New computer - personal books

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 9 2018 2:25 AM

Where can I find an instruction on the wiki (or elsewhere) about how to install Logos on a new computer and downloading the personal books? I suppose I should at least upload all my personal books, but should I also put the .docx files in the personal book folder on my computer? And how to download them?

Posts 23004
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 3:32 AM

Patrick Rietveld:
Where can I find an instruction on the wiki (or elsewhere) about how to install Logos on a new computer

The basic way to install Logos on a new computer is outlined at https://www.logos.com/install 

This will involve all your resources (but not necessarily personal books - more on that below) being downloaded and reindexed.

Ways of reducing download / indexing requirements are outlined at https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers 

Patrick Rietveld:
and downloading the personal books?

By default the metadata (information) about Personal Books will be downloaded onto the new computer which will mean that they appear in your Library.

If you have previously "uploaded" them - there is a button to do this in the Personal Book tool - they will be automatically downloaded to your new computer.

Alternatively your previous post at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/152763/930912.aspx provides some guidance

Patrick Rietveld:
but should I also put the .docx files in the personal book folder on my computer?

This isn't necessary for you to be able to access the compiled files from within Logos but it is necessary if you want to change / update them in the future.

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 3:59 AM

Thanks!

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 4:46 AM

Keep in mind, there is a size limit (I think 10MB or 20MB size for the compiled file, not the source file) for being able to upload books, so some may not be able to be uploaded, in which case that approach won't fully work for you. You'll know because the Upload button is grayed out.

Also, once a personal book is uploaded, there is no way to remove it from FL servers. Unless/until there is a mechanism created to remove them, they are there forever. 

Also, you did not say how many personal books you have, you'll have to upload one at a time, which may or may not be an issue.

The other thing you can do is either copy all your Resources folder to a thumb drive (or if accessible by networking old/new computer), or just copy the COMPILED (not source) personal book files from your resource file - and then within the Logos program do a "Scan" of the folder they are in. You can read about Scan on the wiki. This will collect all personal books into a new installation of Logos. Personal books are those files in the Resources folder ending in .lbspbb.

Hope that helps!

Posts 1065
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 5:01 AM

Don Awalt:
there is a size limit (I think 10MB or 20MB size

20Mb and this is NOT the size of the .docx file but the size of the compiled file that has been created. It is roughly the size of the .docx file but from memory can be more or less.  I have memories of reducing the size of graphics in one file to squeeze it below the magic limit. 

Posts 18501
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 5:09 AM

Don Awalt:
The other thing you can do is either copy all your Resources folder to a thumb drive (or if accessible by networking old/new computer), or just copy the COMPILED (not source) personal book files from your resource file - and then within the Logos program do a "Scan" of the folder they are in. You can read about Scan on the wiki.

Logos wiki => Installation onto multiple computers for Windows that shows scan in Method 1 (For for use with offline computers) , Method 2 (Saves resource downloading and indexing) , and Method 3 (Saves resource downloading). For Mac => Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs includes Copy Logos Resources to Mac OS X (Supported – saves resource downloading) that shows scan command

Resource files and compiled personal books (PB) are identical on Windows and Mac so scan can copy files from one platform to another.

FYI: upload of my PB for Suggestion: Discourse Greek NT more customizable (has follow-up thread => Smiling with custom pop-ups in the Lexham Discourse Greek NT) encountered a metadata bug Bug: 7.2 RC 3 Regression: Personal Book Discourse Glossary that disables PB for pop-up use. Work around is using scan command to copy compiled PB.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS