Exegetical summaries and the handicap with BAGD/BDAG

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1418
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 16 2017 8:17 AM

This new blog promotes Exegetical Summaries and I actually like the series, have all of them, and use them occasionally.

https://blog.logos.com/2017/09/scholars-disagree-consult-exegetical-summaries/

One problem is that the Bauer's dictionary links are to BAGD, and I have BDAG which is newer.

The easiest solution would be to give BAGD to BDAG owners. 

The second could be something like new links or some sort of link redirection filter.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 9:36 AM

I agree BAGD would be the easiest solution or cross link BAGD references to the reference in the newer BDAG version.

It is extremely annoying having to look up material manually.Angry

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 11:03 AM

I also agree. I would be happy with either proposed solution, but since i also own all the exegetical summaries and i've recommended them to others, i'd appreciate Logos working on this problem soon.

John

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 11:17 AM

Faithlife would have to get permission from the publisher to give BAGD away for free, even if it was only to those who already own BDAG. Would LOVE to be proved wrong, but I don't see that happening.

Posts 1973
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 1:50 PM

I agree with you.  I just posted the following under the blog post:

One of the problems with these which was brought up in the forums is that they reference BAGD (as do a plethora of Logos resources), but Logos only currently offers BDAG. I do not believe that BAGD should be offered for free for those who own BDAG because it is technically a different work, and I understand that offering BAGD could create confusion and present a loss of revenue for the publisher because people may get it instead of BDAG (accidentally or not). I also would not like to see references to BAGD redirected to BDAG because they are technically different resources, and the information could have changed between the versions.

I suggest that Logos should offer to sell BAGD to anyone who purchases BDAG. It could come in a separate bundle with BAGD/BDAG and dynamic pricing. This way, people who have already purchased BDAG can still get BAGD with the dynamically priced bundle.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 1:54 PM

The thing that burns me is that I used to have BAGD when I first started with Logos, but after starting a new account, I lost it. I have the disk but have no way to access it anymore.

Posts 1973
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 2:19 PM

David Paul:

The thing that burns me is that I used to have BAGD when I first started with Logos, but after starting a new account, I lost it. I have the disk but have no way to access it anymore.

If you've ever installed it on an account with an email address they should be able to link the accounts, even if you have a different email address now.  BAGD is on their servers, so it will download once the accounts are linked.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1287
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 2:54 PM

Hi folks.

Veli Voipio:
One problem is that the Bauer's dictionary links are to BAGD, and I have BDAG which is newer.

I know it's not the answer everyone is looking for, but the Lemma in Passage feature (if you're a Logos Now subscriber) has the side-effect of lemmatizing all of your commentaries including the Exegetical Summaries. That data is available in the context menu (you can keylink/lookup, but you can't search on the data). So you could keylink off of the relevant Greek word and hit BDAG pretty easily. Or any other lexicon you routinely keylink to for that matter. Many times, linking by lemma is actually more accurate than linking by a page number (as is done to BAGD).

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 5:40 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Many times, linking by lemma is actually more accurate than linking by a page number (as is done to BAGD).

Nice work-around Rick, thanks!

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 5:41 PM

James Taylor:

Many times, linking by lemma is actually more accurate than linking by a page number (as is done to BAGD).

Nice work-around Rick, thanks!

Yes- but it totally ruins the use of popups and the articles are not exactly the same- so still prefer to have access to BAGD.

Posts 1418
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 17 2017 10:31 AM

Joseph Turner:
I suggest that Logos should offer to sell BAGD to anyone who purchases BDAG. It could come in a separate bundle with BAGD/BDAG and dynamic pricing. This way, people who have already purchased BDAG can still get BAGD with the dynamically priced bundle.

Sounds good Yes

This works, thanks Rick.

I also think it could be possible to make the software to pick up the word αρχη and then pick up BAGD 1.c. and point to BAGD accurately and to BDAG quite accurately. It won't be exactly same as the BAGD text, but if we cannot get BAGD anyway, that solution could make sense. (If a miracle happens, and we'll be allowed to buy BAGD, the user can use the multiple resources feature to add BDAG beside it to get the maximal value)

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 10:46 AM

Rick - how do you have an Exegetical Summary for John 1-9?  I don't have this in my collection and have not been able to find it on the Logos website either...

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 10:50 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
Rick - how do you have an Exegetical Summary for John 1-9?  I don't have this in my collection and have not been able to find it on the Logos website either...

see here https://www.logos.com/product/138251/exegetical-summaries-series-upgrade    Exegetical Summaries Series Upgrade (4 vols.)

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 516
Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 10:58 AM

Thanks! I had missed that!

Posts 1418
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 6:24 AM

This newest one has links to BDAG Cool

https://www.logos.com/product/150109/an-exegetical-summary-of-acts-1-14 

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 7:02 AM

Rick,

My Logos Now subscription expires in 5 months. I've purchased the extended feature set in Logos 7, but it does not include the Lemma in Passage dataset. I'd appreciate it if Logos would consider making this dataset available for purchase for those who have decided not to continue with the subscriptions of Logos Now or Fathlife Connect. Short of making BADG available for purchase, this seems the best solution to those who own the Exegetical Summaries series, and is completely within the realm of things Logos can do on its own without approval by a publisher.

John

Posts 1287
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 7:39 AM

Hi John.

John Kaess:
I'd appreciate it if Logos would consider making this dataset available for purchase for those who have decided not to continue with the subscriptions of Logos Now or Fathlife Connect.

I've passed this along.

John Kaess:
Short of making BADG available for purchase,

My guess is that the publisher is the entity that prevents BAGD from being sellable, and that we (Logos/Faithlife) no longer have a license to this edition.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 516
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 7:50 AM

Rick,

Several years ago I called the publisher and they told me that they would have no problem relicensing BAGD to Logos. If this is still the case, I don't know.

Posts 420
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 8:10 AM

Hi John.

John Kaess:
I'd appreciate it if Logos would consider making this dataset available for purchase for those who have decided not to continue with the subscriptions of Logos Now or Fathlife Connect.

I've passed this along.

+ 1

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS