Spock or Christ?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Mark J Ridgeway | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 12 2018 7:45 PM

These are some thoughts following my experience with engaging Logos Pty Ltd.

As an Australian I have always looked to the USA as a trendsetter. Let's face it Hollywood rules the world - in ways that we often don't recognise. 
In the theatre, three quarters through the movie; when the hero/heroine have faced up to the forces of evil and are in dire straights. As we build towards the climax and the fear and anxiety becomes overbearing there is always someone, perhaps someone who is not even deserving, who will need rescuing. The crowd bays out - leave them behind, so that we can all get away safely. But of course the hero/heroine overcomes AND rescues the poor, undeserving soul.

The idea of the inestimable value of a human being is the greatest export of the USA. You people have done more to change the world than anybody else. Forget about the military campaigns and the enormous relief efforts . The people of the USA have changed the mindset of the world. This is not about defending natural human rights. That's a myth. You have echoed and amplified the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ when you speak out through the stories that you tell - that the little person counts. Schaeffer's book "No Little People" speaks very eloquently to this idea.

Yet I also think of that great Star Trek scene. Spock lies dying. Captain Kirk rushes up and asks him, "Why did you do it?". And Spock gives his now famous reply - "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.... or the one". You leave the movie with the intense feeling that Spock was wrong.

Now I had a close friend who I convinced to put Logos onto his Android tablet. They will be a very small scale user of Logos. Someone who will not count when it comes to the big user conferences. They came to me with a problem which required that the tablet be soft reset. But I was unable to reload Logos.
After reviewing the forums and an enquiry to the Support desk I was quite taken aback.
The tablet is running Android 4.4.2. Logos no longer supports this. The tablet is 3 years old (not a day more). You can't upgrade the o/s easily. Nor will Logos provide the old version which still runs on 4.4.2
The official response is that the bulk of Logos users are on version 6. For those with devices below this its time to pay a visit to the landfill facility. Sorry nothing further can be done.
I will help out my friend. We will overcome.

But I am confused about what Logos is really trying to say. Am I hearing the voice of Spock or Christ?

I would love to hear of other people's perspectives. But constructive please.

Posts 7
CuTOP | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 9:44 PM

G'day,

I had to re-build an old tablet and ran into the same issue.  I didn't speak to Logos/Faithlife, but I was able to find some old versions of the app on the internet.  I just did a quick search and came up with this direct download for an older version:  http://downloads.logos.com/Android/Logos/stable/Logos-65.apk (it was discussed on the forum here:  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/53921/410124.aspx ).  I hope this helps.

Ben

Posts 18061
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 11:04 PM

Mark J Ridgeway:
The tablet is running Android 4.4.2. Logos no longer supports this.

Welcome Big Smile

Android version usage in Dec 2017 => https://fossbytes.com/most-popular-android-versions-always-updated/ shows Kit Kat (4.4) having 13.4 % usage with decline from 13.6 % in Nov 2017 while Marshmallow (6.0) has the most usage (same as bulk of Faithlife users).

Faithlife posted announcement on 29 Nov 2017 => Dropping support for Android 4.4 and below

12 Dec 2017 thread => Android Reader Suite 6.0.1 Stable Release Notes shows supported Android versions: (5.0, 5.1, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x)

Thankful for free Basic that enables Web App to be used => https://app.logos.com

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1050
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 13 2018 1:03 AM

Mark J Ridgeway:

These are some thoughts following my experience with engaging Logos Pty Ltd.

As an Australian I have always looked to the USA as a trendsetter. Let's face it Hollywood rules the world - in ways that we often don't recognise. 
In the theatre, three quarters through the movie; when the hero/heroine have faced up to the forces of evil and are in dire straights. As we build towards the climax and the fear and anxiety becomes overbearing there is always someone, perhaps someone who is not even deserving, who will need rescuing. The crowd bays out - leave them behind, so that we can all get away safely. But of course the hero/heroine overcomes AND rescues the poor, undeserving soul.

The idea of the inestimable value of a human being is the greatest export of the USA. You people have done more to change the world than anybody else. Forget about the military campaigns and the enormous relief efforts . The people of the USA have changed the mindset of the world. This is not about defending natural human rights. That's a myth. You have echoed and amplified the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ when you speak out through the stories that you tell - that the little person counts. Schaeffer's book "No Little People" speaks very eloquently to this idea.

Yet I also think of that great Star Trek scene. Spock lies dying. Captain Kirk rushes up and asks him, "Why did you do it?". And Spock gives his now famous reply - "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.... or the one". You leave the movie with the intense feeling that Spock was wrong.

Now I had a close friend who I convinced to put Logos onto his Android tablet. They will be a very small scale user of Logos. Someone who will not count when it comes to the big user conferences. They came to me with a problem which required that the tablet be soft reset. But I was unable to reload Logos.
After reviewing the forums and an enquiry to the Support desk I was quite taken aback.
The tablet is running Android 4.4.2. Logos no longer supports this. The tablet is 3 years old (not a day more). You can't upgrade the o/s easily. Nor will Logos provide the old version which still runs on 4.4.2
The official response is that the bulk of Logos users are on version 6. For those with devices below this its time to pay a visit to the landfill facility. Sorry nothing further can be done.
I will help out my friend. We will overcome.

But I am confused about what Logos is really trying to say. Am I hearing the voice of Spock or Christ?

I would love to hear of other people's perspectives. But constructive please.

You may find this useful

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/156606.aspx

You can still get a Logos app for 4.3

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS