Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 32154
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 11 2010 5:11 PM | Locked

I would expect Library Results and New Resources to show the output in a similar manner. However, the New Resources are not sorted by Book nor is there an option to do so.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:07 PM | Locked

I may be wrong but I thought that the "New resources" are integrated into the main search results when By Book is selected (since books are indexed as a whole). Ranked results are presented separately because hits from the various resources would be interlaced.

UPDATE: I made a test collection with a book from my main index and a book in my supplemental (I recently purchased it). When I selected "By Book" results from both showed in the main results but the section with results from the supplemental index still showed. when I selected Ranked the main results only had hits from one book.

Posts 26590
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:22 PM | Locked

Kevin Becker:
I may be wrong but I thought that the "New resources" are integrated into the main search results when By Book is selected (since books are indexed as a whole). Ranked results are presented separately because hits from the various resources would be interlaced.

Correct. You may as well keep the  "New Resources" section collapsed when you search by Book.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19217
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:30 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Kevin Becker:

Correct. You may as well keep the  "New Resources" section collapsed when you search by Book.

Or just Merge index now (which really rebuilds the index) and then you can search by Book in your entire library.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:38 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Or just Merge index now (which really rebuilds the index) and then you can search by Book in your entire library.

You can do this with a supplemental index too! It's just that hits get displayed twice in this situation.

Posts 26590
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 8:56 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, I'm trying to get people away from the misleading message that the index needs to be merged (rebuilt now!) when there's nothing wrong with a supplemental index which may only contain a few books! I've tried to convince Logos that the message should be removed AND that the "New Resources" section should be hidden when one searches by Book.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19217
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:10 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, I'm trying to get people away from the misleading message that the index needs to be merged (rebuilt now!) when there's nothing wrong with a supplemental index which may only contain a few books! I've tried to convince Logos that the message should be removed AND that the "New Resources" section should be hidden when one searches by Book.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I hadn't fully read or taken in Kevin's post which you affirmed. How many books in the supplemental index would tip you over the edge to saying "OK, it's time to rebuild the index"? I usually live with it unmerged for a quite while and then decide to let my computer do some extra work overnight once every month or two and rebuild the index. It just seems cleaner to me. I don't notice any perceptible difference in performance or anything. I buy a lot of books though, so my supplemental index probably grows faster than most people's. And if I already have a rather large supplemental index and then buy some more books, they get indexed and merged into the supplemental index (which means the supplemental index has to get rebuilt, since index merging has been disabled). Thus it's probably in my best interest to merge my indexes fairly often to keep my supplemental index small.

Posts 26590
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:17 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
How many books in the supplemental index would tip you over the edge to saying "OK, it's time to rebuild the index"?

There is a slight time penalty looking at "New Resources" section when you search by Book. Is 1 second too much? But do you always get hits in that section? You don't know how many "new" resources there are unless you look at the Logos4Indexer.log!

I tend to accumulate updated/new resources for a while before actually downloading (Auto Download =NO) and then let the Indexer have its way (only once have I needed to manually rebuild). 

Rosie Perera:
And if I already have a rather large supplemental index and then buy some more books, they get indexed and merged into the supplemental index (which means the supplemental index has to get rebuilt, since index merging has been disabled). Thus it's probably in my best interest to merge my indexes fairly often to keep my supplemental index small.

The supplemental index is always rebuilt (new/updated books + existing ones) unless the Indexer decides otherwise and then the whole index is rebuilt (as merge is disabled). If merge is re-introduced & works reliably doing so "fairly often" could have a smaller time penalty than rebuilding "occasionally"!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS