Morph Search Help

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Garrett best | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 12 2018 1:50 PM

I'm trying to find occurrences where lemma:αγων occurs with g:διὰ. I need to search if there are any instances in my library where lemma:αγων is followed immediately by the preposition διὰ, but I can't figure out how to do that. I have been able to search and find where these words occur in proximity to one another (lemma:αγωνANDg:διὰ), but I need to find out if they ever occur together. 

Searching on Logos is learning to write code. It's overly complicated in my opinion. Doing a search like this shouldn't be so difficult. Please help.

Garrett Best

Posts 1761
LogosEmployee

This search should do it for you:

<Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγών> BEFORE 1 WORD διὰ

Posts 20219
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:52 PM

Garrett best:
I'm trying to find occurrences where lemma:αγων occurs with g:διὰ. I need to search if there are any instances in my library where lemma:αγων is followed immediately by the preposition διὰ, but I can't figure out how to do that. I have been able to search and find where these words occur in proximity to one another (lemma:αγωνANDg:διὰ), but I need to find out if they ever occur together. 

Try <Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγών> BEFORE 1 WORDS <Lemma = lbs/el/διά> 

Posts 23573
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:59 PM

https://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP#id:3.2e_.28Proximity.29_ANDEQUALS.2c_NOTEQUALS  should help you with proximity operators, but I'm surprised you got results with the lemma:αγων AND g:διὰ

In Morph Search type lemma:αγων and you will get lemma:ἀγών as a suggestion.

With διὰ you will see a suggestion for  lemma:διά  (different accent).

A Morph search for  lemma:ἀγών AND lemma:διά gets only Heb 12:1, and it's obvious that one does not immediately follow the other. Note that the manuscript word is not  διὰ.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17328
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 4:05 PM

Garrett best:
I need to search if there are any instances in my library where lemma:αγων is followed immediately by the preposition διὰ, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Curious about searching for a lemma followed by preposition ? Greek word order has preposition preceding object(s) of that preposition.

Morph Query is another search option:

FYI: created Morph Query Bug thread => Bug 7.13 RC 1 Morph Query since could confirm one result in Isaiah 7:13-14 using Septuagint where lemma:ἀγών immediately precedes lemma:δ́ιά (bug is two verses in Morph Query results).

Garrett best:
Searching on Logos is learning to write code.

Logos Help has Advanced Searching that includes Multiple Terms:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11
Garrett best | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 4:08 PM

I'm actually searching the Perseus database so I'm searching many non-biblical Greek sources.

Posts 11
Garrett best | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 4:28 PM

I need to know how to do these searches myself. I have read the wiki-how page. It's still difficult to figure this out. For instance, where does the "lbs/el" come from in your search? I would not have been able to figure out this search code you have written. 

Posts 17328
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 9:45 PM

Dave Hooton:

In Morph Search type lemma:αγων and you will get lemma:ἀγών as a suggestion.

With διὰ you will see a suggestion for  lemma:διά  (different accent).

Morph Search of a resource with Logos Greek Morphology: (used Logos untransliteration to convert g:agwn and g:dia to lemma's)

lemma:ἀγών BEFORE 1 WORD lemma:διά

can be copied then changed to Bible Search:

(([field bible, content] <Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγών>) BEFORE 1 WORDS ([field bible, content] <Lemma = lbs/el/διά>))

Logos OR Verbum automatically adds two fields for searching: bible and content along with specifying lbs for Logos Morphology and el for Greek. FYI: the lbs abbreviation reminds me of Libby (Libronix System).

Bible Search looks within one verse so Isaiah 7:13-14 is not found in the Septuagint (0 results).

Copied Bible Search followed by changing to Basic Search of All Resources found a number of results in Perseus resources and Septuagint.

(([field bible, content] <Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγών>) BEFORE 1 WORDS ([field bible, content] <Lemma = lbs/el/διά>))

Screen shot shows Morph, Bible, and Basic Searches along with Basic search results in two resources. Basic search of Bibles looks within a chapter, which allows the end of Isaiah 7:13 to be found with beginning of Isaiah 7:14

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11
Garrett best | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 5:06 AM

Thank you for your help. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS