What happens with online features if Logos went belly up?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 20 2018 6:06 AM

It is not altogether clear to me how many features of Logos actually depend on connecting to Logos servers. I know this is obviously the case (so far) with the android app, but does this apply at all to features of the desktop version? Just wondering how functional Logos would remain if the company closed down like Bibleworks did. 

Posts 995
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 6:47 AM

That would seem to be a significant advantage for features that are designed so that they can work offline.

Posts 2816
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 6:58 AM

I do wish the mobile apps could do some basic functions beyond just reading books offline.  I mean things like search resources that are downloaded to the device.  I also wish the mobile apps were capable of handling all my logos effectively if downloaded to an iPad type device.  

For me those would be two important improvements in the Logos mobile apps.  Unless, I am mistaken, the mobile apps are not capable of doing either of these functions.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2022
LogosEmployee

Francis:

It is not altogether clear to me how many features of Logos actually depend on connecting to Logos servers. I know this is obviously the case (so far) with the android app, but does this apply at all to features of the desktop version? Just wondering how functional Logos would remain if the company closed down like Bibleworks did. 

You can look for articles in the help file with a [Net] tag. It looks like someone also put up a wiki page with a list of the online features: https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7_Online_Only_Features

Posts 17787
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 10:31 AM

Francis:
Just wondering how functional Logos would remain if the company closed down like Bibleworks did. 

Thankful for substantial Logos/Verbum application functionality without internet. Personally have a MacBook Air (MBA) with Use Internet set to No, which is useful in Bible Studies and Church. When want to sync and update resources/programs, can change Use Internet to Yes (when have stable network connection).

FYI: online features depend on internet being functional. Company could profitably be in business when something happens to disrupt server access (several "birth pang" scenarios come to mind since hearing "peace and security" being trumpeted).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27107
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 10:35 AM

Michael Childs:
search resources that are downloaded to the device.

This is already possible! 

Michael Childs:
I also wish the mobile apps were capable of handling all my logos effectively if downloaded to an iPad type device.

I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you want "full Logos" on the mobile app? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9913
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 10:43 AM

Francis:

Well, I'm pretty-much already there. I don't need a new PC or iPad mini, and FL wafted on its merry way. And really, nothing happened.  Some books I call in refunds on. Bible Browser maybe? Text-comp-interlinear?  None significant (to me).

But. I give good odds that the web version (new development ... which also doesn't run on my platforms) will tempt FL to go web more often on the desktops. Save on both windows and Mac. Bet.  Business is business.  

Posts 769
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 2:39 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
It looks like someone also put up a wiki page with a list of the online features: https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7_Online_Only_Features

That list doesn't include Installation which would seem to be the 800 lb. gorilla if Logos went "belly up".  IOW, as it stands right now, if they did go belly up and your desktop installation also became corrupted, or you simply wanted to move your Logos to a different machine,  ...

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 2:47 PM

You can do an offline installation using Method 1 at https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers - this does require a valid backup 

Posts 769
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 3:07 PM

Graham Criddle:

You can do an offline installation using Method 1 at https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers - this does require a valid backup 

Okay, thanks.  I guess I never realized that procedure was there - I've used Method 2 but never really looked at Method 1.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS