Oh no! Reindexing again

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Chris Walley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 16 2010 12:18 PM

I'm afraid that Logos 4 has a poor reputation in this house.

I use it perhaps once a week and it seems that almost everytime I try and use it it slows down to an unusable level sometimes for hours because of reindexing or downloading. In fact it slows down my whole machine. And 4.0C is now doing "first time indexing!"  This was a fast machine; it becomes a slug with Logos 4. This is madness and it discriminates against anyone pastors without I7 quad core monsters.  Please dont tell me to switch off indexing; it has to be done sometime.   

Be warned! I am increasingly using my iphone Olive tree software rather than this.  

Chris

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 12:25 PM

Chris,

I'm sorry that's your experience. It's not mine particularly, and I'm on a fairly humble Dual Core processor. You'll need to let Logos finish indexing, otherwise it will drag on for ever. The simplest thing is just pause indexing when it starts (so you can keep using your machine), and then keep your machine on overnight. The indexing will automatically resume 4 hours after being paused, and will almost certainly have finished by the morning.You'll need to ensure your computer doesn't automatically power off or go into standby, of course.

Once indexing has completed, it should only need to re-run if there is a major download. These can occur if you purchase a lot of new books, or if there is a major upgrade to the software (such as the upgrade to 4.0c you referred to).

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 12:26 PM

I consider myself warned! Big Smile

I'm sorry for your issues. Be aware that not every system has those problems.  I have a Core Duo laptop that handles Logos 4 fine.  Before I got that I was running it on a single core pentium, and I just let it index at night.  Of course Logos ran a bit slower on that than my current laptop, but it was still plenty usable.  There's always gonna be hardware that can't handle current software. 

What are your computer specs?

(What don't you just install Logos3 instead of using your iphone?  Logos 3 runs fine on older hardware and you'd have access to all of your resources.)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 6
Chris Walley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 1:44 PM

Thanks.

Actually if you pause indexing Logos still uses a lot of resources. So you have to switch it off with Task Manager and start all over again. Yes I will have to leave it on overnight but you have to ask yourself should this be needed?

I think we need  Logos Lite!  

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 1:48 PM

ChrisWalley:
Actually if you pause indexing Logos still uses a lot of resources.

When you say "a lot of resources", what do you mean? RAM, CPU, or something else? My experience has been zero CPU and small RAM whilst paused.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 6
Chris Walley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 1:52 PM

Todd 

This is a two year old E6750 Core Duo 2.66 GHz Dell with 3 gig of RAM under Windows 7.

I may indeed  go back to Logos 3. Is that possible? Can I use all my resources? Sounds like going from Vista to Windows XP.

Chris    

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 3:35 PM

Chris,

Your machine spec is very similar to mine. Once reindexing is finished, I'm sure you'll find performance acceptable (not quick, but acceptable!).

If you want to reinstall Logos 3, you should following this links on this page: http://wiki.logos.com/Re-install_resources_for_Libronix_3

The first step is to reinstall the program (the first link on that page). Once that is done you reinstall the resources from your base package by following the appropriate link on this page:http://wiki.logos.com/LE_Resources_for_Logos_3

After that, go back to the previous page and run each of the other links in turn to make sure you have everything.

You don't need to uninstall Logos 4 - the two programs will happily co-exist. In my view Logos 4 is without doubt worth persevering with.

Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 4:33 PM

ChrisWalley:

This is a two year old E6750 Core Duo 2.66 GHz Dell with 3 gig of RAM under Windows 7.

I may indeed  go back to Logos 3.

Chris

Right now I'm running both L3 and L4 on my 3+ year old laptop (see specs below) and the response of L4 is good (not instant but less than 1sec). I index when it is convenient to me because I set Automatically Download Updates to NO (in Program Settings).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 4:35 PM

Chris,

After you're done indexing you may want to check out this page on the Wiki

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Running_Slowly

There are some helpful hints for improving performance. If you are running a 32 bit version of Win7 you may also want to look into upgrading to a 64bit version. I recently did that and significantly imporved performance without any hardware changes.

Posts 22
Arttu Hiekkanen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 11:28 PM

The latest update (L4c) seems to cause this. I wonder if this "first time indexing" really is all that heavy of a process. I mean that the software stays quite functional if you pause the indexing during your work and let it chew when you are off the computer. Besides, I don't think anyone does defragging to his disks during his work. The machine does this fine all by itself, no supervisor needed.

I actually had a problem getting this indexing to restart after a network anomaly. The command "merge index" seemed to do the trick (still waiting:1h7m). The notification on first-time indexing just sat there doing nothing for a day until I demanded a merge.

This is from the POV of a single core pentium4 user, L4 is "fine" for me.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS