Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 20 2018 1:37 PM

I've been experimenting with using Reftagger with the Simplified Chinese Union Bible, with this version code:  hlybblsmpshndtn

I'm impressed and it works quite nicely! I do have to use the bibleref markup with the references specified in English, since it can't automatically detect and parse the Chinese references.

The one problem I have is that the passage reference displayed in the Tooltip header is still in English. If I provided you with a a spreadsheet or list of Bible book names in Chinese, would you be able to add support for displaying the references in English?  Thanks!

Posts 34
David Loo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 6:00 PM

I would love to have Chinese SCUV available as well. Thanks.

Posts 8
Yiteng | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 9:33 PM

Hi Michael,

Is the screenshot of Reftagger working on a website, or built within the Logos Bible Software?

I feel the need to use a Reftagger of the Chinese version Bible for my blog, but it's hard to find one. All of them are in English.

Posts 2
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 10:33 AM

Hi Yiteng,

Yes, it was a screenshot of Reftagger working on a website. The Chinese Union version is not listed as )a version choice in the Customizer wizard (https://faithlife.com/products/reftagger/customize). However, I saw it among some other versions listed in the code. So perhaps it is a version they may add support for in the future, but I have no idea.

I got it to work by loading the refTagger script in this manner:

<script>
var refTagger = {

settings: {
bibleVersion: "hlybblsmpshndtn",
socialSharing: []
}
};
(function(d, t) {
var g = d.createElement(t), s = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];
g.src = "//api.reftagger.com/v2/RefTagger.js";
s.parentNode.insertBefore(g, s);
}(document, "script"));

</script>

So basically, you can generate the script using the Customizer tool, then substitute the Bible version.

In your blog, whenever you wish to use a Bible reference popup, you will need to use "bibleref" syntax.  You'll need to edit the HTML source and add a tag like this:

<cite class="bibleref" title="John 3:16">约翰福音3:16</cite>

The opening <cite> tag contains the class "bibleref" and the title attribute needs to contain the reference in English (with English punctuation as well). Between the opening <cite> and closing </cite> tags, you can include the reference in Chinese, or any text that you want.

So if you want to write:  请参约翰福音3:16,

You will write:

请参<cite class="bibleref" title="John 3:16">约翰福音3:16</cite>.

So the tool can display Bible verses in Chinese, but it can only parse English references. Also, the reference in the title bar will still display English.

Since text displayed with <cite> tags are normally in italics, you may wish to edit the CSS in your blog to display this text without italics, since it doesn't look good with Chinese characters.

Besides this solution, there is another tool, the Bibles.org highlighter (http://webtools.bible/highlighter.html) that can also display Chinese. It loads a larger passage.

Eventually, I wasn't satisfied with these and decided to develop my own popup tool, which retrieves the verses from a local server.

I'd be glad to help if I can be of assistance. Blessings to you!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS