One Volume Commentaries

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 43 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 457
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 11:26 AM

David Thomas:

The breadth of authors makes me think MBC on sale is a good compliment to BKC within the same theological tradition.

YesYes

I agree

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 11:37 AM

DAL:
I would recommend. IMHO Moody is better than NBC and it would supplement your BKC better.

Just doing a few quick comparisons NBC still feels better. It is true that Moody is a closer theological fit to BKC but the NBC is still done by relatively conservative evangelical scholars and it speaks to me more than moody... But as with DAL it is just my most humble opinion and we are all quite different. And I must say I am a bit surprised that no one has championed Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Commentary as it too seems a natural companion to BKC albeit again conservative evangelical scholars and not necessarily as uniform in theological views as MBC/BKC. While often Nelson products can feel slightly sub par (great ideas but not quite executed at a level to make them a stellar resource) the NNIBC for the most part is a very pleasant surprise with its top quality... But from a similar vain I myself still prefer the The Baker Illustrated Bible Commentary Edited by Gary M. Burge and Andrew E. Hill (which is a revision/expansion of the Evangelical Commentary on the Bible Editor Walter A. Elwell which Logos of course does carry).

-dan

Posts 1128
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 6:02 AM

Beloved:

Liam:

I use the old Matthew Poole commentary for my regular Bible reading when I have questions about a difficult text. It’s phenomenal! I don’t think I’d be exaggerating if I said that I find answers to the questions I’m looking up about 9 out of 10 times! Better than anything else out there in my mind!

Thank you, Liam,

I have this in my library and was unaware of its excellence! Thanks so very much for pointing it out.

Hope you find it helpful Beloved!

Posts 480
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 7:17 PM

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.  I have received some very helpful suggestions.  I think other people have benefited from your suggestions as well. Some I already have in my library and a few to add to my shopping list.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS