A18: Speed question

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:22 PM

Curious about other people's speed experience. Overall, the Alpha's seem to get a bit more sluggish with each release. Right now I don't have anything indexing or downloading and A18 appears stable, but it is sluggish. Interface items are slow to respond, resources slow to open, etc. I've noticed people talking about Passage Guide running slow and it's slow for me as well (though I use a custom guide without Biblical People/Places/Things) but not excessively slow. It's just all a bit sluggish and it seems to get moreso with each Alpha.

I know optimization will occur later, and I was part of the original L4 beta for the PC version and I remember how sluggish things were during development, but I'm wondering to what degree the sluggishness is due to Mono rather than L4 and thus less likely to be fixed anytime soon. 

Developers, can we expect that the release version of L4 Mac will respond equivalent to the PC version? I know that's the goal, but how realistic is that goal looking?

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:55 PM

Chris Roberts:
I'm wondering to what degree the sluggishness is due to Mono rather than L4 and thus less likely to be fixed anytime soon.

Actually, slowness in Mono is a much better case than, say, slowness in WPF (which can be a problem for the Windows product, at times). If the performance issue is in Mono, it means we can fix it.

Chris Roberts:
Developers, can we expect that the release version of L4 Mac will respond equivalent to the PC version?

I can't tell you exactly what the performance characteristics of Logos 4 for Mac will be, but I can tell you that there's currently a lot of room for improving performance right now. When we start focusing on performance, you should see some pretty rapid gains.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 36
Darin Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:41 PM

Chris, I am experiencing the same thing, even after my indexing finished the program is still sluggish and my passage guide still indefinitely hangs at times.  I imagine speed gets more difficult to manage as you add more and more components to the program, but I am not a comp sci guy so I couldn't say for sure.

David, this is good to hear.  I have not been running the Windows version in parallels, so I have no basis of comparison, but I am glad that speed should improve a lot when the time comes to fine tune things.  Speed was the main factor in L1 for Mac that kept me using alternative bible study programs, so I am hoping the final product for L4 Mac ends up pretty snappy, as this will probably be a factor in which program I end up using as my default go-to study source.  Thanks to you and the team for all your hard work on these matters.  Alpha Monday really is an exciting time of the week :)

www.darinallen.org

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 4:12 PM

David Mitchell:
If the performance issue is in Mono, it means we can fix it.

It warms my heart to see Logos making large contributions to the Open Source community by working with this.

David Mitchell:
When we start focusing on performance, you should see some pretty rapid gains.

Which is what we saw with the L4 beta for PC. I stand encouraged.

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 2 2010 7:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing about Logos 4 Mac's speed. I just moved from a PC to Mac. One of the biggest problems I had with Logos was that it ran very slow on my old PC. I was expecting it to run a little faster on my MacBook Pro. But I think the two run about the same with the Mac running a tad slower even though it is a much faster machine. I am planning on running 4 GB of RAM soon, but I hope Logos 4 Mac speeds up sooner than later. But all in time.

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 2:13 AM

Everything I've read about the progress of the PC beta reassures me that the product will speed up during the beta stage; the alpha stage is generally about adding new features.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS