ENOUGH with the suggestion lists populating delays!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 5 2017 2:42 AM

I have already reported this before but we are still in the same place.

The problem: When starting a new session in Logos 7 (Windows), the first attempt to use a field that produces a suggestion list takes a long time to populate. 

The latest (out of many) instance: I typed h:yhwh in the Bible search box and had to wait over 30 seconds for the list to populate with suggestions. My laptop is otherwise performant. The same type of thing happens with other boxes that populate with suggestions (PG, BWS, Factbook, etc).

After the initial delay, subsequent searches are immediate. But since I shut down my computer every night, I have the same problem every day. There are times when I need information right now and I have to give up because of the delays.

As I said before, considering all the indexing that users have to endure, we should not have to have to wait like this all the time (it's even worse in the Android Bible app searches). 

I am sure that some explanation can come up to explain to me how it must be so. But bottom-line is that whatever is the cause for this is really poor design and it does need to be fixed. 

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 7:29 AM

Thanks, Francis, for describing this issue.  I too get frustrated waiting and waiting and waiting for the suggestions list to stop its "spinning," so I can just get to work. I hadn't identified it as happening only after a program restart.  I'll try to remember to watch to see if this is my experience as well.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 19388
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 11:28 AM

Dreaming of Search suggestion and Right Click customization. Thankful for Faithlife trying to make search more accessible and easy to use. Current assumption is every user needs every possible search suggestion in the order chosen by Faithlife. Reducing number of search suggestions would reduce time to show list for user interaction.

Guides can have My custom templates with sections. Dreaming of "My search assistant" so can choose what help is desired plus specify order: e.g. transliteration, topic, factbook, ...

Likewise dreaming of "My Context Right" and "My Context Left" templates so can specify desired Right Click sections and order of appearance: e.g. Literary Typing, Discourse, Label, Genre, Theme, Sentence, ... (for Right context) plus Guides, Look Up, Share, Search, Send to Proclaim, Visual Copy, Wikipedia, Top 5 Resources (for Left Context actions). Alternate template names could be: "My Right Click Context" and "My Right Click Actions"

Awesome would be Guide convention of closable sections (ideally a setting per section) so could include lesser used sections with option to expand as desired.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 11:38 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Likewise dreaming of "My Context Right" and "My Context Left" templates so can specify desired Right Click sections and order of appearance: e.g. Literary Typing, Discourse, Label, Genre, Theme, Sentence, ... (for Right context) plus Guides, Look Up, Share, Search, Send to Proclaim, Visual Copy, Wikipedia, Top 5 Resources (for Left Context actions). Alternate template names could be: "My Right Click Context" and "My Right Click Actions"

I like this suggestion! I would add that there is a lot of crossover between right-click context menu and the Info tool. If they were brought more in line so that all features of the right-click were available from the info pane, as an alternative, then we could have fast and better targeted context menu while still retaining all the added info & features when needed in the Info tool.

EDIT: Additionally, Shift-Right-Click could bring up the full unaltered context menu.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 6 2017 1:17 AM

Hmm Nice suggestion, but although it is somewhat related, seems to me to veer off the specific issue I was trying attention to.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS