Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 56 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:24 AM | Locked

Fred Greco:

But releasing on a Friday also requires those of us who are afraid of "Friday breakage" to shut off the internet connection for Logos, because the update is automatic.  I would humbly suggest that you review the dozens of threads about Friday problems and NOT release it on a Friday.  Logos track record on this is less than stellar.

Installing an updated program always requires manual intervention: either you have to click the tooltip that says an update is available, or you have to click "Yes" at startup on the dialog that prompts you to install an update.

Only resource updates get installed automatically (once downloaded) by restarting the program.

It's not necessary to turn Internet Use off; as other posters have noted, you can disable "Automatically Download Updates" for the weekend. (And even if you did download the update by mistake, it wouldn't get installed automatically, as noted above.)

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:26 AM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:

Dudley C. Rose:
Is it not possible to simply type "set update to default" in the command bar, or is it the case that once your working with a beta default doesn't mean download only release versions?

The command would be set update channel to default. I'm not sure that would prevent an update or not, if you're already in the beta. But I think it does prevent it.

The "default" update channel for a beta release is the beta channel, so that the program (by default) keeps updating itself.

You can explicitly override this by entering set update channel to stable. If you do this (not recommended) you will stay on Beta 1 and not get any further updates until 4.0c is released to all users (via the "stable" channel). If you do want to do this for the weekend, you can undo it by entering set update channel to default; this will return you to the system default for the program.

Posts 671
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 12:52 PM | Locked

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:03 PM | Locked

I have downloaded the Beta ie 4.0c Beta 2

BUT the "phrase" above after the release numbers is missing.

So then I also entered"set update channel to default" into the command bar.

No change.

What am I "not" doing?

WHY do I NOT have the phrase  "(Update Channel: beta)" showing after the bracket containing (4.03.3.8065)?

[My text is ...4.0c Beta 2 (4.03.3.8065) copyright etc...]

Regards, SteveF

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:11 PM | Locked

SteveF:

I have downloaded the Beta ie 4.0c Beta 2

BUT the "phrase" above after the release numbers is missing.

So then I also entered"set update channel to default" into the command bar.

No change.

Wha tam I "not" doing?

WHY do I NOT have the phrase  "(Update Channel: beta)" showing after the bracket containing (4.03.3.8065)?

[My text is ...4.0c Beta 2 (4.03.3.8065) copytight etc...]

If you have explicitly assigned your update channel to beta (or to stable), you will see this. If you set your update channel to default you won't see it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:15 PM | Locked

Dear Richard:

Edit}

Richard DeRuiter:
If you set your update channel to default you won't see it.

Is that not just the opposite from Bradley's instructions? ie is he not saying that "default and "beta" are the same?

What do you htink I should set this too in order for the extra phrase to be addedin the "About" info?

6116.Doc2.docx

I need to know this so that I do not "mess up" my "Regular" non-bata version

[Note - every thing below was entered before the Edit]

the command which I use for this beta machine is:

"Set Update Channel to Default" (without quotes)

Therefore, I feel it should clearly also indicate "Update Channel Beta"

It does not.

(It merely indicates that I do have the beta)

I am confused. Please 'help" me see through this.

Thanks,

Regards, SteveF

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:23 PM | Locked

SteveF:

Dear Richard:

the command which I use for this beta machine is:

"Set Update Channel to Default" (without quotes)

Therefore, I feel it should clearly also indicate "Update Channel Beta"

It does not.

(It merely indicates that I do have the beta)

I am confused. Please 'help" me see through this.

Thanks,

All I can tell you is what I observe. I have the update channel set to default, so even though I'm using the beta, and the default channel for a beta is beta, it doesn't show anything. If while running the beta I explicitly set my update channel to beta (or stable), that will show on the help/about page.

In other words, it only shows something other than default, regardless of whether you are running the stable or beta release.

EDIT: I think this answers your post "edit" questions above as well.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:25 PM | Locked

Ron Keyston Jr:

Unless I'm missing something, I've NEVER seen the beta forum on the forum home page.  It might be because I'm not on the beta cycle...I'm not sure.  I always have to do a search to get to the beta forum.

The beta forum shows up as a link all the way down at the bottom of the Logos 4 forum. It's hidden out of the way intentionally so that non-beta users don't accidentally stumble on it. But the beta forum posts still show up in the Recent Topics list anyway.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:34 PM | Locked

Well, all that i know for sure was that during the last beta before todays update I had the following phrase:

"Update Channel Beta" (ie. same phrase visible in other poster's screenshot).

Now I do not, and it "worries" me.

Thanks

[edit] and the reason it worries me is that when the last beta downloaded, my "regular" version upgraded to beta "seemingly" on its own. And yes, I realize that is probably a very separate issue. But I do not want to do anything "silly" that is going to mess up another version (either beta or regular).

Regards, SteveF

Posts 217
LogosEmployee
Jannie van Niekerk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:37 PM | Locked

Hello Steve,

Have you tried typing "Set Update channel to beta"(without the quotes) in the command bar?

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:42 PM | Locked

Jannie van Niekerk:
Have you tried typing "Set Update channel to beta"(without the quotes) in the command bar?

THANK YOU!!! Yes!

Thank you both, to Jannie and to Richard.

Although still very "confused" I now have my phase "(Update channel:beta)" returned to me.

- Anyother thoughts on how to keep my non-beta versions "safe"?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:45 PM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:
If you have explicitly assigned your update channel to beta (or to stable), you will see this. If you set your update channel to default you won't see it.

Thank you Richard

Regards, SteveF

Posts 217
LogosEmployee
Jannie van Niekerk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:49 PM | Locked

I do not use multiple PC's so the syncing factor is lost to me. I would think that the update channel setting does sync, but don't quote me on it.

All I can think of is not to have your working machine download any updates until you are certain its safe to update them. Once again, dont quote me on this Big Smile

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 1:52 PM | Locked

Jannie van Niekerk:
not to have your working machine download any updates

Yes, that is my goal!

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27856
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 4:24 PM | Locked

SteveF:
- Anyother thoughts on how to keep my non-beta versions "safe"?

Yes, set update channel to stable  - it will be "safe" as long as you don't manually update your non-beta to beta!

But this "update channel" confusion will continue to reverberate....

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 6:04 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
set update channel to stable

thank you David.

Dave Hooton:
this "update channel" confusion will continue

At least I don't feel like i am the only one "out-of-step" here! Stick out tongue

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:08 AM | Locked

Philip Spitzer:

Damian McGrath:
The 1730 posts indicated under my name do not include the 1000 or so posts which I made during the Private Beta.

I thought we got our count with pointless posts and making fun of each other.... :-)

Well that's how I got most of mine...And at Your expense Philip.  Wink

Incidentally back on topic: b2 just dropped on my machine and I'm installing it now. 

Ahh. there it is, time to poke around and then finish my sermon: Life where there was none!

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS