Merging Two Word Lists

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Gene Herring | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 29 2017 7:23 PM

I am trying to "merge" two Greek word lists , (entire NT with Audio + A Beginners Guide/FJ Long) utilizing an intersection join. My purpose is I am taking a course that uses the FJ Long study guide and want to use Logos to help with vocabulary memorization and pronunciation. The FJ Long word list provided in the forum lists does  not import with audio. The merge basically works, but does not properly filter the intersection join results to only include words from both tables and most importantly does not include values in the "section" column which contains the corresponding study chapters listed in the FJ Long list and are important to me for reference and study organization. I also tried the merge from both angles using each as primary and secondary tables but final result is the same. Anyone with thoughts or success on doing this? Help appreciated. Thanks.  

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 3:28 PM

Eugene Herring Sr:
The FJ Long word list provided in the forum lists does  not import with audio.

Assuming this is Kairos: A beginning Greek Grammar, there are a few issues with extracting a Word List

• Not all the words are lemmas, and you need lemmas for the audio pronunciation
  • You could manually extract the lemmas but many of the words are only found in the LXX, even if their lemma may be in the NT (with audio)
  • If the List was extracted via "Selected text" there will be no audio, gloss
  • If the List was extracted via "Clipboard" you will get audio, gloss

This applies to any source, and the "Section" is manually created. From what I've tried, "Section" doesn't carry over when merged; even if it is in both Lists.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3
Gene Herring | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 4:23 PM

Dave, thanks for responding! I am a little confused with terminology here. You mention "extracting" a word list. Is this the proper term for the resulting list I end up with after "merging" two other lists? 

I am a newbie to Logos and perhaps I am going about this all wrong. If I were to start out with a clean word list of Kairos (which has no audio), per your bullet below, is this somehow "pasted" from the clipboard into a blank word list which attaches the audio? Thanks for your help with this.

• If the List was extracted via "Clipboard" you will get audio, gloss

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 10:18 PM

Sorry Gene (and Welcome!), I should have noted your number of posts.

I meant "extracting" in the sense of getting something from something else.

• Create a new Word List from the Documents menu.
  • Select words in Kairos
  • Right click and select Copy on the left

• in the Word List, select Add and then select ...clipboard

Notice a couple of words that were "extracted" from Kairos are lemmas with Audio symbol (click to have it pronounced). Two do not have audio. The v' is an artefact of the copied text - from (v). I can't explain ἔστε, but it is not a lemma, so you would have to manually insert the proper lemma.Then you have to delete English words from the list and input a value for "Section".

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3
Gene Herring | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 2 2017 7:11 AM

Dave, thanks a mil for setting me on course here. I have it working now. However, a couple of interesting observations that may be perfectly rational due to the software functionality;

• attempting to "context menu" copy (right click) from the forum Kairos list (or any other list)  proved fruitless. I could only get the right click context option to "delete rows". Could it be that the list window is a structured environment with the data locked into tabular form? To confirm my suspicion here, I highlighted several rows and attempted to test system copy clip into an excel worksheet. No can do! However, if I when I double click, I am able to select the value in one specific "cell" at a time. This value will copy/paste to other "cell to cell" locations between word lists.
  • However when I copy the raw text word list from Kairos workbook context, I get the full context menu as depicted in your helps above. Copying here and subsequent clipboard add/paste into new word list document works like a charm. Just requires some clean up of row deletion to get rid of extraneous text that is now in column/row form in the list window, and add audio as desired for those having proper lemma as you indicated
  • Also could be that I am just doing something dumb and missing a simple step that would allow full context menu pop-up in the word list window.

Really would be great if LOGOS had available somewhere on site a sort of "white paper" outlining software limitations related to data types and transfer or interoperability/functionality map diagram between the various modules. Thanks again for your help.  

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 2 2017 3:31 PM

Gene Herring:
attempting to "context menu" copy (right click) from the forum Kairos list (or any other list)  proved fruitless

My example was the text from the Kairos book. The Context menu functionality is mainly for books, with little or no application for Documents (which include Lists), Guides and Tools - there is no hard and fast rule for Context menu functionality in these cases.

But if you can select text then it can be copied via the universal Ctrl+C keys.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS