printing highlights and notes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2018 4:46 AM

I am new to Logos, and am trying to find out how to use this for my needs.

I will be categorizing Bible verses into several groups as I read. Ideally I'd use different colored highlights that show as I read. During the reading and sorting I will comment on them with notes. Then I want to export them by the sort (color), with verse number and notes, so I can work with them on Microsoft Word.

Should I use highlights, notes, clippings?

I'm finding that sorting by clippings and then saving/exporting as passage list gives me the verse number but not the notes. But saving/exporting as clippings gives me the verse and notes but not a standard verse number next to the verse.

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2018 5:16 AM

Hi Darp - and welcome to Logos and to the forums.

First thing to check - you posted this in the Logos 6 forum. Are you running Logos 6 or 7 (7.16 is the current version)? If Logos 6 I recommend upgrading to at least the free Logos 7 engine available at https://www.logos.com/product/136022/basic 

Darp:

I will be categorizing Bible verses into several groups as I read. Ideally I'd use different colored highlights that show as I read. During the reading and sorting I will comment on them with notes. Then I want to export them by the sort (color), with verse number and notes, so I can work with them on Microsoft Word.

Should I use highlights, notes, clippings?

For the usage you are describing I would recommend using notes and highlights. (Highlights are currently - see below - a special form of notes so when you are creating a highlight you are actually creating a note and it is stored in a notes document).

Below is an example where I have created a number of notes in John - each stored in the "John - Devotional" notes document and I've highlighted some text in verse 1.

I could choose different highlighting colours to represent different categories and then I could either add new notes as separate items or add a comment to an existing highlight transforming it into a "normal / full" note.

The Print / Export function then provides the export capability (here I've switched from a Compact Notes display to a Full one to show all of the text)

If this gives you what you are looking for please let us know if you have any problems in setting it up - ensuring highlights go into the right Notes Document, for example, requires a bit of work.

Hope this helps, Graham

PS: I said "currently" above and I was referring to the fact that a new notes system is in development and currently in beta testing.

This will look something like this

so provides similar functionality but allows you to drill down more precisely on "facets" of the note. So - for example - you will be able to assign tags to notes and then just look at notes with a particular tag.

At the moment this doesn't support all of the existing functionality - it doesn't support export for example - but I just wanted to mention it so you have as complete a picture as possible. Work you do in the existing notes environment will migrate over to the new one once generally available.

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:42 AM

Wonderful! Perfect answer, and thank you for the screenshots, since that makes everything make sense. Much appreciation!!

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:48 AM

Just one clarification, please. With the beta, will the highlights and notes you describe transfer over into similar functions? In other words, will the upgrade *enhance* the highlights/notes or will it make them obsolete?

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 9:15 AM

Darp:

Just one clarification, please. With the beta, will the highlights and notes you describe transfer over into similar functions? In other words, will the upgrade *enhance* the highlights/notes or will it make them obsolete?

The distinction between notes and highlights will still be present - but it will be easier to manage them.

If you look at the top left of the last screenshot on my previous post you will see a "Type" facet with two entries "Notes" and "Highlights".

Selecting one or the other will cause the Notes Tool to display either Notes or Highlights and then - with the other facets - you can drill down as required.

Does that help or am I missing your point?

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 3:54 PM

Let's say I have three different colors I use for highlighting. Yellow, green, red. Let's say I want to pull out (and export) all the yellow highlights with the verses, citations, and any notes I've written associated with the yellow.

Since I have only been highlighting my Bible with colors like this, I want a way to be able to use Logos to pull together all the yellow verses, for example. I haven't begun in Logos yet, so I want to know it's not a waste of my efforts. It seems like this is what I will be able to do with Logos. 

From what I understand, doing this is currently possible using the method you describe above. And I understand the same function will be available with the Beta, though with more options (ie: tags within the yellow highlights). Do I understand correctly?

So related to this let me ask one more question for my brain that craves structure.

What is the relationship between notes and highlights. Use a an analogy if you can. (Would a library analogy work? books/shelves/rooms) How are they related structurally? Is one a subset of the other? Which is a higher level? Or are they parallel but also with bridges to each other? In this, how do tags fit? Is this question too abstract?

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 1:02 AM

Darp:

Since I have only been highlighting my Bible with colors like this, I want a way to be able to use Logos to pull together all the yellow verses, for example. I haven't begun in Logos yet, so I want to know it's not a waste of my efforts. It seems like this is what I will be able to do with Logos. 

From what I understand, doing this is currently possible using the method you describe above. And I understand the same function will be available with the Beta, though with more options (ie: tags within the yellow highlights). Do I understand correctly?

It can give you what you want but you need to do a little work - I'll try and elaborate with the screenshot below. This is based on the current notes system. 

In the screenshot above I have created a highlight, a note on a portion of text and a note on a verse reference.These are shown in the biblical text and the contents are shown in the Notes Document in the middle of the screen.

1. You can see that for the first one there is no "icon" - it is simply highlighting a portion of text
  2. The second there is an icon (this is optional) but I enabled it to indicate that there is some text associated with the highlight. So when you create a "note by selection" you get a note with an associated highlight colour.
  3. In the third all you get is an icon to indicate the presence of a note - there is no highlight associated with it.

You can search for the presence of a highlight - the pane on the left - but it only returns the first two (the notes with highlights) and not the third. And it doesn't show you the content of the note in the second case. You can export the results of this to a document but it won't give the complete picture.

However, you can export the Notes document and this will give you the complete contents of the document which - I think - gives you what you want. 

For this to work, you need to set things up so that all "Brown Highlights" - for example - go into the "Brown Highlight" Notes Document and to ensure that all the notes you create associated with Brown Highlights go there as well. If you duplicate this for the other highlight colours you should achieve what you want. This is possible to do but takes a bit of work and keeping things clear as you highlight and take notes.

(The new Notes Tool should provide similar functionality but it doesn't have an export capability at the moment).

I'm not sure if the above makes too much sense - please get back if anything needs clarification.

Darp:
What is the relationship between notes and highlights. Use a an analogy if you can. (Would a library analogy work? books/shelves/rooms) How are they related structurally? Is one a subset of the other? Which is a higher level? Or are they parallel but also with bridges to each other? In this, how do tags fit? Is this question too abstract?

Maybe a filing cabinet idea works here:

• The filing cabinet contains all the research you have done
  • Each drawer in the cabinet contains all the information that you have coded with a particular colour
  • Within the yellow drawer there are a number of files:
    • Some are simply yellow sheets of paper with the biblical text written on them (this is the simple highlight)
    • Some are yellow sheets of paper with the biblical text written on them and on the other side the notes you wrote related to it (this is the highlight with some comments)
    • Some are white sheets of paper with the bible reference on then and on the other side the notes you wrote related to that verse / passage (this is the note taken against a reference)
  • You can "upgrade" the first sheet to the second one simply by writing some comments on the back
  • You have attached different coloured paper clips to some of the sheets of paper making it easy to pull out different subsets of sheets if you want to - this is analogous to tags

Note: In the current system, searching by tags isn't as great as it could be - it will be better in the new one.

Does this help at all or just make things more complicated?

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 5:43 AM

No confusion helps me a lot. Thanks! Thanks for the detailed explanations, Graham.

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 11:22 AM

Darp:
No confusion helps me a lot.

Excellent

Darp:
Thanks for the detailed explanations, Graham.

You are very welcome.

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 1:32 PM

I have been trying to use the system you explain.

I realize this is miscategorized, since I am actually using Logos 7 as well as iPad.  I'll begin a new topic under iPad and Logos 7.

Posts 15
Dar_B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 30 2019 3:10 AM

I'm asking again, now with Logos 8 on the table.

I've been working for almost a year according to the previous comments, and have my texts highlighted/notes made. But this update still does not show the Bible verse addresses (anchor texts).

Is there a way for the printout to show anchor texts? The preview shows anchor text, highlighting, and notes. But the printout has everything EXCEPT the anchor text.

I looked through the settings and found nothing to address this. There is a new thread about this as well, others having the same issue.

It's an essential problem. Without the citation, the text loses its meaningfulness.

------------

For example

Preview

Printout preview

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS