Why does "Copy" work differently in NIV 2011?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 10 2017 10:46 AM

I've set my program preferences to only copy the selected text, not reference information. This usually works fine for me, except I've notice an anomaly.

If I copy using control-C in my NIV 2011 it gives just the bible text as expected, but if I copy using right-click and select "Copy" from the menu, I get the verse reference followed by the bible text.

For the other Bibles I tried (ESV, NRSV, REB), both copy methods give the correct results - bible text only.

Why should NIV 2011 be different?

Posts 24572
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 11:02 AM

BriM:
Why should NIV 2011 be different?

I didn't find it so. You should include some examples of what you are seeing. What Program Setting affects "reference information"?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 5:07 AM

Dave Hooton:
What Program Setting affects "reference information"?

The Program settings is:
Copy Citations: No

What I'm seeing is, when coying Matthew 12:16 (every verse I tried behaves the same) by control-C and pasting into Notepad on Windows I get just the verse as expected:

He warned them not to tell others about him.

But when coying the same verse by right-click and Copy, then pasting into Notepad on Windows I get the reference as well:

Matthew 12:16 (NIV (Anglicised, 2011))

16 He warned them not to tell others about him.

Posts 21643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 5:53 AM

When you get the reference included are you selecting the text (outlined in red below) or the passage reference (outlined in blue) to be copied?

When I choose the reference I get "He warned them not to tell others about him. (Matthew 12:16)" but even then I don't get the version details. That sounds like the sort of thing you would get when using the Copy Bible Verses Tool.

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 11:39 AM

Thanks Graham, this helps me to understand.

It turns out that my NIV was set to the Reference (blue), whilst the ESV and REB were set to Text (red). When I change the other bibles to Reference, I get exactly the same behaviour.

What is weird though, is that choosing reference seems to behave a bit like a radio button - if I select Reference in the ESV that unsets it in NIV - it's almost as if only one bible may have Reference set at a time. This is more of a curiosity than anything else though, as my main problem is now solved.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS