Correction for How do I perform the following search

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 43
William Norman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2018 7:01 PM

I was reading the lectionary lesson from 1 Kings chapter 3.  Verse 10 says that it pleased the Lord that Solomon asked for an understanding mind.

How can I use Logos 7 to  search for scripture passages that show actions that people performed  which had  the following results. The scripture say the action  pleased God or was acceptable to God.?  

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2018 3:18 AM

It's a difficult question particularly because there are different ways used to express the concept.

So while the NIV - for example - in that verse has "The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this." the LEB has "The word was good in the eyes of the Lord that Solomon had asked this thing".

Genesis 8:21 has "The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart" and this might also fall in the scope of what you are looking for, but is quite different in how it is structured.

Both of these are tagged as a "Propositional Outline Experience" and so you could search for all occurrences of these that intersect with the person of God. That would give you a wider list than you are looking for that you could then work through.

So I'm afraid I can't think of any easy way of doing this particular search - hopefully others will be able to do better.

Posts 24482
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 5:11 PM

Graham Criddle:
So I'm afraid I can't think of any easy way of doing this particular search

I tried Propositional Outline for "Experience" and "Affirmation", but they fell short compared to (pleased  NEAR <Person God>) in the ESV. Because of translational differences, you should compare it with results in other bibles e.g. LEB.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17817
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 8:16 PM

Dave Hooton:
Because of translational differences, you should compare it with results in other bibles e.g. LEB.

Bible Sense to be good (of qualities) works in other translations:

(<Sense to be good (of qualities)> OR <Sense = to walk>) NEAR (<Person God> OR <Person Jesus>)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 43
William Norman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 8:18 PM

Thank you Dave. That was a big help.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS