Emulating a lower package

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Shikai Ronnie Poon | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 4 2018 8:41 PM

I am a seminary teacher and I own a Logos gold package with many additional resources purchased over the years. We will be adopting the use of Logos in our classrooms with a more basic package.

Is there a way to limit the capability of my Logos temporarily when I prepare lessons that students will be able to replicate on their own installation of Logos. I don't want to tell them to do things that only work on my Logos but they don't have the same features on their package.

Posts 27126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 8:49 PM

Welcome! Smile

To answer your question, unfortunately the answer is no. Two thoughts:

1. You can create a second account to match theirs 
  2. You can encourage them to subscribe to Logos Now, which will provide all the features that you have (but not all the resources)

Edit: I mean Logos Connect 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 17809
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 10:01 PM

Shikai Ronnie Poon:
Is there a way to limit the capability of my Logos temporarily when I prepare lessons that students will be able to replicate on their own installation of Logos. I don't want to tell them to do things that only work on my Logos but they don't have the same features on their package.

Welcome Big Smile

Thankful for two Faithlife accounts: one has an order total of $ 0.00 that includes Basic , Verbum Basic , and Academic Basic (plus monthly free books)

Thankful can use Logos and Verbum at the same time so one application has a large library with all features enabled while free Basic is great for demonstrations: e.g. visual filter highlighting of original language morphology.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 476
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 11:25 PM

KS4J has the right idea if your students will have the free Basic package.  You can create a free school account with a separate email to use when preparing.  Download Basic and any other helpful resources that are free and viola - you're set!

If students will receive a paid-for Base Package (IE Starter, Bronze, etc.) you could tag the resources in those packages and create a collection from them and incorporate that collection into a custom guide or search query.  Not ideal, but it may be a workable solution until a better one comes along.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 4
Shikai Ronnie Poon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:00 AM

Thanks. I created a free second account that I can use on the web app. Do I need to install another instance of the program in order to run it on my PC?

Posts 24475
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:12 AM

Shikai Ronnie Poon:
I am a seminary teacher and I own a Logos gold package with many additional resources purchased over the years. We will be adopting the use of Logos in our classrooms with a more basic package.

It would help to know if the students will all have the same package and what it is. Is yours Logos 7 Gold with Full Feature Set?

You may have to emulate their package with resources you don't have! You can select their package (if Logos 7) and then Show "New to you" to find out. But you can't easily limit the features if you have Full and they have Starter e.g. you can't use Clause Search, Syntax Search, Sermon Editor, Sentence Diagram - this comparison should help.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 27126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:19 AM

Shikai Ronnie Poon:

Thanks. I created a free second account that I can use on the web app. Do I need to install another instance of the program in order to run it on my PC?

If you want to use the desktop app to emulate the situation, I think you will either need to create a new OS user account OR install another variant of the app (I.e Verbum, Noet). Logos was not really designed to switch between accounts, although there is the ability to log out. Doing so may cause unexpected issues. 

Posts 17809
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 6:26 AM

Shikai Ronnie Poon:

Faithlife web sites can share login credentials within a browser. Google's Chrome has People so each person has their own identity. Hence, Web App can be open in different browsers (OR different People) using both accounts.

One Operating System (OS) user can have Logos and Verbum applications installed/open with the same OR different Faithlife accounts.

JT (alabama24):
I think you will either need to create a new OS user account OR install another variant of the app (I.e Verbum, Noet). Logos was not really designed to switch between accounts, although there is the ability to log out.

Concur applications and mobile apps were not really designed for easy switching of users. Note: Noet lacks Bible Study features in Logos and Verbum.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 940
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 8:19 AM

Why not show them what they are missing... now is the best time for them to buy more at a steep student discount;) 

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 4
Shikai Ronnie Poon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 8:31 AM

John Goodman:

Why not show them what they are missing... now is the best time for them to buy more at a steep student discount;) 

I intend to show them what they are missing. But I need to know what they have and what they are missing in order to do that.

Posts 996
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:56 AM

Shikai Ronnie Poon:

John Goodman:

I intend to show them what they are missing. But I need to know what they have and what they are missing in order to do that.

Speaking as someone who has been in the student's seat fairly recently, I appreciate the approach you're taking.  It's frustrating when professors don't appear to be aware of what's been provided to students, and what would require additional purchases.  I always planned on having to buy at least a couple of books for each class, but anything that can help hold the cost down is a real benefit to students.

Posts 608
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 11:13 AM

Regarding resources, Logos does allow you to hide resources so they  don't appear in searches etc. I'm guessing you could tag all the resources your students font have and hide these when you wanted to. You can add things to the hidden resources by opening "tools" then "program settings". If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page there you can drag the resources you don't want to show up into the box. If you wanted to do this more than once I would tag all of the resources so you can easily find them each time you want to do this.  To make the resources appear again just remove them from the list. I guess this would cause the computer to re-index though but I am not sure ? 

Posts 27126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 11:26 AM

Dave Thawley:
Regarding resources, Logos does allow you to hide resources so they  don't appear in searches etc.

Dave Thawley:
I guess this would cause the computer to re-index though but I am not sure ? 

That would not be a good method... Indeed, it would require a redownload and index. It may also be that restoring the resources is one-at-a time. I think I read that somewhere. Tongue Tied

Posts 9821
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 11:29 AM

Dave Thawley:
Regarding resources, Logos does allow you to hide resources so they  don't appear in searches etc. I'm guessing you could tag all the resources your students font have and hide these when you wanted to.

This would only be a good solution when one does this on a second installation (such as Verbum) and makes sure the "hidden" status of books never syncs to the main Logos installation - since it is much too cumbersome to unhide resource one by one, otherwise it would cripple the professor's installation. Moreover, this would only affect library resources, but a certain part of the difference would be he datasets and features contained only in the higher packages. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 608
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 11:36 AM

JT (alabama24):
That would not be a good method... Indeed, it would require a redownload and index. It may also be that restoring the resources is one-at-a time. I think I read that somewhere. Tongue Tied

I don't think it would affect download unless I am  mistaken. I agree about the re-index though BUT you are right about the one at a time removal from the list. I hadn't realized this was the case but after just trying it I am afraid it is so it would  take a long time. Thanks for the correction :-)  I think  perhaps this is a feature that needs correcting in a future release :-) 

Posts 17809
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 11:49 AM

Shikai Ronnie Poon:

+1 Yes Appreciate approach.

Dave Thawley:
Regarding resources, Logos does allow you to hide resources so they  don't appear in searches etc.

Hiding causes resource(s) to disappear from your library on all your devices (also needs reindexing to remove hidden stuff from indexes).

Alternative idea for searches (and sections in Guides) is using collection(s) that have same resources included in Student bundles.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24475
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 3:13 PM

Dave Thawley:

JT (alabama24):

I don't think it would affect download unless I am  mistaken. I agree about the re-index though BUT you are right about the one at a time removal from the list. I hadn't realized this was the case but after just trying it I am afraid it is so it would  take a long time. Thanks for the correction :-)  I think  perhaps this is a feature that needs correcting in a future release :-) 

Hiding resources is not a good idea in this case. In general, restoration is one at a time but indexing occurs only if the restored resource was updated after it was hidden.

You do not have to re-index after hiding resources; doing so will cause all the resources to be indexed when they are restored.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS