Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 18 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last »
This post has 494 Replies | 31 Followers

Posts 13347
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 1:25 AM

Harry Hahne:
I constantly get frustrated by Google when it presents results that I have no interest in and don't even have all of my search terms. It should be possible to choose whether you want a fuzzy search or a precise search.

If your last sentence was directed at Google, rather than Logos, click Tools and then All Results and then Verbatim.

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2018 12:53 AM

Add "Open All Passages" to the context menu.

Use Case:

Occasionally I want to read through a number of Biblical references in a single go. I want to filter my Bible to only the selected references since they are disconnected, and can range from a single verse to a few chapters. When more than 2 or 3 verses are referenced it becomes incredibly cumbersome to try to keep track of where to STOP reading (and go click the next reference).

Currently Possible:

1) Select a block of text

2) Right click

3) Select "Save As Passage List" (if the text contains Bible references)

4) Click on "Open All" in the Passage List (which thankfully opened automatically)

5+) Delete the Passage List from Documents (this can be done without removing the filter)

Proposition:

I'd like to see steps 3 (and consequently 5+) eliminated. This would allow the filtering desired without unnecessary document creation. See the mockup of the context menu below. You can also see the achieved filtering in the screenshot. I suppose the "Filter by ...." (green highlight) would have a different name, but that is inconsequential to me.

Posts 310
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 4:09 AM

Advanced notes management, specifically breaking out / merging notes from a query into a separate notes files en masse.  

Dead languages are my mid-life crisis

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2018 3:44 AM

I would like to see this collection in an L8 package. I've never seen it on sale.

Church of God Digital Library

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2018 9:18 AM

Follow-up to thread => Read Aloud Speed is more speed options for Read Aloud (faster speed has usable retention when visually following text).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2018 12:19 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
more speed options for Read Aloud (faster speed has usable retention when visually following text).

Also slower speed options are useful for people learning Greek and Hebrew.

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2018 3:51 PM

Bob Pritchett:

I'd love to hear some specific suggestions on what queries you like at Google / don't like in Logos, and how you'd like us to change things.

One of the most baffling exclusions from Logos from v4 onwards is the death of the exact() operator. It used to be much simpler to compile search queries with a mixture of terms, some literal and some stemmed.

Yes I know that wildcards can be used but the exact operator was a much better way of doing this.

Posts 3173
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 4:27 AM

Something I would like to see is the print/export function to encompasses multi-view resource setup- see example below. I usually do not use notes while speaking and having the text before as I have studied it is very helpful.

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 7:44 AM

Bob Pritchett:
... while keeping our specialized capabilities for the scenarios where they make sense.

Specialized search example is Milestone in contextual menu. Thread => BUG we've been trying to get acknowledged since Sept 1 discussion includes finding other Lectionary references. Finding Milestones for various datatypes would be useful.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 54
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 8:13 AM

Bob Pritchett:
I'd love to hear some specific suggestions on what queries you like at Google / don't like in Logos, and how you'd like us to change things.

Let me start by stating I am not a highly educated person. I have never attended college, in fact I barely made it out of high school. So, IF it is possible to teach me to be proficient in using the advanced searching functions in Logos, it will be a breeze for everyone else.

I do not have the answer for making the current system easier to use. All I can do is try to explain some of the issues I have or see others having with the current way of doing advanced searches. Hopefully this will help the experts make it a tool that everyone can really enjoy and take advantage of. The forums are filled with questions of "How do I' regarding searches. Thanks to all the helpful experts on the forums that are able to answer these questions. However, the shear number of those who ask these kinds of questions is an indicator that I am not the only one that does not understand the process.

I have tried to use the “Help’ menu, the drop-down menus in search, the “Wiki” pages, Logos Pros, Morris Proctor’s videos (I have them all), as well as other resources outside of Logos to learn how to search. All use examples to teach searching. The problem with these for me is they just show complex examples of a search the trainer wants to show. They don’t show me how to construct a search for myself on something different that I will want to find later. In other words, they do not explain the meaning, and purpose of the search elements (examples; ()<>{} Milestone, “,” : “  or a space, etc.), what they contribute to the search or when and  why I need to use them and when not to use them (I don’t understand why we need all of these to begin with, but that’s how it is), when trying to make up my own search. Last night I spent over an hour trying to construct a search that would find and highlight all the instances` of God (the father) including all the pronouns HE, His, Him, etc. and not Christ or Jesus or the pronouns, in Ephesians 1. This should be simple, but I wasn’t able to make it happen.

I know this shows my ignorance, but I am, and I don’t like it. I’ll even add to my embarrassment by saying I have had and used Logos since the end of the “Libby” era. The closest example of helpful teaching on this subject is the video training “Verbum Advanced Search Training” which I really appreciated, because it slowed down the explanations and it explained somewhat what happens when adding or removing certain elements to the search. This helped define what the elements did in the search. Kudos to Devin and Andrew! However, this video didn’t go far enough in covering all the elements and their variables.

Maybe a more in depth, plain language (non-technical jargon) manual or video training would help.

Thanks for listening.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 8:42 AM

Bill:
Maybe a more in depth, plain language (non-technical jargon) manual or video training would help.

I really appreciated your post, Bill.  

When I try to even come close to writing about this frustration that you have so ably expressed, something shuts down inside, and I cannot say what I want, the way I want.  

So in Logos, I read, I highlight.  I reread important books, keeping some to the right of the Command Box.

[{(  And await positive simplification.  ]})

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 8:43 AM

Bill:
Last night I spent over an hour trying to construct a search that would find and highlight all the instances` of God (the father) including all the pronouns HE, His, Him, etc. and not Christ or Jesus or the pronouns, in Ephesians 1. This should be simple, but I wasn’t able to make it happen.

Here's a way to go about this - and I was doing this for my own study a few weeks ago!

Right-click on an instance of God being referred to in Ephesians 1, ensure that the person God is selected on the right and click "Search -> this resource" on the left

This produces a populated Bible search - but searching across all passages. To constrict the search to Ephesians 1, click on where it says All Passages and then enter the range you are interested in

This gives you the results I think you are looking for

Does this help at all?

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 8:52 AM

Graham Criddle:
Does this help at all?

How do U cancel the search so all the yellow highlights go away?

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 9:15 AM

Bill:
The forums are filled with questions of "How do I' regarding searches. Thanks to all the helpful experts on the forums that are able to answer these questions. However, the shear number of those who ask these kinds of questions is an indicator that I am not the only one that does not understand the process.

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn (sometimes with embarrassment Embarrassed). Personally like search questions, which help others (and myself) improve how to use application.

Bill:
Last night I spent over an hour trying to construct a search that would find and highlight all the instances` of God (the father) including all the pronouns HE, His, Him, etc. and not Christ or Jesus or the pronouns, in Ephesians 1. This should be simple, but I wasn’t able to make it happen.

One way to search for associated pronouns is start with an example Bible verse: e.g. Ephesians 1:4 => right click "he" followed by choosing God person in contextual menu then search this resource:

Another simple way is using Bible Browser to look in Ephesians for Person: God

Search examples include Factbook section, which has <Person Moses>

From many Bible search discussions, have memorized three Factbook entities:

• <Person God>
  • <Person Jesus>
  • <Person Holy Spirit>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 9:15 AM

scooter:

Close the search panel.

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 9:22 AM

scooter:

Close the search tab (OR change search to something else). Yellow highlights appear for active search results. Using OR causes search result color change: e.g.

<Person Holy Spirit> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person God>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 2:09 PM

A slight change to this would show allusions to the Trinity in a single verse:

<Person Holy Spirit> AND <Person Jesus> AND <Person God>

Of course the precision of such searches is dependent on the accuracy of the tagging. Still, this search finds some interesting places I had not noticed.

Posts 54
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 3:04 PM

Graham Criddle:

Here's a way to go about this - and I was doing this for my own study a few weeks ago!

Right-click on an instance of God being referred to in Ephesians 1, ensure that the person God is selected on the right and click "Search -> this resource" on the left

Thank you very much Graham and KS4J!

You guys are always on top of things! This was very helpful. for this particular search. Now to remember it.

After writing my dissertation in the previous post I spent some more time on that search and eventually came up with your first solution, only in a clumsy way. I used the right click menu for each instance of the word in the chapter and just looked at the right hand side of the menu for each instance of the word there to see if it said it was God Person or Jesus Person. I didn't even think to "search this resource"Embarrassed

Graham,In the second screen shot you have, it shows the query <Person God> in the search box. First this is reversed from how it is shown in the right side of the context menu which is "God Person", this is inconsistent. If I were to use what shows in the context menu to manually build this query it would produce 0 results just because it is reversed. This is a problem when constructing searches. how does one know how to phrase the query? Next, How would one know to use <> around this phrase or when to use something else? What do the <> mean and how do they contribute to this search or any searches and do they mean and contribute the same thing in every search they are in? This is some of what my learning problem is. If I don't understand their purpose how can I know when and how to use them? sorry, I don't mean to pick on you. but your screen shots gave me the ammo to take a shot at searching in general. Now back to the original search we were discussing.

I also found an instance of the english word "him" in the NKJ in verse 1:11 which did not show up in the context menu as either God Person or Jesus Person. When I looked at the interlinear it shows a different Greek word. In your example above it doesn't even highlight the word "Him" in verse 1:11 that I'm referencing. A couple others weren't included in the highlight because they were not in the original Greek text but were added in the English translation for ease of reading, but that's another subject.

I also used your solution KS4J first, by using the Bible Browser. It did a great job of finding and highlighting the information I needed. The only problem is I can't do anything with the results but look at it. I'm not able to copy, paste or save it ( with highlights) other than a passage list which does not save the highlights.

I'm always very grateful for these forums and those of you who tirelessly help bail us out of our frustrations and ignorance, Thank You.

However, My point in my first post still stands, searching in Logos is extremely difficult overall. My last words  suggesting more intense  and structured training may still be a solution to my ignorance and help me and others to be more productive and self sufficient regarding searching.

Blessings

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 3:57 PM

Bill:
Graham,In the second screen shot you have, it shows the query <Person God> in the search box. First this is reversed from how it is shown in the right side of the context menu which is "God Person", this is inconsistent. If I were to use what shows in the context menu to manually build this query it would produce 0 results just because it is reversed. This is a problem when constructing searches. how does one know how to phrase the query?

A fair point!

In the context menu it is saying that there is a label "God" and this is for a datatype "Person". However - as you point out - the search string is <Person God>

Bill:
Next, How would one know to use <> around this phrase or when to use something else? What do the <> mean and how do they contribute to this search or any searches and do they mean and contribute the same thing in every search they are in?

They indicate that the thing being searched is a "datatype" - see the "New Datatypes" section in the wiki and the entry in the help file for some details.

As the wiki points out (section on Datatype searching) you can just start typing - in this case "God" - in the search box and the autocomplete function will give you some options allowing you to choose the correct syntax.

Bill:
sorry, I don't mean to pick on you. but your screen shots gave me the ammo to take a shot at searching in general. Now back to the original search we were discussing.

No problem at all - good to discuss this sort of stuff

Bill:
I also found an instance of the english word "him" in the NKJ in verse 1:11 which did not show up in the context menu as either God Person or Jesus Person. When I looked at the interlinear it shows a different Greek word. In your example above it doesn't even highlight the word "Him" in verse 1:11 that I'm referencing

This is a tagging issue - I flagged it earlier this year in https://community.logos.com/forums/p/158681/951301.aspx 

Bill:
I'm always very grateful for these forums and those of you who tirelessly help bail us out of our frustrations and ignorance, Thank You.

You are very welcome.

Bill:
My last words  suggesting more intense  and structured training may still be a solution to my ignorance and help me and others to be more productive and self sufficient regarding searching.

I'm intrigued to know whether you think the root problem relates to a "conceptual understanding" - such as what do the <> symbols mean - or to the detailed syntax that is required. Or, of course, both!

I find that starting a search from the right-click context menu generally sets me off in the right direction.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 4:13 PM

scooter:

Close the search tab (OR change search to something else). Yellow highlights appear for active search results. Using OR causes search result color change: e.g.

Keep Smiling Smile

Graham, U mentioned close the search panel + Keep, here, said close the search tab, or search for something else.

My challenge is I have 2 words ''permanently'' highlighted.  I bought a new book + these words were highlighted in it, as the vigor to highlight still intends.

How did I get to highlight the 2 words?  6 months ago, I went into Activities in a now-forgotten-which mobile Ed course.  The subject was these 2 words.  Now, they stay highlighted in all my resources, as I do not know how to cancel them.

So, now I do not run searches, so nothing else get a permanent stain.

Page 18 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last » | RSS