BUG? Most likely in user not code ... or help with a gif

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 34417
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2010 4:28 PM | Locked

I'm starting to put together some of the highlighting palettes I use. However, one graphic behaves strangely only in Logos. In system preview views and on the web, it has a white background. In Logos 4 it has a black background. What sort of error should I be looking for? Graphics are not my strength.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19358
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:29 PM | Locked

Where did you get those graphics? Could you post the file missing.gif here and I'll take a look at it.

Posts 34417
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:52 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Where did you get those graphics?

http://www.kolel.org/torahstory/module3/page3.html

Thank you. I really do want to know what makes this misbehave. I know I could use Snagit to make a png but I wouldn't learn anything7026.missing gif.zip.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19358
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:34 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Where did you get those graphics?

http://www.kolel.org/torahstory/module3/page3.html

Thank you. I really do want to know what makes this misbehave. I know I could use Snagit to make a png but I wouldn't learn anything7026.missing gif.zip.

That gif differs from the other ones on the website in that its background is transparent. I've made a new version of it for you with a white background like the rest of them: 0841.fixed-missing.zip

The question remains why Logos puts a black background behind a transparent gif? I tried creating another gif with a transparent background from scratch, and Logos didn't do that with mine (in the RGB color test I did, it kept a transparent background and showed the gray background through; in the grayscale test, it showed a white background, and I'm not sure why). So there must be something weird about this particular gif that goes beyond my knowledge of graphics.

Posts 34417
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:05 PM | Locked

Thank you. Next time I'll have a clue as to what to look for.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:11 PM | Locked

With GIFs you can nominate one of the colours to be treated as transparent. An application that ignores transparency will therefore show a different background colour for different graphics, depending on which colour was nominated in each case.

That said, Logos only ignores GIF transparency in the highlight itself, not the the "edit highlight" screen. There seems to be an additional issue (bug?) with this particular GIF. Even Photoshop doesn't handle it entirely accurately.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS