Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament

Page 6 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 112 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 3 2014 11:06 PM

Nowadays it's publishing suicide for this sort of content not to go digital. I hope the copyright holders reconsider.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 3 2014 11:25 PM

Caleb S.:

So, I asked someone at Logos if anyone at Logos had talked to Eerdmans about getting the TDOT. This is what I was told:

I do hope that someday it will come to Logos, but it looks like I will have no choice but to buy each of the books until they become available electronically (or find a nearby library that has them, or interlibrary loan).

Actually, there is another choice...don't reward bad behavior by buying a product from intransigent hardheads. Just pretend it doesn't exist and go on about your business. Or better yet, produce a competing product that is designed from the ground up for digital use and shrivel interest in TDOT to the size of a pea.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 7:51 AM

First, thanks for getting us an update.

Logos:
At last count, there were at least 15 individual Germans who own the digital rights, and they have been extremely elusive or generally unwilling to discuss the options.

Presumably, those are authors/editors, or their heirs. In that case a small correction is most likely needed. One of the main editors is Helmer Ringgren, and he's Swedish, not German. It seems he died two years ago (I'd missed that), at the ripe old age of 94, so it may have been a while since he was up to copyright discussions. I had his [much younger] wife in Hebrew once upon a time (he was already retired). It seems they divorced shortly after, so I doubt she's inherited any rights, but she worked on the TDOT, so she probably knows/knew the [original] copyright holders and may be in a position to help. I doubt Helmer Ringgren is the only one who's dead or very old. That's probably a big part of the problem.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 10:58 AM

fgh:

I had his [much younger] wife in Hebrew once upon a time (he was already retired).

Surprise You had his wife? Would it be possible for you, Eerdmans or a book agent to contact the surviving rights holders?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 11:18 AM

I assume that's what Eerdmans and/or Logos has already tried to do. Presumably, Ringgren's rights have gone to his children. According to http://zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/sad-news-the-death-of-helmer-ringgren/ he had three daughters. I could certainly find their names and the details of his will, if Logos wants me to. That's public record.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 11:55 AM

Maybe Bob could invite them up to Bellingham and gives them a bit of that famous free coffee...that should lubricate the cogs of intransigence!

Indifferent

Posts 32
LogosEmployee
Bill Nienhuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 5:06 PM

We are working on this. No ETA yet.

Posts 687
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 2:10 AM

Thanks for the update - I also appreciate that you can only say so much - tantalising as it is.

Shalom

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 7:05 AM

Bill Nienhuis:

We are working on this. No ETA yet.

Yay, free coffee!!! Whooot!! Coffee

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 9:44 AM

Any update on this, FL?

Posts 566
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 11:45 PM

Just in case there is anyone here who has not seen:

THE THEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY OF THE OLD TESTAMENT IS AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER!!!

Logos 8.1.0.0016 + Faithlife Connect | macOS Mojave 10.14.2 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 12:13 AM

Thank you for notifying!

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 3:07 AM

Yes

Page 6 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS