Thoughts on this massive work?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10771
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 8:17 AM

I'm not sure 'massive' is a good choice.  Big, maybe.

I put in my order; I thought they gave up on Kirsopp. So, I guess the early 1900s are still alive in Logosland. Books from this period are great reading; it's before the mediocrity of the mid-20th, and the lock-down in the late 20th. Back when they could say obvious things. And compare bad-boy mss's. And not be consigned to Ehrman-land.

I thoroughly enjoyed vol 2. A large number of excellent points. The mss volume is nice, recog'ing it's in an earlier discussion. But the use of the big-names is interesting.

Vol 1 I thought iffy-ish; the commentary vols ok, if that's of interest. Wasn't for me.  Vol 2 is easily worth the whole set.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 1:36 PM

So I wonder what are the differences between those and these:

The Book of Acts in Its First Century Setting (5 vols.)

mm.

mm.

Posts 651
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 1:52 PM

360 plus pages, and $30...

Posts 10771
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:08 PM

Milkman:

So I wonder what are the differences between those and these:

The Book of Acts in Its First Century Setting (5 vols.)

mm.

Just my 2 cents. One is basically a history series (over-simplifying). That'd be the recent one. It overlaps several other volumes in Logos, though the prison system is more unique (misuse of english).

Kirsopp is looking more at the contents of Acts. Mss's, greek, other sources, and intra-NT issues. Holds no prisoners.

For example, he discusses Josephus and John the B and why.

I'd assign the word 'dissonances' to Kirsopp and 'background' to the recent one.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:23 PM

You may wish to check out archive.org on these Kirsopp Lake works to get an idea of his work. Sometimes I save money by downloading the files as pdf especially if their use is occasional rather than regular.

Posts 2547
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 6:01 PM

Tempting, surely, particularly if you're into text-critical work. Suggestion above is good.

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 6:10 AM

Ok thanks for the clarification :)

mm.

mm.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS