Semantic Fields

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
B.J. Hilbelink | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 25 2018 2:31 PM

Is there any function on Logos that would help me in working with semantic fields? Specifically, I am doing a word study on the OT notion of herem ("decree of utter destruction"), and I'm wondering if there's any way I can get a readout of which words occur most often in its general vicinity. I know that I can always do a lemma search like this: lemma:X WITHIN 5 WORDS lemma:Y, but that doesn't really help because that would presuppose I already know which words occur with herem.

Posts 26706
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2018 6:18 PM

Benjamin Jon Hilbelink:
I am doing a word study on the OT notion of herem ("decree of utter destruction"),

herem also means 'devoted/consecrated' without being destroyed. 'destruction' is often added for clarity in English translations, so if you want to isolate that meaning, search for  <Lemma = lbs/he/חֵ֫רֶם:1> NEAR destruction (in ESV). If you want to involve the verb, the search becomes (<Lemma = lbs/he/חֵ֫רֶם:1>, <Lemma = lbs/he/חרם:1>) NEAR destruction.

Benjamin Jon Hilbelink:
I'm wondering if there's any way I can get a readout of which words occur most often in its general vicinity.

English words or Hebrew words?

You could inspect the Search Results as there are not too many (try Aligned view). But you might find a Bible Word Study of both noun and verb to be useful - look under the Translation section and Clause Participants.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:43 AM

Benjamin Jon Hilbelink:
Is there any function on Logos that would help me in working with semantic fields?

Does searching for the first sense of herem give you the granularity you desire?

searching the root gives me 115 results, searching the lemma (with vowel points) narrows it down to 29 results.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2
B.J. Hilbelink | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 2:17 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate it. 

To be a bit more specific, I'm a PhD student in OT doing a word study on חרם for my dissertation. (I'm looking at the verb and the noun because they're so closely related.) So what I'm looking for is a function that would give me a rapid read-out of the Hebrew words that occur most often in its vicinity. Currently I'm doing it the old-fashioned way, by combing through every instance.  

Posts 26706
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 5:12 AM

To automate it somewhat run a search like

* WITHIN 3 WORDS (<Lemma = lbs/he/חֵ֫רֶם:1>, <Lemma = lbs/he/חרם:1>)

and create a Word List from the Search Results menu.

The wildcard * means the search will take some time, but you will get lemmas within 3 words. Increase for more words in the vicinity. Ignore the Word List count for the study words.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19273
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 6:15 AM

Benjamin Jon Hilbelink:
So what I'm looking for is a function that would give me a rapid read-out of the Hebrew words that occur most often in its vicinity.

Welcome Big Smile

Morph Search can be analyzed for rapid read-out (with grouping by Nouns, Verbs, ...)

<LogosMorphHeb ~ N?????> WITHIN 5 WORDS (<Lemma = lbs/he/חֵ֫רֶם:1>, <Lemma = lbs/he/חרם:1>)

<LogosMorphHeb ~ V????????> WITHIN 5 WORDS (<Lemma = lbs/he/חֵ֫רֶם:1>, <Lemma = lbs/he/חרם:1>)

Morph Search can be combined:

(<LogosMorphHeb ~ N?????>,<LogosMorphHeb ~ V????????>) WITHIN 5 WORDS (<Lemma = lbs/he/חֵ֫רֶם:1>, <Lemma = lbs/he/חרם:1>)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2978
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 2:31 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Elegant, KS4J. Simply elegant.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS