Reporting Typos: Do you do it, and how often?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 1 2010 1:26 PM

Just thought of a few off the wall questions as I submitted a "Report Typo" to Logos today.

1.  Do you "Report Typos"?

2.  How often?

3.  Does anyone know how many typos are found in Logos resources on a daily, weekly, monthly basis?

God Bless -

Posts 520
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:32 PM

I report them every time I see them, cause I feel like this is a good way for me to contribute to making Logos even better. I've only found 2 in the past 3 months of usage, though.

Posts 3668
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:35 PM

I report them when I see them - or even think I see them.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:46 PM

I always report them when I see them. I often report missing links to other Logos resources the same way. I guess I probably report half-a-dozen each week. The search suggestion drop-down makes is quite easy to find typos if you're so inclined. For example, start typing resource into the search box, and I see suggestions for both resoures, and resourses - both typos.

Posts 291
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:53 PM

I always report them as I find them.  They've made it so easy to do!  The ethics book I'm reading now has the same typo throughout the book.  I reported it a few times and then let them know it seems global to the resource.  I've seen a few in other books, too.

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:08 PM

Mark Watson:

1.  Do you "Report Typos"?

2.  How often?

YES - Every time I notice one.

Its so easy, and quick, I see little or no reason to NOT do so (but you need the Use Internet setting to be ON to use the built-in reporting.)

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:16 PM

1.Yes.

2. When I see them. (3 last week)

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:29 PM

Always have since L3. Some resources are just full of them. What I tend to find is that some resources error-free and others are riddled with them. Sometimes as many as half a dozen per page. I suppose it's the old teacher in me but I always spot them and report them. (Actually, I find everybody's typos but my own.Tongue Tied) I reported two today from one paragraph of Holman New Testament Commentary on 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12. If you have the resource, see if you can find them?

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 2927
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:47 PM

I report them when I see them...Depending on usage and which books I'm in that's multiple times per day or a few times a week.

I did about 8 yesterday

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 18817
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 6:50 PM

I report them whenever I see them, and sometimes when I find one I even go looking for other similar ones. For example, I found a place in the Encyclopedia of Christianity where a diacritical mark in German appeared as some strange character after the letter it was supposed to be on top of (Gemu¬t instead of Gemüt). So I searched through that entire resource for other similar cases and found a whole bunch more (e.g, theŒologie instead of théologie) and reported them all.

I've reported 70 typos since I started keeping track (2 months ago), and a few more before that. So I'm averaging more than 1 a day.

When I find and report a typo, I mark it with a special custom highlighting style that I've created for the purpose. That way I know when I've already reported one so I don't bother reporting it again. And I can search for all the typos I've reported to check if/when they've been fixed.

Here's the highlighting style:

And here's what it looks like in the text:

The older books that Logos has had to scan from print and run OCR on are much more likely to have typos in them than recent ones which they've gotten digitally from the publishers.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 8:23 PM

I've noticed several in EBC vol. 1, but it has always been when I'm reading on my blackberry on library.logos.com and am nowhere near a computer.  By the time I get back to the computer, I've usually forgotten Sad

Posts 1645
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 11:58 PM

Re 1: Yes: I report them if I'm on-line at the time.

Re 2: Averages about one per month.

Posts 4693
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 12:12 AM

As a newbie to Logos - thanks for all the work you are doing to improve things.

But the question that springs to mind is... 

How long do you have to wait before you notice that the typo has been corrected?

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 12:20 AM

Mike

One of my first typo reports was to tell Logos that Logos 2.0 had a typo in the NIV - Anglicised citation. It had pulbished by instead of published by. After a wait of several years It was finally corrected in Libronix. In Libronix the standard response said something to the effect that Logos would let the publisher know and that it would be updated next time the publisher was revising the text. I would think that nowadays with constant resource updates the turn-around would be much quicker. I would certainly hope so.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 18817
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 12:29 AM

Mike Binks:

As a newbie to Logos - thanks for all the work you are doing to improve things.

But the question that springs to mind is... 

How long do you have to wait before you notice that the typo has been corrected?

Mike, so far I have not seen any of the typos I've reported get fixed. Perhaps they are planning to do a large batch of typo fixes at once so as not to force us to have to do resource updates multiple times just for a few fixes at a time.

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 12:41 AM

Alan Macgregor:
It had pulbished by instead of published by.

I remember reporting that, too! It was very annoying to see it constantly coming up in your footnotes.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 3:22 AM

Alan Macgregor:
I reported two today from one paragraph of Holman New Testament Commentary on 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12. If you have the resource, see if you can find them?

Nope..

On a positive note...it provided a lot of good reading and studying. Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 25184
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 4:37 AM

1. Yes

I also use it to report milestones in the text entry box when they differ from the section header - usually passages in commentaries.

2. Whenever  - I don't go looking for them

3. Only Logos can give us typo stats!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 5:08 AM

Rosie Perera:
When I find and report a typo, I mark it with a special custom highlighting style that I've created for the purpose. That way I know when I've already reported one so I don't bother reporting it again. And I can search for all the typos I've reported to check if/when they've been fixed.

Good "idear", Rosie!

I report 'em all.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2740
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 5:15 AM

I started to do that since Logos 4 came and I am surprised how easy it is to do that.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS