Which layouts

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 14 2010 7:03 PM

Is there any way of knowing which layout has been loaded presently?

I've saved quite a few layouts and just a few minutes ago I updated the wrong layout (update to current snapshot).

I've overwritten another layout which I thought was the one I had opened.

Maybe the name of the currently loaded layout showing somewhere on the title bar would be helpful?

Posts 26807
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 7:15 PM

Seems like a good suggestion - I'm never sure what layout gets loaded esp. after a crash.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:39 AM

Although I can't find the thread, I suggested some time ago that the name of the currently opened layout be displayed in the title bar at the top of the screen. This would help us to avoid a lot of heartache. Like you, I have at times updated the wrong layout.

Back in my Visual Basic programming days, I'd often display information on the title bar so I know it  can be done and shouldn't be too hard to do, regardless of the language Logos uses to build Logos 4.

Michae

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:38 AM

Henry Finkle:

I've saved quite a few layouts and just a few minutes ago I updated the wrong layout (update to current snapshot).

I've overwritten another layout which I thought was the one I had opened.

Hi Henry,

You're not alone--I've done the same... I, too, have asked that (in addition to name of the layout in the title bar) we need to be able to just save the current layout without having to remember which it is. Our current ability to update to current snapshot is just asking for trouble...

For example: Working in an OT layout (for me, newly required without L3's SRAs that enabled me to have a standard layout for OT & NT sermon work), I'll frequently open NT resources associated with NT use of the passage. Nearly the same thing happens when I'm working in the NT & want to research the OT background. All of a sudden, I have NT + OT resources open, the layouts look similar, & unless I'm REALLY paying attention when I save it, I'll update the wrong one. ANd that's not to mention that they're right next to each other in the dropdown menu.

This one is just asking for data loss!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 11:17 AM

BillS:

You're not alone--I've done the same... I, too, have asked that (in addition to name of the layout in the title bar) we need to be able to just save the current layout without having to remember which it is. Our current ability to update to current snapshot is just asking for trouble...

This one is just asking for data loss!

That is indeed a good suggestion, Bill. Having an option in the layout menu to just save and update the current layout that was opened is a must. All the applications that I use have it. In all my programs I just open a file, modify it, click save and it's updated. No need to remember which file I opened.

Opening a layout and then needing to remember which one I opened to be able to update it is just not intuitive enough!

Posts 32966
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:22 PM

Henry Finkle:
Having an option in the layout menu to just save and update the current layout that was opened is a must.

Can you explain a bit better why the current method isn't working for you?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:56 PM

MJ. Smith:

Henry Finkle:
Having an option in the layout menu to just save and update the current layout that was opened is a must.

Can you explain a bit better why the current method isn't working for you?

Well, the problem with the current method is that I have to remember which layout I've loaded up when I want to update it.

I have quite a few layouts saved. Some of them for example deal with the New Testament so they are labeled accordingly. After I loaded up one of them, I can't see anywhere in L4 which one I've loaded up. (In other applications I normally see what is loaded in the title bar.)

Now, after I've worked for a while in one of those layouts (opening/closing resources and maybe not closing L4 for a few days) and I want to update it I have to click on the layouts menu, look for the layout that I've loaded up, right-click the mouse on that layout and select "update to current snapshot"

Now there's nothing wrong with updating that way if I've been only working in that layout for a few minutes or maybe even a few hours. But after working with it for a couple of days and now deciding to update the layout I might have forgotten which layout it was that I had loaded up.

It would be easier if there was an option in the layout menu that just save the current layout under the correct name without having to remember its name and select it in the menu.

If creating such an option is too much work then maybe at least have the currently loaded layout show up in the title bar.

In L3 this option wasn't available either but at least it automatically selected the correct workspace when I click to save the workspace.

Take MS Word for example. If I open up a document It will show the title of the document in the title bar. If I want to update my changes I just click on "save" and it automatically saves the changes into the correct file name. I don't have to select the file first and then click save.

Posts 32966
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:47 PM

Thanks. You have made a good case for the change. Don't forget to make sure it is on http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:27 AM

Thanks for the link MJ.

I've placed a suggestion/idea on that site.

I suggest that any person in favor of this change to place a vote here:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/659803-save-update-layout-without-needing-to-remember-its?ref=title

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 3:55 PM

I have been asking this for years – I would really like to see this go thru----so if anyone has any votes left.....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 11:14 AM

I was actually showing some folks in our new user group the ropes on layouts --and the one comment in general was: "What a mess! I never would have figured that out in a million years!" I really think we need a current layout indicator, and an "update now," button (rather than needing to right click on the correct layout name to update to the current layout), and maybe a setting that says, "auto update this layout." I like having a "base layout" that doesn't change, but having something that tracks what I'm doing without manual intervention would be nice, as well.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS