Two Logos installations on same PC? (2 different Faithlife accounts)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 200
Dudley C. Rose | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 28 2018 8:03 PM

Does anyone have experience with putting two installations of Logos on one PC? I know I would need a second Logos account (is that okay), but is it possible to switch between the two installations? I teach at a divinity school and would like to put Academic Basic in addition to my main installation so I can see exactly what my students see if they're using Academic Basic. There may be a much better way to do what I want. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posts 24442
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 8:59 PM

You can have multiple Faithlife/Logos accounts, and you can use multiple accounts from one installation! Press CTRL when starting Logos to see the Sign-in window, enter the email & password of the other account, and Logos will initially download and index its resources. Thereafter it will use whatever account you Sign-in, but if you start it normally (without CTRL) the previous account will be used.

Otherwise, create another Windows user account and install the second Logos account. This will use a little more disk space (c. 350 MB) than the other method, but it may be faster switching Windows user accounts than switching Logos accounts and both can be running at the same time.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 9812
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 10:53 PM

Dudley,

in addition to Dave's advice, there is the possibility of running two installations under one OS user when you run Logos and Verbum. The Verbum engine is free and the functionality is nearly identical (in fact, it will be identical if you buy Verbum Basic for both accounts and then put Logos into Verbum mode by use of the command "Set Verbum to Yes" - it then will use slightly different default priorizations and another Logo, but other than that the program is identical). Both programs then use their own library - in your case it could be different libraries for different Logos user ids, others are using this to run a beta installation and a stable version of Logos with the ability to have them show side by side.

Hope this helps,

Mick   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 200
Dudley C. Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2018 9:52 AM

Thanks, Dave and Mick. Excellent.

Dudley

Posts 5232
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2018 1:49 PM

NB.Mick:
"Set Verbum to Yes"

Under 7.16  Set Verbum to Yes just results in Search for Set Verbum to Yes I am not sure when the option was removed but it has been on the mac anyway unless I am doing something wrong...

-dan

Posts 24442
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2018 4:48 PM

Dan Francis:
Under 7.16  Set Verbum to Yes just results in Search for Set Verbum to Yes

That will happen if you enclose it with quotes. Set Verbum to Yes (no quotes) still invokes the command in Windows, but Faithlife recommend you use the Verbum app.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5232
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2018 5:54 AM

I wasn’t using quotes it may have been removed from Mac, although now I am curious because I have logos and installed as a sample of basic and Verbum would be more helpful, but not a super big deal. 

-dan 

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2018 11:48 AM

Just to summarise the posts above (for future users too). There are three options to running two versions of Logos on the same Windows computer. For all methods you'll obviously need a separate Logos account.

1. Method 1 — hold down CTRL when starting Logos, and enter the log-in details. When ever you want to change to a different user, you'll have to repeat this process. You can have as many users as you want.
  2. Method 2 — install Logos and Verbum side by side. You can download Verbum from here. Verbum is almost identical to Logos, but can be made exactly identical by running the command "set verbum to no" in the command bar. You only need to do this once.
  3. Method 3 — install a second (or third) Logos in a separate Windows account.
  4. Method 4 — install a second Logos in a virtual machine. If you don't know what this means, it isn't for you. But if you happen to have a spare VM already running, it's a possibility.

Which to choose?

• For one person who wants two Logos accounts, use Method 2.
  • For families who don't mind having separate Windows accounts, use Method 3.
  • For families who don't want to have separate Windows accounts, use Method 1.

Please note:

• Multiple installations won't share resources or the index. You'll have double the disk-space no matter which method you choose.
  • However, you can save some resource-downloading time by skipping download (use custom installation), and then using the SCAN command to copy resources from the other installation.
  • Method 1 uses the same application for both users, so isn't suitable as a safe way of beta testing Logos on a second install.
Posts 17787
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2018 10:15 PM

Mark Barnes:
For all methods you'll obviously need a separate Logos account.

These methods also work on Mac. Method 4 variation is installing both Logos and Verbum in a virtual machine.

Method 2 (and 4 variant) observation is user choice of stable OR beta for each application.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1773
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:02 AM

Mark Barnes:
You'll have double the disk-space no matter which method you choose.

Is there absolutely no way around this? I recently wanted to have a separate installation (for a particular test cycle), but I simply can't afford the additional disk space. I tried both an alias and a symlink of my resources folder, but Logos didn't seem to recognize that. I thought that this should work because of both being on the same account, but nope! Has anyone tried this with any success?

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:05 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
Is there absolutely no way around this?

No - sorry

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 2:08 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
Is there absolutely no way around this? I recently wanted to have a separate installation (for a particular test cycle), but I simply can't afford the additional disk space. I tried both an alias and a symlink of my resources folder, but Logos didn't seem to recognize that. I thought that this should work because of both being on the same account, but nope! Has anyone tried this with any success?

A symlink is theoretically possible, but only between applications running the same version (which is therefore pointless in most scenarios). In theory you could delete the random folder created by the new installation (the one in the logos/data folder), and then symlink a folder with the same name from your other random folder. Then symlink the system folder to make sure the same app version is running on both installs. I ran like that for a few weeks. However, it's completely unsupported, and if you have both Logos' open at the same time, you're asking for trouble. I definitely wouldn't recommend it, as you'll probably end up corrupting your installation!

Posts 17787
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 2:30 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
I tried both an alias and a symlink of my resources folder, but Logos didn't seem to recognize that. ... Has anyone tried this with any success?

Downloading & updating resource file(s) in one installation causes indexing in other installation(s) to become incorrect, which appears in search results and visual filter highlighting. Another issue is using resource file in one installation while trying to download & replace file in another installation. If resource file can be replaced, scrolling in installation that does not know about downloaded resource has potential for crash (end of file changed) OR surprising jump.

Personally have shared a WebCache folder between installations. WebCache has downloaded media files (e.g. mobile education videos), which are not indexed (only read/played).

Due to lack of internal SSD space, have relocated Resources folder to USB drive on a MacBook Air (using symbolic link, which worked OK with many application & resource updates/upgrades). Logos wiki has => Install in different folder or drive

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27
Shannon L. Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 5:20 AM

I have tried (in Verbum) the  "Set Verbum to No" command without success. It only brings up a search. Does this only work in Logos with "Set Verbum to Yes," or I am doing something wrong?

Posts 17787
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:59 AM

Shannon L. Newsome:
Does this only work in Logos with "Set Verbum to Yes," or I am doing something wrong?

Replicated Logos 7 Beta 1 having Tools (command) to change Verbum setting while Verbum lacks it (so command "Set Verbum to No" is not available). In a library with $0.00 order total, few resources have content for Verbum Yes: e.g. Douay-Rheims Bible has deuterocanonical books. The "Church Documents" built-in collection has "The Catechism of the Council of Trent (Text Only)". The "Church Fathers" collection has two resources with St Augustine. Home Page has different content, especially online stuff.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS