How to search phrases in BHS with morphological sensitivity?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 27 2017 8:35 AM

Hi, 

I'm a doctoral student in Hebrew Bible, and am wondering if there is a way to use the search function in Logos 7 that would allow me to search for Hebrew phrases, and WITH morphological sensitivity. 

For example: I might be looking for verses in the Hebrew Bible that have both of these words: מחזיקים and במצוה. As I'm using the search function now, it will ONLY show results that include the EXACT words מחזיקים and במצוה. But this is impractical, given how Hebrew morphology and syntax works. I inevitably have to enter umpteen different variants of the same words, and it takes a ton of time. What I want the search to do, when I enter מחזיקים במצוה is  show me verses where, for example, the words החזיקו and מצות occur, or מחזיקות and מצותיך. That is, I want to the search to be sensitive to EVERY instance of verses where a חזק root and a מצוה root are present. Is this possible to do? If so, it would be EXTREMELY helpful to my work.

Many thanks!

Posts 81
Kevin Wang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 8:45 AM

I would do a "morph" search (one of the search functions):

Lemma:(root) NEAR Lemma:(root) 

Hope this helps

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 9:24 AM

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Thanks Kevin!

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 9:28 AM

Another question, if I may:

How does it work with nouns? For example, would I still use "lemma:" if I was searching for a combination of the noun אישׁ and the verb הלך, or a combination of two nouns?  

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 9:37 AM

Yes, it will work with nouns. You could use whatever combination you wanted, Logos is just searching the lemma field without respect to the morphology (unless of course you specify noun / verb / whatever in the search string).

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 9:45 AM

Thanks Clint! But I still am having problems. 

So I entered: lemma:גרשׁ NEAR lemma:ֿנחלה

And one of the results for this should be 1 Samuel 26.19. However, nothing came up. For some reason, searching this way is producing results some of the time, but not others. For another example, when I enter the most basic search possible --- lemma:אישׁ NEAR lemma:ֿהלך --- nothing comes up. Am I doing something wrong?  

Posts 19145
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 10:57 AM

Ryan Gregg:

So I entered: lemma:גרשׁ NEAR lemma:ֿנחלה

Welcome Big Smile

Found no results so refined search. Used right click on a Hebrew word to choose lemma, which includes numeric homonym: e.g.

<Lemma = lbs/he/גרשׁ:1> WITHIN 7 WORDS <Lemma = lbs/he/נַחֲלָה:1>

Screen shot shows Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible (LHI) with interlinear display of Manuscript, Hebrew Lemma, and Morphology. Used right click in 1 Samuel 26:19 to select lemma followed by search this resource for the two searches below LHI. Next combined the Logos Hebrew Morphology lemmas for proximity search: noted NEAR found one verse so changed proximity to WITHIN 7 WORDS

Ryan Gregg:
That is, I want to the search to be sensitive to EVERY instance of verses where a חזק root and a מצוה root are present. Is this possible to do?

Yes, started by searching unpointed root, clicked a result in LHI followed by right click in LHI to choose root search in this resource: two searches below LHI. Combined Logos Hebrew Morphology roots into proximity search, which included results in Bibles with Reverse Interlinears:

<Root = lbs/he/חזק> WITHIN 7 WORDS <Root = lbs/he/צוה>

Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia: SESB 2.0 Version with Apparatus and WIVU Introduction includes WIVU Constituency Trees so can search for lexemes used in the same sentence:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 11:21 AM

Thank you! However... I'm still having trouble! Perhaps I'm slow-witted, or there is something wrong with my software. Are you by chance free to have a phone conversation and walk me through this? I just can't seem to get this search function to work, and it would be very helpful if I could figure it out! I'm at 925.628.1505, on East Coast Time. Let me know!

Posts 19145
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 12:18 PM

Learning/mastering search takes practice as search has a number of nuances (plus annoyances: e.g. waiting after Right Click for contextual menu to populate). Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

Phone call lacks visual screen sharing so verbally discussing search complexities is challenging. For screen shots, Logos wiki has => Screenshot so can use paper clip in forum editor to attach image(s) for discussion.

Faithlife offers free Logos Pro Training with videos => https://www.logos.com/logos-pro that includes Hebrew Bible Lemmas (video can be played/paused as desired) FYI: Sympathetic highlighting has been renamed to Corresponding Words.

Right click contextual items depends on Hebrew Bible. Some morphology schemes only have lemmas while others have lemmas and roots:

The SESB morphology in Logos Pro video shows Lemma (does not have Root that is in Logos Hebrew Morphology).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 12:53 PM

Thanks. The video was helpful. However, I would say that my search function is more than a bit challenging. I'm pretty sure it's somehow just now working. I'm trying every variation possible in the search line, closely studying your screenshots, and still --- not working. Quite frustrating. Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help! 

Posts 7
Ryan Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 1:41 PM

The problem may have been that I did not have the Logos 7 base package; I've just purchased that, so perhaps the search function will work now... will let you know! 

Posts 19145
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 1:52 PM

What appears in Bible Search of All Bible Text in All Passages in All Bibles for:

<Root = lbs/he/חזק> WITHIN 39 WORDS <Root = lbs/he/צוה>

https://ref.ly/logos4/Search?kind=BibleSearch&q=%3CRoot+%3d+lbs%2fhe%2f%D7%97%D7%96%D7%A7%3E+WITHIN+39+WORDS+%3CRoot+%3d+lbs%2fhe%2f%D7%A6%D7%95%D7%94%3E&match=stem&in=raw:All%7CResourceType%3dtext.monograph.bible%7CTitle%3dAll%2520Bibles

My library with Logos Now membership and many base packages finds results in 24 resources (16 English, 3 Hebrew, 2 Greek, 1 Latin, 1 German, 1 Spanish):

English translation of Nehemiah 10:29 finds the two roots in the same verse WITHIN 39 WORDS

FYI: personally added year prefix to Bible Titles along with language letter for non-English

Note: this search also works in a Logos 7.11 library with Basic packages (total of all orders is $ 0.00)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS