Bob Pritchett

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 45 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2884
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 8:48 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Audra is back to 'watch and wait' after her clear scan post-chemo, but has suffered skin cancer (apparently common post-chemo for lymphoma) and some infections (which we think are related to overall weakness/immune system). We're thankful that there's no more chemo on the horizon right now, and praying for continued restoration of strength. Overall she's much better and going in the right direction! Thanks for asking...

Praying for Audra.  May God bless and heal her.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 551
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 20 2017 12:59 AM

Bob Pritchett:

I know that we've also reduced prices on hundreds of titles in 2017...

Hi Bob, I wanted to personally thank you and the Logos team for the push on reducing prices recently. I emailed you last year expressing concern over the decision to make LN subscriptions one-off payment. However, I'm glad to say that with the introduction of the free base packages, those concerns about cost have long since faded away. Thank you. 

Now, if you can only find a way to remove the additional charge for those who want to pay monthly...

Carpe verbum.

Posts 5798
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 22 2017 5:25 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Disciple of Christ (doc):
Are you aware of the growing concern and disfaction

No, I am not. To the best of my knowledge, we have not scaled down tagging or linking at all, and in fact only ever escalate that. I know that we've also reduced prices on hundreds of titles in 2017, though maybe not the ones you want, for which I apologize. I will look into this to see if we have in fact reduced our tagging specifications.

To give you assistance in looking at this issue here is some recent discussion surrounding one resource that was recently upgraded (or as users see it, downgraded) in order to line up with your current tagging standards.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/152365.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/148119/928192.aspx#928192   

Posts 5798
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 22 2017 5:35 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Re-purposing content from different formats is a classic model; Charles DIckens' stories got published as novels only after they were serialized in magazines... I don't think it's 'sneaky', and I'm pretty sure we're up front about it -- it's just another form factor.

Bob you like to put yourself forward as an innovator yet here you are hiding behind that's they way it's always been done argument.

How about actually being an innovator in publishing, how about being different from the rest ? How about making not paying for the same thing twice actually mean something ?

If you can't live up to that being different persona you like your company to have, how about at least being upfront about it and make it clear in your advertising what you are doing ? By not being clear an upfront about what you are repacking content this is where, whether you like the tag or not, you are being sneaky. 

Bob Pritchett:
It's not my preference, though, and we haven't done much of it recently except for Michael Heiser's 'Bible Unfiltered', which is specifically to address the audience that likes his content and wants it in other formats.

https://www.logos.com/product/138755/the-bible-unfiltered-approaching-scripture-on-its-own-terms 

You have not specifically spelled out this title is simply a repacking of existing material.  The people who write your marketing product features and benefits need to learn how to write openly and honestly. It is only now that you have pointed out in this post that this book is one that is re-packaged that I can now read between the lines of the marketing speak and see where the veiled reference to this being repackaged material exists  - this is not clear open language.

Bob Pritchett:
It's not my preference, though, and we haven't done much of it recently except

This repackaging of material is also popping up with mobile Ed courses where your team is taking lectures from different course and repacking it as a new course and there no where in the marketing blurbs about it being re-packaging of material form other mobile ed Course.  Take the following as an example:

https://www.logos.com/product/145849/mobile-ed-ch111-understanding-the-protestant-reformation-precursors-and-legacy

I grant you that you might not be aware this is being done in the name of your company, but repacking of content without clear open honest communication of this fact is occurring.

But I expect you to do nothing about improving the openness and honesty in your marketing regarding re-packaged material, just as you refused to improve the openness and honesty about the fact regarding the misleading claims on the Vyrso web site about the ability to look up bible references in Vyrso resources even though such a claim has no basis when you rely on automatic tagging of these resources and so if verses references are not spelled out in the correct format they never will be able to be looked up at all correctly. 

Bob Pritchett:
We've learned our lesson about predicting that we'll be able to license, and the appropriate people here have been duly (kindly, Christian-ly) shamed for their aggressive predictions. We have not yet flogged them, introducing as it does legal and ethical issues, but if those of you angry about journals wish it so, we'll (briefly) reconsider it. :-)

Any of these issues I raise are not about being angry with you or your employees.  This is about challenging you to take your company to the next level in your marketing, to set yourself apart from the rest, to not simply sit back and be a company satisfied with following the 'classic' model of publishing or marketing or software development or customer service. It's up to you Bob, continue to think me unfair, or maybe take a small grain of  what I am saying and allow yourself and your company become so much more than what it is today in its standards of commination and marketing.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 22 2017 6:53 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Re-purposing content from different formats is a classic model; Charles DIckens' stories got published as novels only after they were serialized in magazines... I don't think it's 'sneaky', and I'm pretty sure we're up front about it -- it's just another form factor.

I'm thankful that specific articles have been republished in book form. It's convenient to be able to find and read them in one resource.

I don't think anyone is forced to pay twice -- no one has to buy the books if they don't want them. But I'm glad that the option is there for customers who favor the book format.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 1084
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 23 2017 12:10 AM

PetahChristian:

Bob Pritchett:

I'm thankful that specific articles have been republished in book form. It's convenient to be able to find and read them in one resource.

I don't think anyone is forced to pay twice -- no one has to buy the books if they don't want them. But I'm glad that the option is there for customers who favor the book format.

YesYes

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS