Visual Filter: Apostolic Fathers Use of the Old and New Testament

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 2 2018 2:37 PM

Hi all,

I little while ago I created a visual filter showing the New Testament use of the Old Testament. Well, today I created a visual filter for the Apostolic Fathers use of the Old and New Testament. 

When reading a bible the visual filter will use the custom highlighter style to show an indiscreet capsule at the beginning of the verse. The capsule will contain an abbreviation of the relevant apostolic work (eg. DID for Didache), which in turn alerts you that there is an intext reference at this location. Right-click to open the context menu, find your intertext reference and then look it up in the Apostolic Fathers work of your choice. 

It looks like tagging is not yet complete so the for some reason some of the capsules don't appear where an intertext reference exists, but I imagine this will be updated in time. Also, I can't seem to get the visual filter to work in reverse like my NTUOT one does. In other words, the filter only works when reading the bible. I don't believe the biblical intertext tags have been added apostolic works... yet.

The visual filter can be found here: https://documents.logos.com/documents/83c0de28d662409e94663f95366f0384/details

Required highlighter style here: https://documents.logos.com/documents/20b772aaf94e467a8f67de24f3fcf63f/details

To check it is working, Leviticus 16:7-9 should show three capsules for the Epistle of Barnabus and Matthew 6:2-4 should show capsules for the Didache.

Anyway, enjoy. feel free to ask any questions. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news everyone! Thanks to a very helpful email from Rick Brannan I have been able to create a visual filter to show biblical sources in his 'Apostolic Fathers' works. Be patient, they take a while to load, but as with the New Testament Use of the Old Testament visual filter, you should see a little capsule (eg. 'Mt' for Matthew) where a writer is drawing on the biblical source.

Due to limitations in the visual filter system, they are resource-specific; that is one VF for the English translation and another for the interlinear. Links below:

First here are the required highlighter styles (the VF will not work without them)

- Old Testament and Apocrypha: https://documents.logos.com/documents/0276008c4cd94f369c73f83fe0601299/details 

- New Testament: https://documents.logos.com/documents/722c6433960f4c50a121a4340c10f070/details 

Second here are the visual filters themselves:

- Apostolic Fathers in English: https://documents.logos.com/documents/2bd60eabb4904f00bbd5e2c0ddab854c/details 

- Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear https://documents.logos.com/documents/fe5c34a0360448fa9cd9171a728bb81a/details 

Please note, in the above resources, the intertext sources are not available through the context menu (right-click); but rather by going Tools -> Information.

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 1492
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 1:23 AM

This is really useful, LMAM, thanks. 

You may want to contact Rick Brannan about the incomplete data, to see if that is a mistake or not. 

Posts 25165
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 1:49 AM

Excellent. Thank you.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 4:21 AM

Thanks for the positive response. I'm glad you find it helpful. 

Fr Devin Roza:

You may want to contact Rick Brannan about the incomplete data, to see if that is a mistake or not. 

Good call. I'll reach out and see what I can dig up.

Posts 1492
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 4:56 AM

LMAM:

Could you re-upload this? I can't seem to access it. I got the visual filter just fine.

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 5:13 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Could you re-upload this? I can't seem to access it. I got the visual filter just fine.

Sure thing. I did change the name of the style to make it a bit less opaque, but would that break the link? 

Sadly, I can't edit my post (maybe a mod could help with this?) so I'll have to repost them here.

They're also available over at the Logos Visual Filters group too: https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters/documents 

Hope that gets things working for you again. Blessings. 

Posts 1492
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 3:31 AM

LMAM:

Sadly, I can't edit my post (maybe a mod could help with this?) so I'll have to repost them here.

Thanks, working!

I corrected the links in your original post as well. 

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 4:21 AM

Thanks so much for editing the op. Glad it is working for you now. 

Welcome any feedback or areas for improvement. 

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 2:11 PM

Good news everyone! Thanks to a very helpful email from Rick Brannan I have been able to create a visual filter to show biblical sources in his 'Apostolic Fathers' works. Be patient, they take a while to load, but as with the New Testament Use of the Old Testament visual filter, you should see a little capsule (eg. 'Mt' for Matthew) where a writer is drawing on the biblical source.

Due to limitations in the visual filter system, they are resource-specific; that is one VF for the English translation and another for the interlinear. Links below:

First here are the required highlighter styles (the VF will not work without them)

- Old Testament and Apocrypha: https://documents.logos.com/documents/0276008c4cd94f369c73f83fe0601299/details 

- New Testament: https://documents.logos.com/documents/722c6433960f4c50a121a4340c10f070/details 

Second here are the visual filters themselves:

- Apostolic Fathers in English: https://documents.logos.com/documents/2bd60eabb4904f00bbd5e2c0ddab854c/details 

- Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear https://documents.logos.com/documents/fe5c34a0360448fa9cd9171a728bb81a/details 

Please note, in the above resources, the intertext sources are not available through the context menu (right-click); but rather by going Tools -> Information.

---

Do let me know if you run into any problems. Be aware that these Visual Filters are dependent on intertext tagging that is available in Logos 7.10 onwards.

Devin, would you (or another mod) mind adding everything above the '---' to the post at the top of this thread, please?

Many thanks. Liam

Ps. Currently testing a way to visual display intertext tags for Philo, Josephus, and the Apocrypha New Testament so watch this space.

Posts 258
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 9:07 PM

The first 2 links aren't working for me no matter how many times I hit "Get Copy"

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 2:05 AM

Andrew:

The first 2 links aren't working for me no matter how many times I hit "Get Copy"

Hi Andrew, once you select 'Get Copy' the highlighter palette will be delivered to the Highlighter Tool inside the Logos App (tools->highlighting). Unless you are getting an error message when you click 'get copy' that's where I would check next. 

If you are getting an error let me know. Thanks, Liam

Posts 1072
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 8:50 AM

This is a brilliant use of Logos' tagging. Thank you!

One question, once I see the capsule alerting me to the quotation/allusion. What is the best way to get to it quickly?

Posts 258
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 8:55 AM

LMAM:
Hi Andrew, once you select 'Get Copy' the highlighter palette will be delivered to the Highlighter Tool inside the Logos App (tools->highlighting).

I see the Highlighter Tool, but don't see any mark-up in "Apostolic Fathers in English".  Is there another step I need to do?  Could you perhaps suggest a specific reference to test?

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 8:57 AM

Lamm should I bother with the first two links you sent on the initial post, or just go with your most recent links?

Thanks,

Alex

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 10:50 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

This is a brilliant use of Logos' tagging. Thank you!

One question, once I see the capsule alerting me to the quotation/allusion. What is the best way to get to it quickly?

Thanks Mike. I'm glad you like it. 

Great question. Yes, the simplest way to open the Information tool (Tools -> Information). Then either hover your mouse over the verse in question or type reference into the reference box. This process works reliably in both your bible of choice running the 'Apostolic Fathers use of the Bible' visual filter or in one of Rick Brannan's books running its dedicated visual filter (ie. 'Apostolic Fathers in English (Biblical and Apocryphal Sources). 

See the images below for visual representation.

Bible: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2bt0310p5z8w9f/Capsule%20Info%20Link%201.png?dl=0 

ApFath: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jnr21oa74rqq9s/Capsule%20Info%20Link%202.png?dl=0 

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:05 AM

Alexander Fogassy:

Lamm should I bother with the first two links you sent on the initial post, or just go with your most recent links?

Thanks,

Alex

Good question, thanks for asking it. The simple answer is 'it depends.'

If you want the Apostolic Fathers capsules to appear as you are reading the bible then you'll want the first set of links.

However, if you want the Bible book capsules to appear as you are reading the Apostolic Fathers in English/Greek-English interlinear, then you'll want the second set of links. 

Personally, I would get both as it allows you to quickly and visually represent the relevant material as you switch between resources. I never use one without the other.

I hope that helps. 

Posts 301
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:41 AM

Andrew:

LMAM:
Hi Andrew, once you select 'Get Copy' the highlighter palette will be delivered to the Highlighter Tool inside the Logos App (tools->highlighting).

I see the Highlighter Tool, but don't see any mark-up in "Apostolic Fathers in English".  Is there another step I need to do?  Could you perhaps suggest a specific reference to test?

Hi Andrew, Sorry to hear that you are having problems. 

In each case, four things are required to make the visual filter work.

1. Logos 7.10 or higher and Logos Now/Faithlife Connect Essentials (or higher) (find your software version and feature set by clicking the (?) next to Layouts in the right-hand corner, then click "about Logos Bible Software."). It may work if you only have the full-feature set but someone else will have to confirm this for us.
  2. A compatible resource (Either a bible with intertext tagging (eg. NIV, ESV, CSB, etc.) or Rick Brannan, Apostolic Fathers in English or Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear.)
  3. A Visual Filter Document (Apostolic Fathers Use of the Bible is required when reading scripture; whereas Apostolic Fathers in English (Biblical and Apocryphal Sources) and Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear (Biblical and Apocryphal Sources) are required for Rick Brannan's books. 
  4. A Highlighter style (Currently New Testament Use of the Old Testament: New Test. Targets (Required) and New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Old Test. & Apoc. Sources (Required) are required for Rick Brannan book specific visual filters. Whereas Apostolic Fathers Use of the Bible: Apostolic Fathers Targets (Required) is required for the bible-specific visual filter. 

The highlighter style and visual filter work together. The visual filter searches the resource for the intertext tags and then uses the highlighter style to display the relevant capsules. Unless you have both, the information will not display correctly. 

Finally, please be aware that for reasons I cannot seem to fathom at present, the visual filters in Rick Brannon's books seem to take a really long time to load. Please be patient. As soon as I work this out I'll update the documents. 

Here are some pictures to visually represent items 2-3. If you don't see:

Bible: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhlqktg1vgxysdr/ApFathCapsulesBible.png?dl=0 

ApFath in English/Greek-English interlinear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i493ovl07aj9x0s/ApFathCapsulesAP.png?dl=0 

I hope that helps.

Posts 1072
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:44 AM

LMAM:

Wow, I did not realize labels show up in info.......this is powerful. Thanks!

Posts 1072
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 1:12 PM

Is this pretty hard on a system? I closed down and came back later and not only is the Bible tags not showing up but my fans are going crazy (?) 

Posts 258
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 1:31 PM

LMAM:

In each case, four things are required to make the visual filter work.

1. Logos 7.10 or higher and Logos Now/Faithlife Connect Essentials (or higher) (find your software version and feature set by clicking the (?) next to Layouts in the right-hand corner, then click "about Logos Bible Software."). It may work if you only have the full-feature set but someone else will have to confirm this for us.

I am running Logos Bible Software 7.13.0.0017...But don't have Logos Now...

LMAM:
A compatible resource (Either a bible with intertext tagging (eg. NIV, ESV, CSB, etc.) or Rick Brannan, Apostolic Fathers in English or Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear.)

I am testing with Apostolic Fathers in English:

LLS:APFTHTEXT
2014-10-23T01:19:29Z
APFTHTEXT.logos4
RVI:APFTHRI
2014-10-23T01:03:48Z
APFTHRI.lbsrvi

LMAM:
A Visual Filter Document (Apostolic Fathers Use of the Bible is required when reading scripture; whereas Apostolic Fathers in English (Biblical and Apocryphal Sources) and Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear (Biblical and Apocryphal Sources) are required for Rick Brannan's books. 

I have the "The Apostolic Fathers in English (Biblical and Apocryphal Sources)" visual filter applied...But it disappears as an option once I have the resource open for a bit

LMAM:
A Highlighter style (Currently New Testament Use of the Old Testament: New Test. Targets (Required) and New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Old Test. & Apoc. Sources (Required) are required for Rick Brannan book specific visual filters. Whereas Apostolic Fathers Use of the Bible: Apostolic Fathers Targets (Required) is required for the bible-specific visual filter. 

I have both New Testament Use of the Old Testament: New Test. Targets (Required) and New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Old Test. & Apoc. Sources (Required)

...This looks like an amazing tool, but am I not able to use it without Logos Now?  Why does the visual filter option initially appear but then disappear from the visual filter drop-down menu?

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS