Textual Criticism Resource

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 27 2018 4:21 AM

I am trying to see if it would be a good investment for me to purchase Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible, 3rd Edition by Emmanuel Tov for the pre-pub price of $40, when I already have Lexham Methods series.  Also, I see that I can get Paul Wegner's A Students Guide to Textual Criticism of the Bible for $12.  Thoughts on the pros and cons of these resources when comparing them to each other?  Thanks.

Posts 777
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 7:39 AM

My impression is that the Lexham Methods book on textual criticism is a little light on details -- which is probably how it was conceived. It's well done, but one might find it as great material to present to a lay audience. Wegner's book also seems pretty good with a lot more detail and sophistication. But Tov's volume, IIRC, is even more detailed and would be useful for academic work. Others might chime in with a different perspective, of course.

Posts 975
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 8:29 AM

I've only had Tov's first edition but it is a very heady tome and you would find it exhaustive and probably exhausting. I'm sure the other two you mention are much more basic introductions to the subject. It will depend on how deep you want to go.

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:00 AM

I want resources that would be respected in the academic community- so for any papers I write, I want to cite sources that are considered "expert" in their field.

Thank you for your insights.

Posts 975
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 12:13 PM

Tov is what you want then. Do this Google search and look for the Textual Traditions syllabus (#4 for me). https://www.google.com/search?q=macdiv+textual+criticism It has a list of required textbooks and an extensive bibliography at the end.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS