Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 8:41 AM

Galen Murray:
Testing each link on my phone resulted in opening only the resource with the text I had selected. This was done without opening another app. Success?

Looks like it.

The question remaining is why using the URL causes a different app to open. I seem to remember a discussion about this, I'll dig into it a bit further.

But at least you should be able to do what you were trying to do!

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 8:56 AM

I don't know if this link from Wiki logos on creating hyperlinks helps you. It's a lot for me to understand.

Table of Contents

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 9:31 AM

Galen Murray:
I don't know if this link from Wiki logos on creating hyperlinks helps you.

The key page on this is at https://wiki.logos.com/Hyperlinks 

It explains the format of the different links:

L4 is an internal reference and stays within the app whereas URL goes "outside" and so can potentially invoke different apps.

There have been some changes recently to how this works in the context of the desktop application but I don't know how these are resolved on iOS. Alabama's suggestion may be pointing us in the right direction but I don't know how to force which app is involved on receipt of a "URL" link

Hopefully someone who knows will see this and be able to comment further

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 9:48 AM

Graham Criddle:
Alabama's suggestion may be pointing us in the right direction but I don't know how to force which app is involved

Right!

Thanks to you for your help and I will keep an eye out for further developments.

A very, Merry Christmas to you

Galen

Posts 29050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 10:19 AM

I don't understand part of what you wrote. Is it now opening the resource to the right spot on the right device? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 10:32 AM

alabama24:

I don't understand part of what you wrote. Is it now opening the resource to the right spot on the right device? 

My understanding is that it is now working correctly -with the L4 typr link. To the right spot in the right app

Woth the URL link for both Galen and me different apps are opened when tapping the link - and the resource opens to the right place there

Posts 29050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 11:09 AM

Graham Criddle:
I don't know how to force which app is involved on receipt of a "URL" link

A guess: The "oldest" installed app? (The theory being when the app is installed, iOS says "open these kinds of files with this app"). FWIW - the two links provided both open the Logos app for me... it is the only installed FL app on my device. 

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 11:49 AM

Yes, 'bama, having made the change to L4, the link is opening directly to its resource on ALL devices. I am no longer being directed to the resource through the Vyrso app while on my phone.

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 12:50 PM

alabama24:
A guess: The "oldest" installed app?

It actually looks like the newest app.

On my phone, tapping the link in a note when in the Bible app opened the resource in Verbum.

I then installed the FSB app - which hadn't been there before - and tapping the link again from the Bible app opened the resource in FSB.

So we have a fair idea of what is happening - and it seems like a logical consequence of using a URL, whether it is intended behaviour is another question!

Posts 29050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 5:20 PM

Graham Criddle:
It actually looks like the newest app.

That makes more sense, and I thought of it after I posted. I (wrongly) figured that the "newest" app was the new build of the mobile app... I don't think that updates, however, will change this behavior but rather only "new" installations. 

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:33 PM

I'm very pleased and thankful for the assistance and dialogue by both you, Graham, and Alabama. From what I've gleaned, I would say the following sums up hyperlinks the best:

Graham Criddle:
L4 is an internal reference and stays within the app whereas URL goes "outside" and so can potentially invoke different apps.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS