Sync Personal Books on PC and Mac

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 293
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 4 2018 1:35 PM

I'm attempting to sync my personal books between my PC desktop and Mac laptop. I've placed all books in a folder on a shared Google Drive, yet while the Drive is shared, the PC and Mac paths are never the same. Anyone found a successful way to make this work (apart from Logos syncing Personal Books on their cloud!)? 

Posts 8955
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 2:26 PM

Jerry Smith:
Anyone found a successful way to make this work (apart from Logos syncing Personal Books on their cloud!)? 

Actually having Logos syncing them is the most easy way to do it. 

Then I think you are conflating the PB source with the compiled book. It seems you try to have the PB source on that Google drive (makes me wonder whether Google is so much more trustworthy than Faithlife...) and then to find a path to them that looks identical, so you can - and must! - build every PB on both machines, to have "synced" versions. Maybe someone with knowledge about drive paths on both machines can tell you whether that's possible.

My advice would be build the PBs on one machine and then use the scan command on the other (most simple is to have a copy of the folder content of the compiled PB books on a USB thumbdrive and then use scan d: or wherever the USB stick is mounted)     

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 293
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2018 12:51 PM

Thank you for your response. I don't mind the necessity to recompile the books if it would work (the cloud plan would definitely be better!). Just keep thinking someone in Logos land uses both PC and Mac platforms and Personal Books . . .

Posts 19473
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2018 1:52 PM

Jerry Smith:
Anyone found a successful way to make this work (apart from Logos syncing Personal Books on their cloud!)? 

What's the issue with this approach?

Have you tried it and it doesn't work, or are there reasons you don't want to go down this route?

Posts 17074
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2018 3:18 PM

Jerry Smith:
I don't mind the necessity to recompile the books if it would work ...

Recompile updates Personal Book Metadata (PB) so sync to older installation includes invalidation of previously compiled PB.

On 11 Nov 2016 created thread => Bug: 7.2 RC 3 Regression: Personal Book Discourse Glossary whose discussion includes:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Work around to Personal Book (PB) upload bug (metadata update) that effectively disables PB index(es) is compiling PB followed by using scan command for copying resource file to other installations.

For scan command, have used shared folders between PC and Mac in a Local Area Network (LAN).

Due to slow internet, downloaded new/updates resource(s) into one installation followed by using scan command to update other installations. Resource files are the same on PC and Mac so can use scan to copy & index updates as desired.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS