Hey Logos, do World Missions a favour....

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 27 2018 4:12 AM

So many times I have thought... How many missionaries are there around the world who have spent years studying the local language and culture, who use Logos but do not have access to a bible in their local language to use on Logos?

Of course different scripts would be hard to do. But Filipino! There are so many missionaries here, have been for so many years, to have an electronic copy of a Filipino language (Tagalog) bible in my Logos would be precious indeed.

So Logos, maybe you wont sell  thousands of copies, but you can certainly do missions worldwide a huge favor by adding other bibles (obviously in a Latin based script) in other languages to the Logos suite. I realise having a bible in another  language may mean that it cannot fit into the full spectrum of Logos search features etc. But to just have an electronic Tagalog copy would be huge, and I am positive, for hundreds of other missionaries here who use Logos.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2018 6:50 AM

If you have an electronic/digital version of the translation (Tagalog) there are many users here who can help you make a personal book version of a Tagalog Bible in Logos.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2018 10:40 AM

Howard:
But Filipino! There are so many missionaries here, have been for so many years, to have an electronic copy of a Filipino language (Tagalog) bible in my Logos would be precious indeed.

Expanding the language base of the bibles offered would be a huge need met, worldwide.  I know there are numerous missionaries on the forums here.  I am grateful for the list of non-english bibles available (attached), but would agree that any efforts to increase the languages offer would be tremendously beneficial.  I'm curious how the FL team determines which language to tackle next (as they continue to expand their base package offerings over the past several years.)

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 2801
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2018 2:14 PM

I raised this request before:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/156202/942851.aspx

As I said in that thread, languages for Bibles should be decoupled from languages for base packages.

A Filipino pastor doesn't need a Filipino base package (although it would definitely be cool to have one in Logos). They most probably would need an English base package and a Filipino (Tagalog) Bible. I've never met a Filipino who is not perfectly fluent in English (and you meet a lot of Filipinos as a mission worker in Asia).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2018 12:20 AM

From the TW menu–here are the non-English Bibles. These are obviously all in Logos format (save the 8 that are indicated as .pdf). Some of these (esp. Spanish/French) can currently be purchased either individually or in a bundle, but most are not purchasable (unless you're involved in BT). Simply making these purchasable would cover a significant cross-section of other-language Bibles.

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2018 12:30 AM

Jan Krohn:

From that thread (I'll add a strikethrough to the languages that ARE available in Logos format) : 

Jan Krohn:
Swahili, Filipino, Amharic[pdf only], Polish, Ukrainian, Indonesian, Romanian, Twi, Hindi, Zulu, Kinyarwanda.

Posts 2188
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2018 6:47 AM

Howard:
How many missionaries are there around the world who have spent years studying the local language and culture, who use Logos but do not have access to a bible in their local language to use on Logos?

I would love to see a Polish version or several Polish versions in Logos.  It would be a huge help.

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2018 7:51 AM

Most Filipinos working in professions usually have decent English. However head out into the provinces and it is very often a different story. Not only that but even the Folks who speak excellent English do not usually think in English, it' not their heart language. Naturally pastors who teach in Tagalog need Tagalog bibles.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS