Library Search Extensions in 7.15 Beta 2

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 8022
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 16 2018 1:47 PM

As per the release notes, 7.15 Beta 2 adds some new search extensions that can be used in the Library. These extensions have the potential to make denomination and commentary collections much faster and more accurate.

For example, I'll take the Expository Commentaries collection rule from https://community.logos.com/forums/t/88829.aspx

This is the original rule from that post:

type:bible-commentary (series:("3:16 Bible Commentary Series", "Africa Bible Commentary Series", "An Exposition of Ephesians", "An Exposition on Prayer in the Bible", "Analytical Bible Expositor", "Anglican Association of Biblical Scholars Study Series", "Barnes’ Notes on the Old and New Testaments", "Belief: A Theological Commentary on the Bible", "Boice’s Expositional Commentary", "Cecil Sherman Formations Commentary Series", "Clear Study Series", "Daily Study Bible Series", "David Guzik’s Commentaries on the Bible", "Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works", "Discovering Christ", "Essential Bible Companion Series", "Every Christian's Library", "Exploring the Bible Commentary", "Expositions of Holy Scripture (MacLaren)", "Expositor’s Bible", "Feasting on the Word", "Focus on the Bible Commentary", "Following God Workbooks", "For Everyone Bible Study Guides", "Gaebelein Selected Works", "Gaebelein’s Gospel of Matthew", "Gleanings (AW Pink)", "God’s Word for You", "Gromacki Expositions", "High Definition Commentary Series", "Holman New Testament Commentary", "Horae Homileticae", "J. C. Ryle Collection", "Knowing the Bible", "Life Application Bible Commentary", "MacArthur New Testament Commentary", "Manna in the House: or, Daily Expositions of the Gospels", "Old Testament for Everyone", "Opening Up Commentary", "Poor Man’s New Testament Commentary", "Poor Man’s Old Testament Commentary", "Preaching the Word", "R. C. Sproul Exposition Collection", "Reformed Expository Commentary", "Romans: Donald Grey Barnhouse", "Roy Gingrich’s Commentaries in Outline Form", "Roy Gingrich’s Commentaries in Outline Form: Bible Themes", "Spurgeon Commentary Series", "St. Andrew’s Expositional Commentary", "Standard Bible Studies", "Studies in the Book of Acts", "Summarized Bible", "Swindoll’s New Testament Insights", "Teach the Bible", "Teacher’s Bible Commentary Series", "Teed Commentary", "The Church Pulpit Commentary", "The Gospel according to the Old Testament", "The Lectionary Commentary", "The Life and Times of Gideon", "The Navarre Bible", "The New Daily Study Bible", "The Orthodox Bible Study Companion", "The Sermon Outline Bible", "Thru the Bible Commentary", "Transformative Word", "Treasury of David", "Walking with Jesus", "Welwyn Commentary Series", "Wiersbe’s Be Series", "Wiersbe’s Expository Outlines", "Works of H.A. Ironside", "Works of John Bunyan"), author:("Blanchard, John", "Chambers, Oswald", "Pink, Arthur Walkington"), mytag:commentary-expository) -series:("Expositor's Bible Commentary")

This is an updated rule that uses the new extensions:

type:bible-commentary ({Series "3:16 Bible Commentary Series", "Africa Bible Commentary Series", "An Exposition of Ephesians", "An Exposition on Prayer in the Bible", "Analytical Bible Expositor", "Anglican Association of Biblical Scholars Study Series", "Barnes’ Notes on the Old and New Testaments", "Belief: A Theological Commentary on the Bible", "Boice’s Expositional Commentary", "Cecil Sherman Formations Commentary Series", "Clear Study Series", "Daily Study Bible Series", "David Guzik’s Commentaries on the Bible", "Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works", "Discovering Christ", "Essential Bible Companion Series", "Every Christian’s Library", "Exploring the Bible Commentary", "Expositions of Holy Scripture (MacLaren)", "Expositor’s Bible", "The Expositor’s Bible", "Feasting on the Word", "A Feasting on the Word Commentary", "Focus on the Bible Commentary", "Following God Workbooks", "For Everyone Bible Study Guides", "Gaebelein Selected Works", "Gaebelein’s Gospel of Matthew", "Gleanings (AW Pink)", "God’s Word for You", "Gromacki Expositions", "High Definition Commentary Series", "Holman New Testament Commentary", "Horae Homileticae", "J. C. Ryle Collection", "Knowing the Bible", "Life Application Bible Commentary", "MacArthur New Testament Commentary", "Manna in the House: or, Daily Expositions of the Gospels", "Old Testament for Everyone", "Opening Up Commentary", "Poor Man’s New Testament Commentary", "Poor Man’s Old Testament Commentary", "Preaching the Word", "R. C. Sproul Exposition Collection", "Reformed Expository Commentary", "Romans: Donald Grey Barnhouse", "Roy Gingrich’s Commentaries in Outline Form", "Roy Gingrich’s Commentaries in Outline Form: Bible Themes", "Spurgeon Commentary Series", "St. Andrew’s Expositional Commentary", "Standard Bible Studies", "Studies in the Book of Acts", "Summarized Bible", "Swindoll’s New Testament Insights", "Teach the Bible", "Teacher’s Bible Commentary Series", "Teed Commentary", "The Church Pulpit Commentary", "The Gospel according to the Old Testament", "The Lectionary Commentary", "The Life and Times of Gideon", "The Navarre Bible", "The New Daily Study Bible", "The Orthodox Bible Study Companion", "The Sermon Outline Bible", "Thru the Bible Commentary", "Transformative Word", "Treasury of David", "Walking with Jesus", "Welwyn Commentary Series", "Wiersbe’s “Be” Series", "Wiersbe’s Expository Outlines", "Works of H.A. Ironside", "Works of John Bunyan"}, {Author "Blanchard, John", "Chambers, Oswald", "Pink, Arthur Walkington"}, {MyTag "commentary-expository"})

On my computer, the first rule takes four seconds to run, but the second takes 200ms (20× faster).

N.B. the new syntax is extremely precise and only performs exact matches. For example {Series "Expositor’s Bible"} will only match Expositors Bible but not The Expositor’s Bible; but series:"Expositors Bible" will match both as well as Expositors Bible Commentary. The first rule had to have a special "-series" term to exclude that last series, which is unnecessary when using {Series}.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 2:34 PM

Thanks, Bradley. This will make a big difference to speed, especially at startup.

Can we assume that “exact matches” also means no wildcards? So no “... ??? Testament...” to match both “Old Testament” and “New Testament”.

Also, what are the implications for mobile? Will this syntax be supported there?

And, for clarity:

• Is case important? Is {mytag... equivalent to {MyTag...?
  • Are quotes required? Do we need {MyTag "commentary-expository"}, or will {MyTag commentary-expository} do?
Posts 2085
LogosEmployee

Wildcards are not supported.

As with other extensions, case is important.

Quotes are required unless you are using the Any or None options.

Also note that unlike most search syntax, punctuation matters. Everything has to be an exact match.

There are no immediate plans for supporting this on mobile, but it could happen at some point down the road.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 2:56 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Quotes are required unless you are using the All or None options.

Thanks, Andrew. Could this be added to the release notes, to keep all the syntax in the same place? Thanks. I know anyone can edit the Wiki, but it wouldn't feel right editing release notes.

Posts 2641
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:02 PM

Mark Barnes:

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Quotes are required unless you are using the All or None options.

Thanks, Andrew. Could this be added to the release notes, to keep all the syntax in the same place? Thanks. I know anyone can edit the Wiki, but it wouldn't feel right editing release notes.

Hi Mark,

I've added this to the release notes.

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:24 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
These extensions have the potential to make denomination and commentary collections much faster and more accurate.

So now we just need someone who understands these extensions well to redo all the commentary/denomination/theology collections ;-) 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 7:12 PM

Be careful about exact syntax when changing existing collection rules  e.g. "Wiersbe’s Be Series"  ==>  "Wiersbe’s “Be” Series"  as Be has double curly quotes in the actual series name (if it had double straight quotes it would have to be escaped  i.e. "Be" ==> ""Be"").

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:02 PM

James Taylor:

So now we just need someone who understands these extensions well to redo all the commentary/denomination/theology collections ;-) 

I agree. One of the major disadvantages of Logos for me is its lack of intuitiveness. While it is great that these new rules make things faster, it moves us further from intuition. It certainly is something that I won't try to learn (despite having a computer science background). 

Posts 17975
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:34 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
As per the release notes, 7.15 Beta 2 adds some new search extensions that can be used in the Library.

Any plans for Subject search extension ?

{Subject "Bible. N.T. Matthew--Commentaries.","Sermon on the Mount."}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2018 12:40 AM

James Taylor:
So now we just need someone who understands these extensions well to redo all the commentary/denomination/theology collections

I've done most of the commentary ones. I'll share them later today.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2018 12:42 AM

Armin:
I agree. One of the major disadvantages of Logos for me is its lack of intuitiveness. While it is great that these new rules make things faster, it moves us further from intuition. It certainly is something that I won't try to learn (despite having a computer science background). 

That's fine. The standard functionality still works and will be what people will use 99.9% of the time. The new functionality is just for the very long, complex queries that the original syntax wasn't designed for.

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2018 5:19 AM

Mark Barnes:

Thanks a bunch Mark.

Posts 2085
LogosEmployee

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Any plans for Subject search extension ?

{Subject "Bible. N.T. Matthew--Commentaries.","Sermon on the Mount."}

Not immediately, but we may add more at some point later.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 7:00 PM

Mark Barnes:

James Taylor:
So now we just need someone who understands these extensions well to redo all the commentary/denomination/theology collections

Mark, did you ever share these? They don't seem to be on the FL Commentary Collections page.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 11:43 PM

Mark Smith:
Mark, did you ever share these?
Yes, he did. In this thread.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 15 2018 8:08 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
Yes, he did. In this thread.

Thank you very much!

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2019 3:15 AM

Feature request: would you consider adding all “exact” syntax corresponding to all search fields listed in https://wiki.logos.com/Library__#Search_Fields_that_you_can_use_in_the_Find_box. Exact match syntax should benefits anything that has a high collision rate, such as Type, Tag, MyRating, Rating, Lang, License, Subject, Edition.

Just for completeness, These should be added: Title, Abbrev, AltTitle, ePubDate, Pubdate, AddedDate, UpdatedDate.

Device is an oddball though.

Posts 2085
LogosEmployee

Type - Not needed. Searching for type:Bible already only returns resources of that type and not "Bible Commentary"

Tag - No plans to supports this. Use a query like {MyTag "history"} OR {CommunityTag "history"}

MyRating - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like myrating:4

Rating - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like rating:4

Lang - I think not needed. I'm not aware of possible collisions with something like lang:Greek

License - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like license:Temporary

Subject - It's there, but can be a little tricky to use, since the exact value of the subject looks a little different than what is displayed. Use the values shown in the Facet list in the sidebar as a guide. {SubjectGroup "Bible O.T.--Psalms"}

Edition - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like edition:eBook

Title - We have no plans for this. I'm having a hard time thinking of a use case for it.

Abbrev - We have no plans for this. I'm having a hard time thinking of a use case for it.

AltTitle - We have no plans for this. I'm having a hard time thinking of a use case for it.

ePubDate - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like ePubDate:2001

Pubdate - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like PubDate:2001

AddedDate - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like AddedDate:<Feb 6, 2015> However there is a similar syntax for dates relative to the current day. {AddedDate 7d} or {AddedDate 1m} or {AddedDate 2y}

UpdatedDate - Not needed. There are no possible collisions with something like UpdatedDate:<Feb 6, 2015> However there is a similar syntax for dates relative to the current day. {UpdatedDate 7d} or {UpdatedDate 1m} or {UpdatedDate 2y}

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2019 3:10 PM

It is about syntactic consistency. When you create a DSL you'd want it to be consistent and easy to remember.

Honestly I cannot remember which tag has the exact match syntax so I always need to go back to that wiki to look for that information.

If one can't perform a search using the newer syntax from memory, not much people would adopt it, and hence your shiny new tool that provides much better performance will go unused and people will keep complaining Logos is slow.

It really is just simple UX issue. UX can be something down to the command line (or a plain text command like this, a DSL), not necessarily only for GUI.

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2019 3:15 PM

So by the way, changing from lowercase to CamelCase is another UX problem. Syntactically it is unnecessary (the diff. in delimiter is enough) and it creates yet another thing one has to translate in order to use the new syntax.

This is yet another reason a uniform new syntax is needed because one don't want to mix the 2 and keep context switch into lowercase and CamelCase for example.

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS