4.0c to go gold today!

Page 3 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:23 AM

PastorAmeliaAShivers:

there must be lots of variations - mine is 1.19 GB

Strange... I wonder why that is?

It seems to have worked though, it has installed and is now busy updating...

Posts 65
Dale Winters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:24 AM

Mine was initially 59.9mb, installed automatically started L4 then started a new update of 1.19gb.  Seems the initial update made L4 into 4.oc I guess the additional 1.19 gb is in reasorces?  What all is being updated?

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:27 AM

DaleWinters:

Mine was initially 59.9mb, installed automatically started L4 then started a new update of 1.19gb.  Seems the initial update made L4 into 4.oc I guess the additional 1.19 gb is in reasorces?  What all is being updated?

It's mostly the updated reverse interlinear files--which are large.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 12:00 PM

DaleWinters:

You are quite right... it is downloading another 1.19GB...!

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 12:30 PM

Mark Barnes:

How about this?

Version you are running

Update channel

Version you will receive*

Stable

Release Candidate

Beta

Standard

Stable

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Release Candidate

Stable

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Beta

Stable

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes, assuming that there is only one version of the installer program. The instructions in the header of the beta forum suggest that there is a seperate "beta installer." If there were not two installer programs then one would not need to download the "beta installer." The URL in that post gets the installer from what looks like a beta directory. That is why I am suspicious that there are two installers. If there were not two installers, then all one would need to do is change the update channel. One would not need to download a different installer. Maybe I am "over reading" the instructions.

Thanks for your effort on the neat table. Assuming there is only one installer it would great to have on the wiki.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 12:57 PM

Frank Fenby:
The URL in that post gets the installer from what looks like a beta directory. That is why I am suspicious that there are two installers. If there were not two installers, then all one would need to do is change the update channel. One would not need to download a different installer. Maybe I am "over reading" the instructions.

Frank,

The Table Mark documented is attempting to tell you what happens if you already have the application installed, and what it will do by itself.

If you instead manually run an installer, the table does NOT apply. The installer will do whatever its "payload" is. In the case of the Beta installer, expect to have the most recent beta stuff installed. (And, I'm guessing, you would then be enabled on the Beta channel too maybe.)

Note that some of the posted installer links on older posts seem to refer to an old and early copy of the Logos4 installer. Its important to NOT run a "random" installer from an old link in older postings.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 1:01 PM

Jim Towler:
In the case of the Beta installer, expect to have the most recent beta stuff installed. (And, I'm guessing, you would then be enabled on the Beta channel too maybe.)

Manually downloading and installing the latest beta will give you whatever you would have got from the beta channel (the channel will remain at default).

As far as I am aware, there are no 'old' copies of the Logos 4 installer. The file is replaced on the server, so I'm pretty sure it's impossible to install an old version, except perhaps from DVD.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 1:09 PM

Mark,

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15609/118975.aspx for comments about an OLD installer that is linked in a number of older posts.

The file version of the installer is OLD, but I don't know if it runs an old "payload'. Maybe it still uses the most current build, but has old install scripting.

If my caution in the above post has merit, it IS POSSIBLE to run an old installer.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 1:34 PM

Jim Towler:
The file version of the installer is OLD, but I don't know if it runs an old "payload'. Maybe it still uses the most current build, but has old install scripting.

Thanks, Jim, I hadn't noticed that. I've replied at that post to say that the install scripting and payload are the same for new and old versions of the installer.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 1:49 PM

Jim Towler:

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15609/118975.aspx for comments about an OLD installer that is linked in a number of older posts.

That answers the question! I remember reading those posts. That is what gave me the idea that there were different kinds of install packages. Once one has the Logos up and running Mark's table applies.  Please publish the table.

What caught me was not considering the possibility that the current state (beta, RC, or stable) would affect the meaning of "set update channel to ..."

I enjoyed being part of the 4.0b and 4.C beta cycles. (I relived a former life as a system designer and programmer.) I will opt out for 4.0d since I will be on the tundra in the Alaskan bush and then in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area of Colorado until August. Downloads of 10+ gigabytes are impossible in those places should I have crash and need to start over. Yes, I am taking a backup.

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 5:20 PM

Todd Phillips:

DaleWinters:

It's mostly the updated reverse interlinear files--which are large.

Hmm.  That explains why, when I checked my interlinear resources after the intial 59.9mb update, I could not find the "Display" button to change the behaviour of the interlinears!  And yes, the bigger update began shortly thereafter.  I'll just be patient now!  Smile

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 6:11 PM

Mark Barnes:

Frank Fenby:
we have a three dimensional matrix of possibilities

How about this?

Version you are running

Update channel

Version you will receive*

Stable

Release Candidate

Beta

Standard

Stable

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Release Candidate

Stable

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Beta

Stable

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Note: You will always receive the latest version, by version number, not by date. So If you are running 4.0d beta 3 in June, you won't receive 4.0c SR2 in July, regardless of any of your settings here.

Mark, this would be a great chart to add to the Update Channels wiki page. Would you be OK with that? Either add it yourself or give us the thumbs up. And again, I've never fully understood this stuff so I'd want Bradley to review it. But I think this chart is easier to understand than the other one that's currently there, but we should use both.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 4:57 AM

Rosie,

I realised there was no wiki page about the beta program at all, so I created one. It took me rather longer than I anticipated, so if you're able to add my table to the other Wiki page, that would be great.

Thanks,

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:49 AM

Rosie Perera:
Mark, this would be a great chart to add to the Update Channels wiki page.

The chart is inconsistent with Kevin's description and would need to be updated as below to better indicate the behaviour to be expected.

It is better to state that a beta installation cannot be updated to a Standard version when it can receive an RC, and if you want to prevent further betas then set the channel to Stable! Conversely, if you have a Standard (Std) installation you will not receive a beta version unless you set the channel to Beta.

Version you are running

Update channel

Version you will receive

Std

Release Candidate

Beta

Standard

Stable

Yes

No

No

Yes

No

No

Beta

YesNo

Yes

Yes

Release Candidate

Stable

Yes

No

No

Yes

No

No

Beta

YesNo

Yes

Yes

Beta

Stable

YesNo

No

No

YesNo

Yes

Yes

Beta

YesNo

Yes

Yes

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:59 AM

Dave Hooton:

The chart is inconsistent with Kevin's description and would need to be updated as below to better indicate the behaviour to be expected.

It is better to state that a beta installation cannot be updated to a Standard version when it can receive an RC, and if you want to prevent further betas then set the channel to Stable! Conversely, if you have a Standard (Std) installation you will not receive a beta version unless you set the channel to Beta.

Dave, good catch

I'm in the process of encoding the chart for the wiki, I will make the changes and upload it to the page when done.

EDIT: Dave, there's at least one error in your chart, if you set the update channel to Beta while running a Standard installation, you will get an update to the Beta. This chart depends on whether or not there is a higher version number published on the RSS feed.

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 7:20 AM

Kevin Becker:
EDIT: Dave, there's at least one error in your chart, if you set the update channel to Beta while running a Standard installation, you will get an update to the Beta.

I think the chart indicates that .....?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 7:48 AM

Here is my attempt to improve Mark's chart

What you see is a screen grab from a not-published preview from encoding the chart wiki. Creating a table like this on the wiki was a little bit harder than I thought! In it I distinguished between a Gold release and the SRs because they are released while a Beta cycle is ongoing. I inserted a few "footnotes" in an attempt to explain some oddities.

Did I succeed? Mark, should I upload this to your page and the one I started or did I over-complicate it?

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:29 AM

My, isn't this complicated?

Kevin, I think the caveats you'd added to the chart help make it precise, though I'm not sure your logic regarding what happens when you have the update channel to beta and you are running the Gold/SR version. Thinking about it, I'd put No, Yes, Yes, Yes across that row. For example, imagine that tomorrow Logos release 4.0c SR1. I presume all of us on the beta channel will receive it (though it's never happened so we can't be sure). You could add footnote 1 to the SR column here.

I was also a bit confused by your footnote (2). Is this better?

Technically users on the beta channel do not receive notification of the gold release. However, the Gold release is identical to the final Release Candidate which they do receive.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:02 AM

Mark Barnes:
I'm not sure your logic regarding what happens when you have the update channel to beta and you are running the Gold/SR version. Thinking about it, I'd put No, Yes, Yes, Yes across that row. For example, imagine that tomorrow Logos release 4.0c SR1. I presume all of us on the beta channel will receive it (though it's never happened so we can't be sure). You could add footnote 1 to the SR column here.

Good point. I was operating under the assumption that SR updates would only be published on the Stable RSS feed. If SR1 came about before the next beta cycle I can see why Logos would probably push it out on the Beta feed too. I'll go ahead and change the Yes/No and move the footnote. We can always change it back if this situation arises and Logos doesn't push the SR out over the Beta feed.

Mark Barnes:

I was also a bit confused by your footnote (2). Is this better?

Technically users on the beta channel do not receive notification of the gold release. However, the Gold release is identical to the final Release Candidate which they do receive.

Bradley said "However, when RC 2 (or RC 3 or RC 4...) is deemed stable enough to release, it will be published to the stable channel (as well as the beta channel). All 4.0b versions (beta or RC) will then automatically update themselves to it" (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9459/75479.aspx#75479 ) I interpreted his words as saying that the Beta RSS feed publishes the Gold release even though it is the same as the final RC. Seeing how this is a really fine (and pointless) distinction, it's probably best to adopt your wording.

Ok, I'll go ahead and upload this complex bit of code to the wiki and we can rework it when Bradley pops up to tell us we're all wrong Wink

Posts 71
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 10:36 AM

It was just auto updated in both desktop & laptop as L4c. It must be the gold release. Now I am waiting until indexing completes to see how gold it is in increased performance.

Warren Dane

Page 3 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS