BW's Final (selling) Day - If You're Interested

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10439
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 15 2018 9:51 AM

I'd suspect most Bible software folks are single-platform-ers. Learning issues. Resources glued to the platform. And life isn't software.

But from my first Bible software, I always wondered about the developers. It's highly fragmented (I guess from the above). And the guys (all?) seem driven.

Olivetree sold to a publisher. Spokane Wa. I wondered if they'd go commercial ... so far so good. Laridian did a major re-write last year, and is still expanding their library and low cost. Accordance seems to be trying to cut into the library core of Logos; a nice selection. Down in Florida. I don't know anything about WordSearch. Our pastor likes it.

BW is a bit distressing. I didn't own it until their door-closing sale. I hope they didn't sell below cost. I'd feel guilty. Arrives today.

Distressing because of WHY they closed ... a declining market. That's really not good. With the press's salivating at 'the' issue at Ft Worth, thense Dallas, there were a number of Christianity stats and polls. Not good. The one most bothersome is the religious delta between older vs younger generations per country. The US is one of the highest. That's a ticking clock problem.

On BW's forum, there was a good note from one of BW's developers, that speaks to the future. If you're comfortable with multiple platforms, it might interest you:

---

Let me reiterate that it is my intention to keep BW10 running for as long as I am alive (I am in good health). And even after that the likelihood of the program breaking on Windows is small. The program is at the top of its game right now. If you are happy with it just stick with it until it is no longer serving your needs. Don't rush out and spend money on a new platform until you really need to. I intend to continue using the program and there is nothing else out there that I find tempting.

On the issue of making the source code available, BibleWorks chose early on to integrate resources very tightly with the program. Just removing access to licensed material is non-trivial. And that would have to be done before releasing code to anyone. I also don't want to burn too many bridges. A public domain version some time in the future is not at all out of the question. The main thing holding that back is a few critical licensed databases that would have to be replaced (like the Hebrew morphology) and the fact that so many features are tied to NA28. We would have to work something out with the German Bible Society and I have no idea whether they would be willing to do that. In general what we want to do right now is (1) support people who own a current license to BW10 and (2) leave as many doors open as possible for future work. What I want to avoid is producing a public domain version only to have other companies market Bible versions to plug into it. We have fought tooth and nail for 25 years against the practice of turning Scripture into a commodity. It has always felt like a losing battle.

Mike

Posts 1058
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 10:41 AM

Mike:

What I want to avoid is producing a public domain version only to have other companies market Bible versions to plug into it. We have fought tooth and nail for 25 years against the practice of turning Scripture into a commodity. It has always felt like a losing battle.

I fail to see the problem here (besides the fact that they've been commoditizing Scripture for the past 25 years). So another company might use the framework (though if BW GPLs it that would be hard to do without giving back), but even if that's the case, it's still there for anybody to do with what they'd like. 

Posts 10439
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 3:42 PM

William Gabriel:

Mike:

What I want to avoid is producing a public domain version only to have other companies market Bible versions to plug into it. We have fought tooth and nail for 25 years against the practice of turning Scripture into a commodity. It has always felt like a losing battle.

I fail to see the problem here ... 

I get the feeling, they don't want to get locked in too soon.  Which means he's still in the software thinking world; planning.

I got my BW. Runs on the SSD no problem. Just minutes later, glad I got it (just hours to go):

- Maps: support layers, ages, or even pick a Bible book. Neat. High quality backgrounds.

- Mss images. I'm always offline, so this is really great.

- Diagramming module (lazy me; prefer a glance)

- Peshitta stuff and new translation. Why I wanted it.

Now I have Libby, Logos and BW all set up. Pretty neat.

Posts 6652
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 5:51 PM

Logos for the original language tools and large theological library, Accordance for CARTA and some cool features and WORDsearch for the variety of cheap sermon prep resources along with some other cheaper books not available in Logos or Accordance. No need for BW for me.  I don’t think I can make the time for another learning curve experience.  Plus, I’d rather save for at least one Logos upgrade and Accordance whenever they come.

DAL

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 6:29 PM

Denise:
Now I have Libby, Logos and BW all set up. Pretty neat.

Hope it enriches your studies Denise, I was tempted to pick up BW but I have to be honest with myself I am not likely to become that well versed in OL's in the near future for it to be of value to me.  By the time / If  I reach that point, I trust Logos will have continued to of developed along nicely in that area.

In the meantime you have picked up some nice extra materials and tools which you can make use of straight away, just hope Libby doesn't get jealous about the new kid in your stable.

Posts 6652
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 6:51 PM

Libby...LOL...I had a girlfriend that went by Libby, so everytime I see that name here it reminds me of her and not the Software Libronix 😁

DAL

Posts 10439
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 12:44 PM

doc:

... just hope Libby doesn't get jealous about the new kid in your stable.

Oh my. I really am not sure Libby's going to survive, though plain text reading is still easiest on Libronix (senior eyes).

But I've been having fun on BW. I really think BW'er => Logos is optimal. Prior to yesterday, I thought BW=> Accordance, since A is more similar and less pricey. But together, Logos and BW is great.

BW is sort of high-speed and pre-defined presentation. Great for searching around. Logos is more adaptable, slower, but considerably more depth. 

And BW is terribly addictive, since you just can't not follow another rabbit trail. Somehow I got on 'holiness' in BW from it's instant word lists. I bounced to Logos, picked it up in Rick's analytical. That oddly pointed to 2 Cor 1:12. Which took me to the LEB interlinear. Which then went hay-wire in the Logos reverse-interlinears (everyone except LEB has simplicity instead of holiness). Then I bounced back to BW to look at the mss images. What a riot ... I can see the problem. Pretty neat.

DAL ... think 'green beans'!  Libby, Libby, on the Label, Label!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS