Thank you Big Smile

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 22 2017 4:45 PM

Yes, Thanks.

Posts 8928
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 22 2017 4:56 PM

Gao Lu:

Yes, Thanks.

Is Gao a woman's name or a man's name? There is this evil japanese old lady named Gao in the Netflix's DareDevil, Iron Fist and The Defenders shows. She plays the same role on those three shows.

DAL

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 22 2017 9:25 PM

Answer me this: is DAL a woman's name or a man's name?

Heaven forbid I should watch seedy flix such as those you mention, but likely the "Gao" character there is no near kin.   Like Robin or Sam or Alex or Chris, etc., GaoLu can be either gender. I am male and sometimes wonder if Westerners will see my name and think "Gal Lu." Horrors.  Unlike many Western names which have no meaning or only a vague distant meaning, Asian cultures often use names with distinctive meanings. Thus the names are not gender-based, but meaning-based. Sometimes the meaning has been forgotten and like Western names they are just names.  

I wonder how many Bible names are like that. 

I will be happy to change the name if it is off-putting.  Suggestions?  Kris?  Nicki?   Junia/Junias?  DAL?

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 12:21 AM

A bit of research turns up that other than a movie star, there was an ancient astronomy expert and quite a few other illustrious persons sporting this name which can mean anything from "Blast Furnace" To "Gaul" to "The High Road."

While I've got the stump, if anyone needs to be noticed, sign up at www.academia.edu

Posts 8928
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 3:23 AM

Gao, to answer your question: DAL is my initials but left the periods out. It would be D.A.L. I don't like writing my name out.

So no evil jap lady, uh? Good to know. BTW, Netflix is not evil. Some shows are, but not all.

DAL

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 7:27 AM

DAL:
There is this evil japanese old lady named Gao in the Netflix's DareDevil, Iron Fist and The Defenders shows.

Yes Big Smile

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 8:06 AM

Gao Lu:

Answer me this: is DAL a woman's name or a man's name?

Heaven forbid I should watch seedy flix such as those you mention, but likely the "Gao" character there is no near kin.   Like Robin or Sam or Alex or Chris, etc., GaoLu can be either gender. I am male and sometimes wonder if Westerners will see my name and think "Gal Lu." Horrors.  Unlike many Western names which have no meaning or only a vague distant meaning, Asian cultures often use names with distinctive meanings. Thus the names are not gender-based, but meaning-based. Sometimes the meaning has been forgotten and like Western names they are just names.  

I wonder how many Bible names are like that. 

I will be happy to change the name if it is off-putting.  Suggestions?  Kris?  Nicki?   Junia/Junias?  DAL?

Apologies if this is too personal a question, but what did your name mean when your parents gave it to you? I dated a chinese girl once who told me last names are first in her culture, is it the same in yours? Forgive my ignorance of your culture.

Ken

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 8:39 AM

I definitely would not have made the connect to Japan.

I guess mainly anime:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gao+japan 

When I copied the g-link, looks like it included 'me'. Hmmmm.

Ok, back to being unbelievably busy.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8928
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 9:14 AM

Tom:

DAL:
There is this evil japanese old lady named Gao in the Netflix's DareDevil, Iron Fist and The Defenders shows.

Yes Big Smile

👍😁👌 😈👊🏼✌️

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 9:42 AM

Thank you, FL, & thank you for posting, Daniel!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 23 2017 5:47 PM

abondservant:

Apologies if this is too personal a question, but what did your name mean when your parents gave it to you? I dated a chinese girl once who told me last names are first in her culture, is it the same in yours? Forgive my ignorance of your culture.

Ken

Hi Ken,  

I sent you a more detailed personal reply.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS