Copy verses to WordPerfect

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 47
Rev. Patrick Carty | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:25 AM

I use WordPerfect for a wordprocessor (I like the optional keystrokes, and code viewing capabilities) (It really is Better you know Smile)  Anyway, when I bring up my copy verse dialogue, I get "Copy My Style from the ESV to Wordperfect"  I can click copy then go to Wordperfect and paste it in.  But the copy and paste button is greyed out for Wordperfect.  It is alive for PowerPoint.  Do I need to set up a macro in Wordperfect?  Is there something I can do to directly paste into WordPerfect?

Thanks all.

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:43 AM

Hi Patrick:

I too use WordPerfect. I could go on a long time why, but I better not <grin>.

For me, copying and pasting into WordPerfect is a two step process.  Once I copy a passage, I use <CTRL> V to paste it into my document.

I too have the "copy and paste" button greyed out and do not know why.

By the way, while in your wordprocesser, you can use <CRTL> <ALT> B to bring up the copy Bible verses (even if it was not open in Logos 4).

Chuck

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:43 AM

Hi Patrick:

I too use WordPerfect. I could go on a long time why, but I better not <grin>.

For me, copying and pasting into WordPerfect is a two step process.  Once I copy a passage, I use <CTRL> V to paste it into my document.

By the way, while in your wordprocesser, you can use <CRTL> <ALT> B to bring up the copy Bible verses (even if it was not open in Logos 4).

Chuck

Posts 14
John Kerns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 12:24 PM

Patrick and Chuck,

I, too, use WordPerfect and have for decades.  A much better word processor....

Back to the point, in Logos 4, how do you block a certain text and then copy?  For that matter, will block and print ever come to Logos 4?

John Kerns

Posts 47
Rev. Patrick Carty | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:14 PM

John it seems to me that WP users must stick together as all elite do :0).  I am unsure of what you mean by block a text.  Do you mean select it for copying?  If that is it I just select with my mouse, it works quite alright for that in my Logos 4.  If that isn't what you mean please let me know. 

thanks for the responses guys, I do bring up the copy verses window from WP. I assigned Control -F10 to do it, and it works alright with the two step process, but was wondering if I was missing something to copy and paste all in one.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:06 PM

ChuckForsythe:

Guys,

I do not have WordPerfect, but I hope you can forgive me Smile

Its common for a WIndows application to paste data to the internal Windows Clipboard in a range of different formats. Logos4 does that too, and its formats include RTF, HTML and Unicode "plain ascii". Also a number of "internal" ones that I guess it uses to cut-N-paste within itself.

I would have expected WordPerfect to automatically change the Paste button to enabled (not grey) automatically any time there was a Clipboard update, and there was something there in at least one format WordPerfect can accept as a Paste.

If someone has time, it might be interesting to try:

1) With Logos4 shut down, and running ONLY Notepad and WordPerfect, and nothing in the Clipboard.

Open them side-by side so you can see both. Write "The Quick Brown Fox" in Notepad, and then Copy the line to the Clipboard.

Does WordPerfect automatically enable the Paste button/function?

I would assume YES, but I can't try this myself.

2) 2nd test. Do the same as above, but first open Logos4 and minimise it.

Then repeat the Copy from Notepad and see if WordPerfect auto-enabled the Paste function.

I expect that if it did for (1), then it still will for (2). If it works for (1) but NOT for (2), then Logos4 is capturing the Clipboard notification chain and somehow killing the update notification to other applications. I doubt this is the case, but the above would show it maybe.

A little related, I would expect any time you Copy from Logos4, then WordPerfect would enable the Paste button/function automatically, just as I expect it might if any other application copied an update into the Clipboard.

I hope these comments are helpful, if someone wants to try these ideas or any variations of them. If I make no sense, don't worry, just move on and leave me in my corner.

Regards, Jim.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:12 PM

An update to my above note.

The way Windows used to do Clipboard change notifications, any application that wanted to be notified had to call a function to ask to be notified. Once it got such a notification, it was required to pass the message back so the NEXT program got advised too.

ANYWAY, the point. Start Logos4 BEFORE Notepad and WordPerfect, so if the above is how its done, Logos4 is first-in-line to get the update advice.

Given Logos4 is using .NET, and much of this will be wrapped up by nice .NET library calls, I don't really expect what I am attempting to describe will be the issue. Just saying in case its useful.

Posts 19638
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:14 PM

I think Jim misunderstood the question. It isn't a Paste button in Wordperfect that's greyed out, it is the "Copy and Paste" button in Logos that is greyed out when Wordperfect is the selected option in Copy Bible Verses. Someone else has recently reported the same problem with Word 2010 (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18933.aspx) so there must be something else going in in Logos that causes this sometimes. I'm trying to figure it out. Follow that thread as I'll post an answer there once I do.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 8:47 PM

OK Embarrassed

The problem with attempting to offer possible helpful clues or anwers without correctly understand the question.

I think I'd rather sometimes get it wrong, than to not offer help at all. I hope people can ignore or forgive the stuff thats not helpful, and enjoy the few bits that might be useful at times.

I just tried the "real issue" for the above thread. I agree, Logos4 does not enable the Paste portion for some of the targets. I'd guess, its by design, or at least a partial solution given that some features are still getting improved. Its one thing to make a copy in some kind of format to the Windows Clipboard. It a whole new thing, to be able to open or activate a given third-party application and trigger its Paste function.

Posts 47
Rev. Patrick Carty | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 10:35 AM

Jim:

We appreciate your input.  I build and fly Radio control planes.  Numerous times I have hit a problem and can't arrive at the construction solution myself.  I explain my problem to my wife who is not mechanical at all.  She has often given me some goofy solution because she doen't understand the issue.  Still her solution broke me out of my tunnel vision and led to a workable fix. 

Now that my epistle is near completion, thanks for your input anyway.

Pat

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS