Logos 7 Slow on my new computer

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 10 2017 6:23 AM

Logos 7 in my new computer seems slow. Please see the 2 screenshots. The memory in the screenshot is used only 30-40%. Also, there should not be any known reason for the slowness—

(1)    I have uninstalled the AVG antivirus and AVG TuneUp, lest there should be conflicts.

(2)    I am writing a book, using Word 2016, of 500 pages, with lots of endnotes, hyperlink (linking inside the book, not outside the book), table of contents etc. But even this book together with other programs running (including Logos 7), only 30-40% of memory is used, as I said above.

(3)    Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that my computer bought from the shop was made up of parts from different manufacturers (not as buying the computer from Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc that has all the parts from one manufacturer). My computer has ASUS Prime B250-A motherboard. And the video-card related to Microsoft DirectX 12 API (feature level 11_0); MSI  GT 730 (2GB DDR3; PCI-E 2.0; HDMI+DL-DVI-I.

Anyone can help? Thanks.

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 6:34 AM

When you say slow what exactly do you mean? Slow doing everything or specific tasks?

We can’t see the screenshots, try uploading them using the paper clip icon.

What processor do you have, how much RAM, what type of hard drive?

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:12 AM

As I compare the working speed between this new computer and the old one (that ran on Windows Vista), when the computer wakes up from "hibernate" or "sleep", it is quite fast. But on running Logos 7, when it is compared with the old computer that has Logos 5, it is not reasonably fast in terms of nearly the same amount of workload.

Sorry I forgot to post the 2 screenshots. Here they are:

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:45 AM

And what type of hard drive?

SSD or HDD? If HDD What is the rotation speed?

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:53 AM

What I know is not SSD, and so it should be the traditional one. (Sorry I know very little about computers.) You asked about the speed, perhaps the screen shot could answer? Please see it.

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 8:31 AM

Theo Lau:
What I know is not SSD, and so it should be the traditional one. (Sorry I know very little about computers.) You asked about the speed, perhaps the screen shot could answer? Please see it.

The information you have provided doesn't provide details about the disk.

The reason I ask is that one of the major factors for Logos performance is disk access - and SSD provides a much better experience for most users.

You can get a sense of how the disk subsystem is performing by clicking on the "Performance" tab of the Task Manager window you show in the screenshot above. See example below:

To find out disk model please open the "System Information" app and select Components -> Storage -> Drives

Particularly interested in the model information

And it would be useful to have this information for both your new computer and your old one (if you still have it available)

Posts 27816
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 8:38 AM

Theo Lau:
What I know is not SSD, and so it should be the traditional one.

To clarify: An "SSD" is a "Solid State Drive," sometimes also called a "flash drive." These are MUCH faster than a traditional hard drive, which has a magnetic spinning plate (like a record player or compact disc). Since the SSD doesn't have any moving parts, they continue to get faster and faster. The downside is that they are more expensive. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 9:26 AM

Here are 4 screenshots (2 from new computer and 2 from old). Thanks.

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 9:52 AM

Both disks are 7200RPM hard drives so should give reasonable performance even if not as good as an SSD.

The one in the new computer certainly shouldn’t give worse performance 

Can you give some specific examples of slow performance?

Do searches take longer for example?

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 10:04 AM

For example, when I tried to open an ordinary book in Logos 7, it may be opened in 10 seconds when there have been 10 books already opened.

Also, my 500 pages book on Word 2016 is slow, especially working in the Web Layout.

But now I would ask a question: is it necessary to ask the shop to add another 15 GB RAM? Or is the adding useless? The shop said to me, "it is wasting money, for only 30% memory has been used." Is the shop correct? I repeat: Is the shop correct?

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 10:26 AM

Theo Lau:
For example, when I tried to open an ordinary book in Logos 7, it may be opened in 10 seconds when there have been 10 books already opened.

That does seem like a long time

Theo Lau:
Also, my 500 pages book on Word 2016 is slow, especially working in the Web Layout.

And this suggests it isn't a Logos-specific problem but a general problem with the system.

Theo Lau:
But now I would ask a question: is it necessary to ask the shop to add another 15 GB RAM? Or is the adding useless? The shop said to me, "it is wasting money, for only 30% memory has been used." Is the shop correct? I repeat: Is the shop correct?

With the 16GB you have, and the other specs of your system, you should be getting very good performance. They are quite correct to say that adding more memory isn't the solution here.

I'm afraid you may need to get some more detailed performance investigation done to find out what is happening.

Logos-specific performance issues can be explored using the techniques outlined at https://www.logos.com/support/windows/report-performance - but that involves speaking with the Logos support team. We - most people on these forums are fellow users - don't have the tools or the expertise to analyse these performance logs.

But as you are getting slow performance with other applications I would probably start there.

Posts 18013
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 11:36 AM

Theo Lau:

Shop is correct since RAM is currently not the performance bottleneck (so adding more RAM would not be noticeable).

Changing primary disk storage (C: drive) to Solid State Disk with minimum of 500 Mbps write speed would noticeably improve responsiveness in Windows and all applications. For example, Newegg offers a 512 GB Sata III SSD for $ 147.99 => Mushkin Enhanced TRIACTOR 3DL 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDTR512GB-3DL

The Western Digital (WD) WD10EZEX is a Blue 1 TB drive with 7200 RPM speed. The Sata III SSD write speed is ~600 % faster. PCIe SSD is 300 % to 600 % faster than Sata III SSD. If computer has NVME interface (PCIe M.2 2280 port), then Newegg offers 512 GB PCIe SSD for $ 299.95 => Samsung PM961 512GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVME Solid State Drive (SSD), Genuine Eluktronics OEM Eluktro Pro-X with write speed 1,600 MBps that is 317 % faster than Sata III SSD and ~2,000 % faster than WD hard disk (so a task that takes 20 seconds writing to WD disk would take 1 second to PCIe SSD). 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1436
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 12:20 PM

New computers come with lots of garbage (preloaded programs) which slow down the system. Please make sure to disable many start up programs. If you don’t know how, here is the link:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-startup-programs-windows-10/

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 27816
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 12:30 PM

Theo Lau:
Is the shop correct? I repeat: Is the shop correct?

Yes. I repeat: Yes! Smile

It has already been said, but the update you need is your hard drive. If you can afford it, buy an SSD. Just make sure it is larger than you need. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 6:53 PM

Thanks for all who have been helping. I had organized the startup 3 weeks ago, with the help of some technicians.

Before I tried to buy this computer, the shop told me that if one day SSD is broken, the document I am working on the SSD will completely be lost, while document on broken traditional HDD can still be retrieved. That was the reason I did not order SSD. But again, is the shop correct?

Posts 18013
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:38 PM

Theo Lau:
Before I tried to buy this computer, the shop told me that if one day SSD is broken, the document I am working on the SSD will completely be lost, while document on broken traditional HDD can still be retrieved. That was the reason I did not order SSD. But again, is the shop correct?

Correct for SSD failure causing loss of access to all files. For HDD, depends on what happened. If a fire causes HDD to melt, then file retrieval becomes challenging => http://www.hightech-edge.com/data_recovery-melted-damged-hard_drive_disk-aboard-space_shuttle-columbia/1816/

Important document(s) ought to be on more than one storage device on a regular basis. Having SSD and HDD in a computer allows important file(s) on SSD to be copied (backed up) on HDD regularly. Another strategy is cloud backup of important file(s). Part of backup strategy is verifying copied file(s) being usable every so often.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 11 2017 12:28 AM

Theo Lau:

No data is safe.

Storage and backup on the same machine is dodgy.

Storage and backup on a separate device in a separate room is reasonable.

Off site storage is cheap efficient and reliable. 

I use a mixture of Time Machine, DropBox, and iCloud – I could just as easily use Google or Microsofts similar offerings.

An SSD is likely to be a game changer for you.

(Note that documents created in Logos are already backed up offsite)

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS