of each other.... :-)

You're not helping ;)

Posts 6776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:10 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Jeff Loven:

Anyone have any insights on when we might see the next beta of 4.0c?

We haven't yet decided if it will be tomorrow (right before the long weekend!) or next week.

Some say tomorrow, others say next week. Bradley make it easy on yourself. Release it tonight. Smile

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:10 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

A beta version is unsupported software (almost by definition). If we do release it tomorrow, it's because we consider fixing the known bugs (that are preventing current beta testers from using the software) to be a greater benefit than the risk of introducing new bugs.

Installing the update is optional; if you require Logos employees to be "in place to deal with problems arising from unexpected critical flaws" then I suggest you simply avoid installing it until Monday morning (PDT).

I know Bradley and I will wait.... It just seems that so many Friday releases of resources and of software (Beta and otherwise) have gone bad....

During the Private Beta, most releases were made on a Monday. This allowed any critical flaws to be quickly acknowledged and subsequently eliminated. It seems that it is only since the Public post-release Betas that we have seen so many Friday drops.... 

Do whatever you will (as you would have anyway)

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:23 PM | Locked

John Fugh, Jr.:

I am not sure how I got beta 2 on my computer, but have you seen this bug?

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/14671.aspx

What you have isn't the real beta 2 (and I'm not sure how you got it); I have replied on that thread.

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:37 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

A beta version is unsupported software (almost by definition). If we do release it tomorrow, it's because we consider fixing the known bugs (that are preventing current beta testers from using the software) to be a greater benefit than the risk of introducing new bugs.

Installing the update is optional; if you require Logos employees to be "in place to deal with problems arising from unexpected critical flaws" then I suggest you simply avoid installing it until Monday morning (PDT)

Release it - it's only a beta and Australia & New Zealand is on holiday from Friday thru Monday anywayStick out tongue

Just tell people to turn off Auto Downloading until next week or they hear that it is OK.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 2:37 AM | Locked

Today Today Today!!!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 4:31 AM | Locked

So I think Dave is saying we have 4 whole days to play with it, break it, fix something, break it again, reinstall it a few times, and maybe even read some scriptures before thinking of work on Tuesday morning ...

Bring it on please ... (if its ready to go)...

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:07 AM | Locked

Damian McGrath:

Bradley Grainger:

Installing the update is optional; if you require Logos employees to be "in place to deal with problems arising from unexpected critical flaws" then I suggest you simply avoid installing it until Monday morning (PDT).

I know Bradley and I will wait.... It just seems that so many Friday releases of resources and of software (Beta and otherwise) have gone bad....

During the Private Beta, most releases were made on a Monday. This allowed any critical flaws to be quickly acknowledged and subsequently eliminated. It seems that it is only since the Public post-release Betas that we have seen so many Friday drops.... 

Do whatever you will (as you would have anyway)

But releasing on a Friday also requires those of us who are afraid of "Friday breakage" to shut off the internet connection for Logos, because the update is automatic.  I would humbly suggest that you review the dozens of threads about Friday problems and NOT release it on a Friday.  Logos track record on this is less than stellar.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:21 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

+1...I'd personally go even further and say that if you can't afford to be "put out of commission" by some unforeseen critical bug, then you shouldn't be running beta software at all.  You should be sticking the the stable code.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:25 AM | Locked

Terry Poperszky:
Trouble is, the beta forum shows up on the forums home page, so all the non-beta users are scared spitless when  a beta flaw wipes out the L4 beta installations and hundreds of posts over a weekend show up documenting the damage. But, this is the business plan that Logos has chosen, they are adults and will deal with the fall out of their choices.

Unless I'm missing something, I've NEVER seen the beta forum on the forum home page.  It might be because I'm not on the beta cycle...I'm not sure.  I always have to do a search to get to the beta forum.

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:37 AM | Locked

Fred Greco:

But releasing on a Friday also requires those of us who are afraid of "Friday breakage" to shut off the internet connection for Logos,

Is it not possible to simply type "set update to default" in the command bar, or is it the case that once your working with a beta default doesn't mean download only release versions?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:37 AM | Locked

Ron Keyston Jr:
Unless I'm missing something, I've NEVER seen the beta forum on the forum home page.  It might be because I'm not on the beta cycle...I'm not sure.  I always have to do a search to get to the beta forum.

These posts show up under "Recent Topics" on http://community.logos.com/forums/

This is where I usually go to first see what's recent, if there's anything new in my discussions, and if anybody's questions are unanswered.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:39 AM | Locked

Dudley C. Rose:
Is it not possible to simply type "set update to default" in the command bar, or is it the case that once your working with a beta default doesn't mean download only release versions?

The command would be set update channel to default. I'm not sure that would prevent an update or not, if you're already in the beta. But I think it does prevent it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:43 AM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:

The command would be set update channel to default. I'm not sure that would prevent an update or not, if you're already in the beta. But I think it does prevent it.

Thanks for correcting that most important omission. Embarrassed

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:56 AM | Locked

Fred Greco:

But releasing on a Friday also requires those of us who are afraid of "Friday breakage" to shut off the internet connection for Logos, because the update is automatic.

No, just turn automatic updates off (I always have it set to 'off'). That way Logos notifies you of the update, but won't download it without your permission.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 778
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 9:48 AM | Locked

Count me in for a Friday drop if you are ready, Logos. I expect ZERO support on this. I understand it is a Beta, and have read the warnings, etc.

I am amazed that anyone would expect support for a voluntary Beta.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:33 AM | Locked

Jerry Bush:

Count me in for a Friday drop if you are ready, Logos. I expect ZERO support on this. I understand it is a Beta, and have read the warnings, etc.

I am amazed that anyone would expect support for a voluntary Beta.

Jerry

Yes +1

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:38 AM | Locked

They will be off Good Friday

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:42 AM | Locked

Logos decision makers...

If you drop it today that will give us more time to play around with it, collect our bugs, and maybe even figure some things out on our own. In other words, we may come to realize that some of the things that we first thought were bugs were not and weed them out of our bug reports, which of course would mean less for for you in the end. Wink

A shameless appeal from my selfish side to yours....

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:16 AM | Locked

Hey Bradley and Logos et al, just pull the trigger at your command. I'll down load the Beta on my main system regardless. I've been Beta testing quietly for a long time. So I know the consequences and believe me the benfits of running the beta far out way the "sky is falling" fanfare of a new bug introduction. I've been hit by a few of the bugs and they are annoying yes, but you folks get it fixed as quickly as possible.

So release the beta whenever, doesn't matter to me.

Oh BTW have a great long weekend in celebrating Ressurrection Day!! Big Smile

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS