NASB missing text?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3236
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 5 2017 11:23 AM

I was reading the forward to my nasb on mobile and I noticed it is missing some text under the explanation of general format section. My print Bible and one I found online both have the below but I don't see it on my mobile. Am I nuts?

[ ] = In text, brackets indicate words probably not in the original writings

PS. The reason I was looking in the forward was to find out what ()'s signify example num 12:3 ... The NASB doesn't mention why either. If you have thoughts on this too I'd appreciate it

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 12:00 PM

Mattillo:
If you have thoughts on this too I'd appreciate it

Not my thoughts, but quoting from Keil & Delitzsch, https://www.logos.com/product/5790/keil-and-delitzsch-commentary-on-the-old-testament  "The self-praise on the part of Moses, which many have discovered in this description of his character, and on account of which some even of the earlier expositors regarded this verse as a later gloss, whilst more recent critics have used it as an argument against the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch..."

so the parenthesis may indicate that 1) the words in v. 3 were a later gloss and not part of Moses' writing or 2) If they were part of the original document, may indicate that Moses did not write it.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 1:23 PM

You are correct that introductory / explanatory material is missing from many Bibles. I have assumed this may be the consequence of separate copyrights on the Bible text itself and the other materials but I do not know.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 1:50 PM

MJ. Smith:
You are correct that introductory / explanatory material is missing from many Bibles. I have assumed this may be the consequence of separate copyrights on the Bible text itself and the other materials but I do not know.

Ben? Hmm

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 3:07 PM

Beloved:
Ben? Hmm

Huh?

I was confirming that the inability to find the meaning of square brackets was not evidence of being nuts.

Mattillo:

My print Bible and one I found online both have the below but I don't see it on my mobile. Am I nuts?

[ ] = In text, brackets indicate words probably not in the original writings

What am I missing?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 3:19 PM

MJ you misread me completely I referenced your post in full agreement. Puzzled as to why this is such a pervasive problem without being addressed by FL. I referenced Ben as in Ben Amundgaard (who published the resolution to the NASB paragraph format issue). I see now that I was too cryptic.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 5 2017 5:00 PM

Yes

Posts 3236
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 8:55 AM

Bump

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 11:40 AM

MJ. Smith:

I was confirming that the inability to find the meaning of square brackets was not evidence of being nuts.

The general state of Matillo's sanity is on a separate thread.  I can't find the link, just now.  Big Smile

BTW: Glad to see you back online, MJ!

Posts 1000
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 12:44 PM

Am I correct that you 're asking why the introduction doesn't have an explanation of the meaning of the brackets found in the text?

If so, the source material for the introduction provided to us didn't include it.

Posts 3236
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 7 2017 12:51 PM

Thank you Kyle

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS