An Additional Bible Suggestion

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 131
Scot Wright | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 14 2010 11:00 PM

I would love to see The New English Bible in Logos. First published in 1961 (New Testament) with the Old Testament and Apocrypha following in 1970, it is a wonderful translation from a great British scholarship tradition. The translation reads very well and it seems to be very difficult to find a printed copy. This would be a great resource to have and compare with the other Bible translations in Logos.

Posts 19699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 1:54 AM

+1 Yes

Yes, especially since the UBS Handbooks refer to it all the time.

I'd like to see the Revised English Bible (REB) as well, which is an update of the NEB.

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 9:50 AM

I'll add my Yes to this latest suggestion .for the NEB

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 9:51 AM

And also Yes for the REB.

Posts 36312
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 12:21 PM

Yes, NEB and REB are essential - I use them all the time in paper form. But we also need the Jerusalem Bible because in a number of countries its the translation for the lectionary. We only have the NJB. The other version I personally would like to see is the Community Bible.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 9:38 AM

Jerusalem Bible, also.  I prefer it to the NJB.  As for the Community Bible, I haven't been able to find it in hardcopy, but would certainly welcome it in L4.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 1:55 AM

MJ. Smith:
The other version I personally would like to see is the Community Bible.

Martha, are you referring to the Christian Community Bible (the one from the Philippines) or another translation?

Absolutely agree on the Jerusalem Bible. Given that it is still in print, I can't see why they wouldn't allow it in Logos....

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 2:33 AM

I'd buy the NEB, if only for historical purposes. It would be great to have a reverse interlinear to analyse translation choices.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 36312
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:27 PM

Damian McGrath:
Martha, are you referring to the Christian Community Bible (the one from the Philippines) or another translation?

Yes, the one from the Philippines.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:40 PM

MJ. Smith:

Damian McGrath:

Yes, the one from the Philippines.

Better late than never.Big Smile

MJ. Smith:
we also need the Jerusalem Bible because in a number of countries its the translation for the lectionary

Just out of curiosity, is there a list somewhere of what translation is used in various countries? (Major languages; I don't necessarily need to know about Hungarian or Vietnamese.Stick out tongue)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 36312
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 5:31 PM

fgh:
is there a list somewhere of what translation is used in various countries?

Not that I have been able to find.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS