Indexing Not Using All Mac's Power

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 6 2010 7:07 AM

I've got two macs I use Logos on. I also realize my workstations may not be your typical Logos user workstations as my day job is in video production/ graphic design for my church. 

That said on my laptop (2009 MBP) Logos will use most of the processing power when indexing. Activity Monitor shows about 160-180% of a possible 200.  

But on my MacPro (a 2009 model with 8 cores and 16GB of RAM) Logos only uses 250% of available processing power. My understanding each core can spawn 2 instances for a total of 16 instances or 1600%

The laptop is running Snow Leopard while my MacPro is running Leopard. I don't know if that's a factor or not. 

So is Logos operating normal when it's only using 15% of my processing power when indexing on my MacPro? 

Posts 69
The Rev. Dr. John W. Sias | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 8:07 AM

Just a guess here, but since indexing is data-intensive and all the data are (presumably) on one hard drive, Logos might wisely throttle the number of threads it tries to launch for indexing. Having 16 threads trying to index might, in fact, be slower than having 2 or 4 threads trying to do so, if they're all competing in a disorderly way for access to the same hard disk.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 9:27 AM

JohnWSias:
Having 16 threads trying to index might, in fact, be slower than having 2 or 4 threads trying to do so, if they're all competing in a disorderly way for access to the same hard disk.

John,

You're exactly right. I've tested indexing using more than 4 threads and it turns out the indexing becomes slower because there is too much contention for the hard disk.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 11:01 AM

Thanks for the response. Just one of those things that makes you wonder. I do have to say on the system Logos and every other app remains responsive. And it always indexes quicker than it estimates. A 22 hour estimated index usually takes 2 hours. Go figure. Projects I estimate will take me 2 hours usually take 6-8. 

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 11:09 AM

Dave Smith:

Thanks for the response. Just one of those things that makes you wonder. I do have to say on the system Logos and every other app remains responsive. And it always indexes quicker than it estimates. A 22 hour estimated index usually takes 2 hours. Go figure. Projects I estimate will take me 2 hours usually take 6-8. 

My 2 hour projects only take two hours. It's just that those two hours are broken up with 15 trips to Home Depot> :)

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS