Need Help with Search

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1351
PL | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 3 2017 2:12 PM

Hi all,

I have this search query from a while ago that was probably generated by Logos with a right-click action:

("([lang en] [field heading] Marriage)", "([lang en] [field heading] Beulah)", "([lang en] [field heading] Marriages)", "([lang en] [field heading] Remarriage)")

I think this is searching for articles that have marriage-related words in their headings. I don't understand why each search term is in double quotes, and why the whole thing is enclosed in an extra set of parentheses.

Now I want to have a similar search for headings related to Eternal Security, with terms such as:

"eternal security" OR "perseverance of the saints" OR "preservation of the saints" OR "assurance of salvation"

How do I convert this into a heading / headword search? Where do I place the quotes?

There must be an easier way to search for headwords in dictionaries / systematic theologies. I was also surprised when I searched for "field heading" in Logos Help, there was only one irrelevant hit.

Any other ideas to look up relevant articles in my library on this topic? Topic Guide / Factbook on "eternal security" were not helpful at all. For "perseverance" most of the dictionary hits are about persevering under hardship, not the "P" in TULIP.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 2:32 PM

Here's what I would do...

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 2373
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 2:42 PM

Hi PL,

My approach is probably is similar to yours. I began with a Basic Search on "eternal security" then added relevant alternative search terms based on my findings from the original Search then limited the Search to Heading Text and Large text and the result was profitable. See screenshot below.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 18070
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 3:37 PM

PL:
("([lang en] [field heading] Marriage)", "([lang en] [field heading] Beulah)", "([lang en] [field heading] Marriages)", "([lang en] [field heading] Remarriage)")

Same search using simpler syntax:

([lang en] [field heading] Beulah,Marriage,Marriages,Remarriage)

Expanded search to include Large Text:

([lang en] [field heading,largetext] Beulah,Marriage,Marriages,Remarriage)

PL:

Now I want to have a similar search for headings related to Eternal Security, with terms such as:

"eternal security" OR "perseverance of the saints" OR "preservation of the saints" OR "assurance of salvation"

Proximity search of significant words includes some variations in Headings and Large Text:

([lang en] [field heading,largetext] assurance,eternal,perserverance,preservation) WITHIN 3 WORDS ([lang en] [field heading,largetext] saints,salvation,security) 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2373
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 4:05 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Same search using simpler syntax:

([lang en] [field heading] Beulah,Marriage,Marriages,Remarriage)

Expanded search to include Large Text:

([lang en] [field heading,largetext] Beulah,Marriage,Marriages,Remarriage)

KS4J,

Your posts have been so instructive. I have learned from your method of starting with a simple search and building more complex searches from there. This post makes me wonder if there is a way to have the program generate this syntax or must you know/learn this syntax from examples such as yours?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 18070
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 7:34 PM

Beloved:
This post makes me wonder if there is a way to have the program generate this syntax or must you know/learn this syntax from examples such as yours?

Developers have opportunity to improve program generated search syntax. Thankful for previous search experience so could simplify then expand. Also learned "[lang en]" for specifying English keyword(s) for searching.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1351
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 4 2017 7:00 AM

Wow, thanks everyone for your help!  I learned so much from these tips and different approaches already. Thank you!

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS