Searching for byforms in BHS?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Timothy N. Graham | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 3 2017 10:42 AM

Hello,

It is common to have multiple spellings for given lexemes in the Hebrew Bible. This morning I was trying to search for occurrences of the spelling בֹּאר of the lexeme בּוֹר. The problem is that when I try to search for the pointed text בֹּאר it also returns בְּאֵר. I am guessing that Logos is searching the consonantal text of BHS and is ignoring the neqqudim. Is there any way to get Logos to search for exactly the pointed form that I entered in the surface text of BHS?

Blessings,

Tim Graham

Posts 18363
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 3 2017 12:36 PM

Timothy N. Graham:
Is there any way to get Logos to search for exactly the pointed form that I entered in the surface text of BHS?

Welcome Big Smile

Apologies since could not find pointed text  בֹּאר in any Hebrew Bible (my library has 282 resources, which includes several BHS): was able to [match dagesh] while [match vowels] had no results:

Did search with [match vowels] in Lexham Hebrew Bible to show Deuteronomy 1:5 and 27:8 not being found.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
Timothy N. Graham | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 3 2017 12:56 PM

E.g., 2 Sam 23:15. Also, in the plural, in Jer 2:13. But my question isn't about the verses exhibiting the specific variant spelling of בור anymore. I looked them up in a lexicon. My question is *in general* about how to do a search in Logos to find instances of variant spellings like this. Even when I put in the specific pointing I'm looking for Logos returns different pointings of באר. And I don't just want to search on the consonantal text since that will return lots of irrelevant stuff. What I want is the specific variant pointing in question.

Posts 18363
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 3 2017 5:30 PM

Timothy N. Graham:
My question is *in general* about how to do a search in Logos to find instances of variant spellings like this.

Lemma search can find consonantal variation. Apologies since do not know how to search for a lemma with specific vowel pointing in many words (can search for a specific word).

Logos Help has Advanced Searching => https://ref.ly/logosres/logos4help?hw=Advanced+Searching&off=17934

Timothy N. Graham:
What I want is the specific variant pointing in question.

Learned can search for specific lemma pointing when attached article, conjunction, preposition, ... (complete word) is included: e.g

[match vowels] מִבֹּ֥אר

[match pointed] מִבֹּ֥אר

[match vowels] מִבֹּ֥אר AND [match pointed] מִבֹּ֥אר have the same search results of two verses.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
Timothy N. Graham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 4 2017 4:09 AM

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS