One Volume Commentaries

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 479
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 11:26 AM

David Thomas:

The breadth of authors makes me think MBC on sale is a good compliment to BKC within the same theological tradition.

YesYes

I agree

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 11:37 AM

DAL:
I would recommend. IMHO Moody is better than NBC and it would supplement your BKC better.

Just doing a few quick comparisons NBC still feels better. It is true that Moody is a closer theological fit to BKC but the NBC is still done by relatively conservative evangelical scholars and it speaks to me more than moody... But as with DAL it is just my most humble opinion and we are all quite different. And I must say I am a bit surprised that no one has championed Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Commentary as it too seems a natural companion to BKC albeit again conservative evangelical scholars and not necessarily as uniform in theological views as MBC/BKC. While often Nelson products can feel slightly sub par (great ideas but not quite executed at a level to make them a stellar resource) the NNIBC for the most part is a very pleasant surprise with its top quality... But from a similar vain I myself still prefer the The Baker Illustrated Bible Commentary Edited by Gary M. Burge and Andrew E. Hill (which is a revision/expansion of the Evangelical Commentary on the Bible Editor Walter A. Elwell which Logos of course does carry).

-dan

Posts 1176
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 6:02 AM

Beloved:

Liam:

I use the old Matthew Poole commentary for my regular Bible reading when I have questions about a difficult text. It’s phenomenal! I don’t think I’d be exaggerating if I said that I find answers to the questions I’m looking up about 9 out of 10 times! Better than anything else out there in my mind!

Thank you, Liam,

I have this in my library and was unaware of its excellence! Thanks so very much for pointing it out.

Hope you find it helpful Beloved!

Posts 501
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 7:17 PM

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.  I have received some very helpful suggestions.  I think other people have benefited from your suggestions as well. Some I already have in my library and a few to add to my shopping list.

Posts 32
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 1:00 PM

I like to start with, With the Word Bible Commentary, then the Summarized Bible for the New Testament and the Summarized Bible for the Old Testament  for a quick, comprehensive overview, at the beginning of a Bible study. If anyone knows of other good, brief, comprehensive overviews, please let me know.

After a comprehensive overview, I move on to the New Bible Commentary, the Bible Knowledge Commentary, the Believer's Bible Commentary, the Moody Bible Commentary, and The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Abridged, to get a thorough grip.

If I need detailed, in depth comments, I may consult Lenski (bought the hardcover edition in Bible College) for the New Testament, or buy an individual volume of the Word Biblical Commentary. Keil and Delitzsch are also pretty detailed (but dated) for the Old Testament, and you can get it for free on many Bible programs.

Most of these commentaries are affordable ($50-ish or less).

Posts 46
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 7:47 PM

DIsciple II:
I use custom grouping of commentaries in Desktop PG so I prioritise these first

How do you do all that?

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 9:10 PM

This thread made me wonder: how many 1 Volume Commentaries do I own. I bought quite a lot of Packages through the years, but I never took note of the individual commentaries that could be considered 1 or 2 volume commentaries.

Is there an easy way (rule set) that will show only the 1 or 2 volume commentaries in my library?

I currently use this rule
type:bible-commentary ANDNOT series:* AND (((subject:"Bible—Commentaries" ANDNOT subject:"Bible—Commentaries—Collected works") OR (subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” AND subject:”Bible. .N.T.--Commentaries”) OR subject:"bible handbooks" OR subject:"bible introductions") OR mytag:commentary-one-volume) ANDNOT title:volumes

But I am not sure if it shows ALL possible one or two volume commentaries in my library

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 1:50 AM

Y’all realize this is a 2018 thread, right? 😂 time sure flies!

DAL

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 4:49 AM

Hahaha. Yeah, but the thread made me think. I have a rule for some 1 volume commentaries, but I never considered 2 volume commentaries

So it may be old.... but for me still relevant Stick out tongue

Posts 501
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 6:56 AM

DAL:

Y’all realize this is a 2018 thread, right? 😂 time sure flies!

DAL

It sure does.  Nice to see it resurrected.  It has been very helpful for me..

Posts 25271
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 7:13 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

It is overly complex as type:bible-commentary AND subject:"Bible—Commentaries" will get one-volume commentaries. If you do have many exceptions (the ANDNOT's) then tag the relevant ones with mytag:commentary-one-volume.

(subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” AND subject:”Bible.N.T.--Commentaries”) may get a couple of commentaries, but not two-volume ones!

(subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” OR subject:”Bible.N.T.--Commentaries”) is closer, but you cannot "pair" OT and NT volumes without tagging them e.g. mytag:commentary-two-volume. And it is conceivable that some may not be split as OT + NT volumes.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 8:28 AM

Dave Hooton:

Sarel Slabbert:

It is overly complex as type:bible-commentary AND subject:"Bible—Commentaries" will get one-volume commentaries. If you do have many exceptions (the ANDNOT's) then tag the relevant ones with mytag:commentary-one-volume.

(subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” AND subject:”Bible.N.T.--Commentaries”) may get a couple of commentaries, but not two-volume ones!

(subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” OR subject:”Bible.N.T.--Commentaries”) is closer, but you cannot "pair" OT and NT volumes without tagging them e.g. mytag:commentary-two-volume. And it is conceivable that some may not be split as OT + NT volumes.

Thanks for the syntax tips.

Posts 25271
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 2:57 PM

Sarel Slabbert:
type:bible-commentary ANDNOT series:* AND (((subject:"Bible—Commentaries" ANDNOT subject:"Bible—Commentaries—Collected works") OR (subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” AND subject:”Bible. .N.T.--Commentaries”) OR subject:"bible handbooks" OR subject:"bible introductions") OR mytag:commentary-one-volume) ANDNOT title:volumes

But I am not sure if it shows ALL possible one or two volume commentaries in my library

Further to my comments above:

subject:"bible handbooks" OR subject:"bible introductions" is usually associated with subject:"Bible—Commentaries" (when they are type:commentary), and therefore unnecessary.

ANDNOT title:volumes omits at least two one-volume commentaries! This is not needed.

ANDNOT series:* has little value e.g. what if Faithlife added a series name to a one-volume commentary?

So, I would simplify your rule to:

type:bible-commentary AND ((subject:"Bible—Commentaries" ANDNOT subject:"Bible—Commentaries—Collected works") OR mytag:commentary-one-volume OR mytag:commentary-two-volume)

If you feel that one-volume commentaries have been omitted, then use your commentary-one-volume tag e.g. The Companion Bible. The two-volume tag comes from my previous comment.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 9:16 PM

Dave Hooton:

Sarel Slabbert:

Further to my comments above:

subject:"bible handbooks" OR subject:"bible introductions" is usually associated with subject:"Bible—Commentaries" (when they are type:commentary), and therefore unnecessary.

ANDNOT title:volumes omits at least two one-volume commentaries! This is not needed.

ANDNOT series:* has little value e.g. what if Faithlife added a series name to a one-volume commentary?

So, I would simplify your rule to:

type:bible-commentary AND ((subject:"Bible—Commentaries" ANDNOT subject:"Bible—Commentaries—Collected works") OR mytag:commentary-one-volume OR mytag:commentary-two-volume)

If you feel that one-volume commentaries have been omitted, then use your commentary-one-volume tag e.g. The Companion Bible. The two-volume tag comes from my previous comment.

And that is why resurrecting an old thread is sometimes worth it Stick out tongue

Thank you very much

Posts 18059
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 10:21 PM

Sarel Slabbert:
Is there an easy way (rule set) that will show only the 1 or 2 volume commentaries in my library?

Type:Commentary AND (Subj:(Bible.O.T.,Bible.N.T.) ANDNOT Subj:(Apocrypha,Pentateuch,Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers,Deuteronomy,Joshua,Judges,Ruth,Samuel,Kings,Chronicles, Ezra,Nehemiah,Esther,Job,Psalm,Proverbs,Ecclesiast,Song,Haftarot,Isaiah,Jeremiah,Lamentations,Ezekiel,Daniel, Minor,Hosea,Joel,Amos,Obadiah,Jonah,Micah,Nahum,Habakkuk,Zephaniah,Haggai,Zechariah,Malachi, Esdras,Tobit,Judith,Wisdom,Sirach,Baruch,Maccabees, Gospels,Parables,Matthew,Mark,Luke,John,Acts, Epistle,Romans,Corinthians,Galatians,Ephesians,Philippians,Colossians,Thessalonians,Timothy,Titus, Philemon,Hebrews,James,Peter,Jude,Revelation))

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25271
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 3:30 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Sarel Slabbert:

Type:Commentary AND (Subj:(Bible.O.T.,Bible.N.T.) ANDNOT Subj:(Apocrypha,Pentateuch,Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers,Deuteronomy,Joshua,Judges,Ruth,Samuel,Kings,Chronicles, Ezra,Nehemiah,Esther,Job,Psalm,Proverbs,Ecclesiast,Song,Haftarot,Isaiah,Jeremiah,Lamentations,Ezekiel,Daniel, Minor,Hosea,Joel,Amos,Obadiah,Jonah,Micah,Nahum,Habakkuk,Zephaniah,Haggai,Zechariah,Malachi, Esdras,Tobit,Judith,Wisdom,Sirach,Baruch,Maccabees, Gospels,Parables,Matthew,Mark,Luke,John,Acts, Epistle,Romans,Corinthians,Galatians,Ephesians,Philippians,Colossians,Thessalonians,Timothy,Titus, Philemon,Hebrews,James,Peter,Jude,Revelation))

This is overly complicated and doesn't provide one-volume commentaries. It seems to be an attempt at two-volume commentaries, but it will omit commentaries on the OT with Apocrypha. A simpler rule is:

Type:Commentary AND Subject:(Bible.O.T.-Commentaries, Bible.N.T.-Commentaries, Bible.N.T.-Criticism)

But you still have to manually "pair" commentaries and tag them as "two-volume". As they will usually have a series name, a better rule would be:

Type:Commentary AND Subject:(Bible.O.T.-Commentaries, Bible.N.T.-Commentaries, N.T.-Criticism)  AND Series:*

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 18059
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 10:36 PM

Dave Hooton:

A simpler rule is:

Type:Commentary AND Subject:(Bible.O.T.-Commentaries, Bible.N.T.-Commentaries, Bible.N.T.-Criticism)

This rule included

• 35 Volume Preacher's Commentary series
  • 10 Volume "El Conocimiento Bíblico" series
  • 2 "Philo and Holy Scripture" volumes on the Pentateuch
  • 1 volume out of 5 "Standard Reference Library Through-The-Bible Commentary series

Dave Hooton:
This is overly complicated and doesn't provide one-volume commentaries. It seems to be an attempt at two-volume commentaries, but it will omit commentaries on the OT with Apocrypha.

Modified complex rule to include simpler rule results for one to three volume commentaries covering OT and/or NT (including OT with Apocrypha)

Type:Commentary AND ((Subj:Bible.O.T.--Commentaries AND Subj:Apocrypha) OR (Subj:(Bible.O.T.,Bible.N.T.) ANDNOT Subj:(Apocrypha,Sermons,Study,Pentateuch,Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers,Deuteronomy,Joshua,Judges,Ruth,Samuel,Kings,Chronicles, Ezra,Nehemiah,Esther,Job,Psalm,Proverbs,Ecclesiast,Song,Haftarot,Isaiah,Isaias,Jeremiah,Lamentations,Ezekiel,Daniel, Minor,Hosea,Joel,Amos,Obadiah,Jonah,Micah,Nahum,Habakkuk,Zephaniah,Haggai,Zechariah,Malachi, Esdras,Tobit,Judith,Wisdom,Sirach,Baruch,Maccabees,Gospels,Parables,Matthew,Mateo,Mark,Luke,John,Juan,Acts, Epistle,Romans,Corinthians,Galatians,Ephesians,Philippians,Colossians,Thessalonians,Timothy,Titus,Tito, Philemon,Hebrews,James,Peter,Jude,Revelation))

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 46
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 1:53 PM

Scott:
DIsciple II:
I use custom grouping of commentaries in Desktop PG so I prioritise these first

Can someone explain this to me?

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 7:05 PM

I just added the NIB One Volume Commentary to my one volume commentary collection; except I had to add it to my Accordance Bible Software, since Logos doesn't sell it.

I also have their New Interpreter's Study Bible which I bought a while ago.  They seem to be different resources but from the same NIB family.  The one volume commentary is not an abridged version of the 12 volume set (1 volume in Logos and elsewhere).  And the notes from the study Bible are different too.

Nice addition to my studies!

DAL

Ps.  The links I provided are for the print editions which contain sample pages, in case some of you might want to check them out.

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 1:14 PM

DAL:

One person recently (within the last year i believe anyway) complained over the lack of a NRSV based study Bible in Logos. the NISB is a very fine study bible that would fill that gap nicely. Perhaps a wee bit more conservative than the other NIB resources it is very nice indeed Bruce Metzger called it the "most helpful" study Bible available****.

-dan

**** Exact quote is: "Of the current editions of Study Bibles, in my opinion the most helpful for pastors, teachers, and all students of the Scriptures has now been issued by Abingdon Press under the dedicated guidance of Dr. Walter Harrelson." - Bruce M. Metzger, Professor of New Testament, Emeritus, Princeton Theological Seminary

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS