Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 21 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last »
This post has 494 Replies | 31 Followers

Posts 72
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 2:59 PM

Immanuel Koks:

I have three suggestions.

first, I wonder if a “search builder” tool might be an important priority. Logos is an amazing data source, but that data is only as accessible as your search capabilities. I think that you should keep the search command syntax for Logos Geeks. But also include  graphical user interface tool for building and combining searches.

Here is the way that Ebsco has implemented the sort of thing I would like to see on logos.

The things I appreciate about this sort of builder are:

1.       I can focus on my search, not the syntax. Drop boxes remind me of what options are available

2.       that I can test each part of the search separately, and then combine them.

second: data is provided in the datasets which is not mineable by user configured searches.

For example, I would like to be able to change the systematice theology data set, to search it by doctrine, then tradition, then references.

So, for example my search string might look like

Dataset:”Systematic Theology” WHERE (doctrine ~ anthropology AND tradition ~ anglican)

It would then produce either a passage list, which I could sorted by hits, of a list of references in my library.

I guess I am asking for to include dataset searching/mining functionality within the search builder.

Third, as a student and academic, I often find myself reaching for resources that I do not own but want to “borrow” for a short time. I would love to see a competitively priced, “library model,” to the entire collection. It would give discounts for what you already own, and access to what I don’t. So, if I hit a link for an item that I don’t own, I can either “buy it” or “borrow it” for a short time, where there was a limit, according your subscription level, on the number of resources that you could borrow at once.

Will those are my thoughts.

Thanks,

Manny

Yes, this would be a fantastic addition and one that I would use most often.

Posts 5
Mm______Mm | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 5:54 PM

I have complained your year how bad Logos is, it is non intuitive and yes it sucks! Will they listen or just keep a crappy feature. 

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2018 11:00 AM

Add the ability to set Logos to load a QuickStart layout at start-up. Right now you can only load a saved layout. I would like to open my Logos to the Lectionary Reading layout for today's reading. If I save the Lectionary Reading layout as a saved layout, it will open to the day of when I saved it.

Posts 110
Andrew Perez | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2018 1:34 PM

I don't know if this was mentioned:

1. Have the ability to use the "read aloud" feature with Spanish resources

2. Being able to use some of the interactive resources on my iPad such as the Psalms Explorer, and the Greek and Hebrew Tutor.

Posts 117
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2018 2:43 PM

How about the ability to use a form in the documents, or create a form? I use the form from www.EveryManAWarrior.com everyday during my devotions. It would be awesome to bring in a form, or create it, and then export it to .pdf format. What would be cool is if it could be stored within my documents somehow, so that it could turn up in my searches, this way there could be hyperlinks within. 

Also, it would be great to be able to create our own guides a little easier. It is very cumbersome trying to create a usable guide and then edit it going forward. 

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2018 2:59 PM

Andrew Perez:

1. Have the ability to use the "read aloud" feature with Spanish resources

There are two distinct “read aloud” features. The first is an “audiobook.” As long as the audiobook purchased is in Spanish, it will obviously read in Spanish. The other feature is “robotic” and depends upon your operating system‘s “spoken text” abilities. If your computer system is natively Spanish, it should read aloud in Spanish!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 17 2018 3:29 AM

A fantastic (game-changing) feature would be the ability to compare ANY text with another or more. 

There is a (limited) tool like this on the Thesaurus linguae graecae website where one can browse texts side by side and ask for similarities to be highlighted. From what I have seen, this is not limited to exact matches. 

Similarities that would be useful to detect and highlight could include:

• Exact phrases
  • Conjunction of several of the same lemmas (where case, for instance, may account for differences in otherwise similar phrases)
  • Conjunction of several themes

Other users may have other useful ideas about what such a tool could detect and how it would be reported and/or highlighted. It's the concept that matters in the first instance although it would have to be implemented in a helpful way. 

Applications would include:

• Taking Synopses to the next level where exact matches, variants, and differences can become immediately available to the user without the tedious manual process of comparing word by word.
  • Detecting potential source texts (Apocryphal, LXX, DSS passages in the NT).
  • Better ability to detect intertextuality in the OT (a messy and neglected area of biblical studies).
  • Detect parallels between OT and ANE, NT and Greco-Roman litt. and/or Judaica.

This needs not be limited to lemmatized and morphologically-tagged resources as there could be profit in other applications with English and other modern texts (to investigate for instance theological influence of one author on another). BTW, aside from TLG technology, plagiarism detection software algorithms could also give ideas as to how this could be implemented.  

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 17 2018 4:33 AM

Francis:

A fantastic (game-changing) feature would be the ability to compare ANY text with another or more..  

Your idea is a good one, and I'd suspect very useful in academia. My current read is Barnabas use of Enoch.

I'd assume it'd just be an extension of the concordance coding, keeping track of word sequence (approx phrasing). The matching after that is pretty standard.

Posts 5
Keith Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:51 PM

Allow us to permanently delete our documents from the cloud. That would go a long way to building trust.

Quite highjacking drafts from Sermon Editor to build content for a paid service, and yes, simpler searches.  I have a $60 program coded by one guy that can outsearch Logos without the need to watch hours of tutorials. 

I want to like Logos so bad but I would rather not be haunted by incomplete documents floating around on the internet forever And then we’re supposed to trust you with a prayer list and personal thought journal too. 

I love the iOS app.

Posts 41
Edward Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2018 11:42 AM

I would like the ability to load my own pictures into the Sermon Editor and have them show up as slides.  The Logos media files are too limited. It can be done with Proclaim and whereas the Sermon may be sent to Proclaim, it saves time and allows those pictures to be part of the Sermon that is viewed on Faithlife.

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2018 12:43 PM

Edward Hatch:
I would like the ability to load my own pictures into the Sermon Editor and have them show up as slides.

This is possible as long as you have a Faithlife Connect subscription - and was introduced in Logos 7.10 see release notes at https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.10 

This is discussed at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/152793.aspx and elsewhere

Does this help?

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 17 2018 6:57 AM

Francis:
A fantastic (game-changing) feature would be the ability to compare ANY text with another or more.

I like this idea a lot and agree with Denise that it would be especially useful in academia (though I would have plenty of use for it beyond academia)!

Posts 1
Steven Rorabacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 2:24 PM
On an iPad Pro, the default setting for opening a search in a bible window is a great frustration. When I open a standard reference like "The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary," "1000 Illustrations for Preaching and Teaching," The Context of Scripture", or "Holman Bible Atlas, " the default search comes up as "Basic" and the search target is set for the particular resource that I was in when I opened the search. Perfect! But when I open a bible translation, like the ESV, RSV, NASB, etc. the default search is automatically set "Basic" (not "Bible") and the item to be searched is set to "Entire Library" instead of the translation that I was in when I started the search. (That makes no sense at all!) So each time I have to change the settings. But when I'm doing that, I set the search to "Bible" and the app takes it upon itself to set the target as "Top Bibles" instead of the bible I'm starting from! What were the developers thinking!? I typically do 15 to 20 different bible searches in my daily one or two hour session, so this is a great annoyance and time waster. Regards, Steve Rorabacher srorabacher@comcast.net
Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 11:27 PM

Steven

It would be a good idea to edit your post and remove the email address.

All web posts are hunting ground for robots that harvest email - not usually in the interest of the addressee.

Hit the 'More' button at the top of the post and choose 'Edit'

Posts 4
Rosemary Pritchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 2:23 AM

I would like to be able to use Reverse Interlinears on Mobile.

I would like full audio for the Hebrew Bible.

These are my BIG TWO!

Then...

I would like phrase searches to be much simpler.

I would like Lemma in Passage as a full feature, not payable as a separate subscription /dependent on the internet.

As a user in a remote location with poor /intermittent internet access I would like all videos to work offline. I would also like Logos to bear in mind that there are people working in projects in these conditions, people who need all the resources they can get but cannot rely on the internet. 

I would like to be able to select multiple resources to plus/minus from Collections - I've been struggling to remove dozens of Targums I can't read from Bible collections, but I have to remove them one by one, it seems.

I would like Notes to be simpler.

I would like resources in French and other languages to be read aloud properly . Currently the only option for French is System Narrator, but that's in English.  I could change it to French, but then my whole interface has to be in French and if I wanted to play something in English, I couldn't.  Some of us use resources in multiple languages!!

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 5:46 PM

I would like to see the ability to "toggle" between seeing one Bible translation and multiple translations like Bible Works had.

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 10:38 PM

Mark Johnson:

I would like to see the ability to "toggle" between seeing one Bible translation and multiple translations like Bible Works had.

The multiview Resources feature - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/115627.aspx - if you have access to it should help with this

Posts 59
C.J. Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2018 6:17 AM

I've just mentioned in another post here https://community.logos.com/forums/p/128291/992686.aspx#992686 I think the biblearc feature should be up for consideration :)

Clint Scott   Author | Humble Majesty   www.humblemajesty.com
Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 11:34 AM

Rosemary Pritchard:
I've been struggling to remove dozens of Targums I can't read from Bible collections, but I have to remove them one by one, it seems.

You could simply add "* -lang:aramaic" to the rule box making sure to keep a space between the asterisk and the minus sign (if you have other rules there, then remove the asterisk). Alternatively (and this is probably better) you could specify which languages you want. e.g. "Type:Bible lang:(English, French, Hebrew, Greek) -series:dead". Here I've filtered out the series "Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls" so I don't have an additional 256 "Bibles" in the collection. This is not perfect and you'll have to individually remove some of the resources that aren't tagged correctly (such as the Hausa bible that's tagged as English).

Rosemary Pritchard:

I would like Notes to be simpler.

The new notes system is in beta!

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 2:40 PM

Graham - that feature is nice enough, but it is not as good (in my opinion) as the "toggle" in Bible Works which displays one verse of all the Bible texts one owns in a single column. 

Page 21 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS