Your Favorite Community Pricing Book

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:12 PM

I am curious to know, after all the years of this program what is(are) your favorite book(s) to come through the Community Pricing program?  Why?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:51 PM

Well Joe, I've only been around the Logos site for about six months.  I think I have bid on just about everyone that has been put up over that period of time, but I have to say the G. Muller 12 vol. set for $15 is a pretty sweet deal.  

BTW.  Can you give a definition of the various status comments once the resource is purchased.  All mine say Under Contract -- That means???

Thanks

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 18577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 9:15 PM

Roger Feenstra:

BTW.  Can you give a definition of the various status comments once the resource is purchased.  All mine say Under Contract -- That means???

You haven't actually purchased the Muller collection yet. Your bid will be honored once the product is developed, but they needed to get an idea of how many people wanted it before they expended the people-hours to publish it electronically. You won't have purchased it until it's ready and they charge your credit card. Even when it's about to ship, you'll get a pre-notification email and could change your mind and cancel the order up to the day before it ships.

A Logos insider will be able to explain the fine points better, but here's a basic glossary of the possible Status settings:

"Under Contract" means they've signed a contract with the print publisher to bring this book out in electronic form. This appears to be a synonym for "Under Development" (the same resources show up as "Under Contract" when you view them in your Pre-Pub Orders page and "Under Development" on their product description pages).  The length of time it takes to get from this stage to shipping varies, and it's not only dependent on how long it will take them to do it. Some easy projects get bumped further back by higher priority ones that come through the queue later. I think it depends on a combination of how many people ordered it, how expensive a title it is (i.e. with those two factors -- how much revenue it will bring in) as well as how much work it will take to prepare the tagged version. Items that are "Under Contract" with no "Anticipated ship date" could be a long way off. Once there is an "Anticipated ship date" it is usually a pretty good estimate, sometimes slipping by as much as a month due to unforeseen circumstances.

"Gathering Interest" (for pre-pubs) means they still haven't reached 100% of production costs among potential buyers.

"Live" is a temporary status which means the product is completed and is in the process of shipping. Some users might have received their copy yet but you haven't got yours. It takes them a while to process all the credit cards. It's usually only in this state for a maximum of a day or so, possibly longer if it ships the day before a weekend.

Posts 5607
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 9:32 PM

Joe Miller:

I am curious to know, after all the years of this program what is(are) your favorite book(s) to come through the Community Pricing program?  Why?

A History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ for $28 was quite a catch. (Although having it as part of Platinum now somehow lessens the deal).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 10:42 PM

Roger Feenstra:
Rosie had a long answer, but since you asked, here is mine... "Under Contract" simply means Logos is committed to giving you the Pre-pub price even when the Production price goes up.  The "Contract" guarantees you the lower price. :-) 

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 2:10 AM

Joe Miller:

Here are my best bargains:

The only problem is that CP bids do tend to get added to upgraded Platinum and Portfolio collections later on which reduced value slightly. Nevertheless, I I still think both were a great bargain. It's just a shame that they were three years ago - there's not been a really good bargain between those resources and Muller.

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 6:50 AM

Rosie Perera:
You haven't actually purchased the Muller collection yet.

Right.  I understand that.

Rosie Perera:
"Under Contract" means they've signed a contract with the print publisher to bring this book out in electronic form.

This is what I was looking for.  Thanks for the defs.

Blessings,

Roger

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 6:51 AM

Joe Miller:
Rosie had a long answer, but since you asked, here is mine...

Yes

Posts 3765
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:11 AM

i overlooked CP for a long time.  so my most anticipated are two current ones:

Mueller & Aquinas. 

I have purchased and downloaded others, but I really really want those two and will start using them asap.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 8:30 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE AR-SA MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

St. Paul and Justification (Westcott) $3.00  $24.95

The Christian Doctrine of Justification and Reconciliation, by Albrecht Ritschl $6.00  $55.00

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:16 PM

Confession: I really can't be sure which were only PrePubs and which ones started off as Community Pricing. Embarrassed

• St. Paul and Justification (Westcott) for $3 - now $34.95!
  • Light from the Ancient East (Deissmann) for $10 - now $49.95

I think all the others were PrePubs, but I can't remember (because all Community Pricing items go on to PrePub and some are still there). Tongue Tied

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 4:50 AM

Todd Phillips:

A History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ for $28 was quite a catch. (Although having it as part of Platinum now somehow lessens the deal).

I am pretty sure I finally learned about CP after this history book.   I got it for 80 dollars "pre pub"  certainly not 28.    Well, I just hope I can get Catena for 20 sometime in the near future.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 4:42 PM

Alan Macgregor:
St. Paul and Justification (Westcott) for $3 - now $34.95!
what do you like about this one?

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 5:03 PM

Briefly, Joe.

• It is written in beautiful, elegant English.
  • Westcott wears his scholarship lightly, but it is evident.
  • He deals with a central tenet of Reformed Christianity.
  • It is not primarily a theological work but is firmly based on the Biblical text.
  • It blends an exposition of both Galatians and Romans masterfully.
  • You can actually read it and enjoy it as a book rather than as a commentary to be consulted.

Here's a little taste: 

The παράπτωμα of Adam and the δικαίωμα of Christ And now comes a wonderful passage, very full indeed of difficulty, linguistic and other, but also richly full of suggestive thought. It is true that, for the writer, Adam was a veritable person; whereas, for many moderns, he is not. We all know, know only too well, our dismal liability to fall into acts that shame us. Some modern thinkers tell us, that these tendencies do not matter; that they are mere survivals; that by slow yet sure degrees they will be eliminated, and so the race will attain to a state of moral perfection. But Christians, for ‘reasons and reasons,’ are unprepared to accept this latterday message of comfort. Instead they are very sure that things are somehow wrong, and that it is not to racial evolution we must direct our gaze to save us, but to moral regeneration, acting upon the individual.

Frederick Brooke Westcott, St. Paul and Justification (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2008), 217. It may be written in an older style but the message is needed today! And all this for only $3! Every blessing Alan

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 5:12 PM

I love what Westcott, the Classicist, says about Paul:

Therefore we love him best when he leaves all logical processes far behind, and discarding ‘reason,’ as such, surrenders himself entirely to a species of intuition. It is in his dithyrambic vein when the tide of inspiration is flowing strong and free that he is for modern minds far most convincing.

Frederick Brooke Westcott, St. Paul and Justification (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2008), 394. It just doesn't get any better than that.

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 5:16 PM

Thanks for the quotes and summary Alan Cool

Thanks to everyone else for a reminder of some of the good titles in the past Smile

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS