search for questions in a chapter

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
Rick Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 13 2018 5:44 AM

I would like to search for all the questions asked in a particular chapter of the bible, is there a way to do this?

Posts 17734
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 10:33 AM

Welcome Big Smile

Personally started with a search saved in my Favorites from an earlier forum discussion => Finding Every Questions Asked by God?

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Question>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (No)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (Yes)>}) WITHIN ({Speaker <Person God>} OR {Speaker <Person Jesus>} OR {Speaker <Person Holy Spirit>})

Changed search for questions in Job chapters 38 to 41 (using Milestone)

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Question>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (No)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (Yes)>}) WITHIN {Milestone <Jb 38-41>}

Noticed a number of questions were not highlighted so expanded search

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Question>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (No)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (Yes)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Alternative>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Elaboration>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Expansion>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Purpose>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Result>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Wish (Pos.)>}) WITHIN {Milestone <Jb38-41>}

Propositional Outline Elaboration results include questions and statements.

Collection "Bible Compare English" has Reverse Interlinear Bibles that have been enabled for Interlinear comparison in the New Testament.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 12:53 PM

It is great we can construct complex searches but your answer, though well thought out, highlights everything that is wrong with Logos searching if that is what is required to answer the OP’s question.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Welcome Big Smile

Personally started with a search saved in my Favorites from an earlier forum discussion => Finding Every Questions Asked by God?

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Question>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (No)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (Yes)>}) WITHIN ({Speaker <Person God>} OR {Speaker <Person Jesus>} OR {Speaker <Person Holy Spirit>})

Changed search for questions in Job chapters 38 to 41 (using Milestone)

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Question>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (No)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (Yes)>}) WITHIN {Milestone <Jb 38-41>}

Noticed a number of questions were not highlighted so expanded search

({Section <PropositionalOutline = Question>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (No)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Question (Yes)>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Alternative>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Elaboration>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Expansion>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Purpose>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Result>} OR {Section <PropositionalOutline = Wish (Pos.)>}) WITHIN {Milestone <Jb38-41>}

Propositional Outline Elaboration results include questions and statements.

Collection "Bible Compare English" has Reverse Interlinear Bibles that have been enabled for Interlinear comparison in the New Testament.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 4:09 PM

Or for the New Testament see: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/129245.aspx

I don't know Hebrew so I can't tell you if this needs refining or if "apparent misses" are the difference between the underlying Hebrew and English translation. but <LogosMorphHeb ~ I> works nicely.

doc:
if that is what is required to answer the OP’s question.

I'm glad you qualified your statement.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24335
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 4:47 PM

doc:
It is great we can construct complex searches but your answer, though well thought out, highlights everything that is wrong with Logos searching if that is what is required to answer the OP’s question.

It is more pertinent to note that the tagging of "questions" by this datatype is elaborate, so please don't criticise responses like this when there is an appropriate (11+ page) thread in which to vent one's opinion on Searching.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24335
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 5:43 PM

MJ. Smith:
I don't know Hebrew so I can't tell you if this needs refining or if "apparent misses" are the difference between the underlying Hebrew and English translation. but <LogosMorphHeb ~ I> works nicely.

It does miss several "questions" e.g. Job 9:2, 4. But I see that the "how" and "Who" are pronoun-interrogatives  <LogosMorphHeb ~ RI?????>. Which then brings the results close to KS4J's original query. The inclusion of   {Section <PropositionalOutline = Elaboration>}  is significant in terms of results, but one has to "flesh out" the cases where it reveals an independent "question".

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 6
Rick Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 7:06 PM

Thanks that is what I was wanting.

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 8:28 PM

Dave I am not quite why you think it was a criticism of the response, I spoke positively of the search as constructed, It is simply continuation of the broader dialogue on the forums in recent times of the need to simplify things which had occurred in multiple threads not just one as you are implying.

Most of the time I post on the forums, including this ocassion I was and am now on my phone, often travelling on public transport and it is difficult to search for related posts and copy and paste the information between threads. 

If you don’t value my feedback on issues you are free to pass by it rather than reading things into my post I never said or implied.

Dave Hooton:

doc:

It is more pertinent to note that the tagging of "questions" by this datatype is elaborate, so please don't criticise responses like this when there is an appropriate (11+ page) thread in which to vent one's opinion on Searching.

Posts 17734
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 10:37 PM

MJ. Smith:

Sentence tagging was expanded to Old Testament in Mar 2017 => New Feature: Sentence Types of the Old Testament Dataset

{Section <Sentence = Interrogative>} WITHIN {Milestone <Jb38-41>}

MJ. Smith:
I don't know Hebrew so I can't tell you if this needs refining ...

Adding Dave's refinement

(<LogosMorphHeb ~ I> OR <LogosMorphHeb ~ RI?????>) WITHIN {Milestone <Jb38-41>}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3587
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2018 1:30 AM

Another, simple method: navigate to the chapter in question, invoke the "Find" command (CTL-F in Windows) and search for "?". It does not produce a list though.

Posts 6
Rick Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2018 11:05 AM

Thanks Shrek. Great idea and simple

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS